Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Defender Down

Options
  • 07-07-2014 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

I reset my computer yesterday and the windows defender has been down since. This has created a whole range of problems from my microsoft word to skype.

I tried logging in as an administrator but it won't allow me. I tried uninstalling it, it won't allow me. I tried refreshing my computer again but it wont allow me. This is a serious problem.

I tried downloading a fix it instrument but I prevented from downloading and updating.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Do you have any other virus scanner installed alongside defender? What version of Windows are you on?

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

I'm on Windows 8. I have McAfee

Error Code 0X800106ba

The above error code is part of it. I tried the solutions online but none work. I suspect it's a a hacker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Try using System Restore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Can you access Safe Mode? Tap F8 while your machine is powering on and you should get a menu to allow you in to Safe Mode With Networking. Then you can try to uninstall / install the MS Fixit.

• Advertisement

Can you access Safe Mode? Tap F8 while your machine is powering on and you should get a menu to allow you in to Safe Mode With Networking. Then you can try to uninstall / install the MS Fixit.

Thanks again solomafioso. Safe mode did the trick. It atomically repaired itself once I entered safe mode and logged in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

William F wrote: »
    Thanks again solomafioso. Safe mode did the trick. It atomically repaired itself once I entered safe mode and logged in.

Might want to do some 'cleanup' or 'maintenance' in Safe Mode. Just to ensure that everything's working ok.

Run a scan, update anti virus, etc.

Glad it worked thought.

Advertisement