Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat man, need help

Options
  • 07-07-2014 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm overweight, not by much mind, and fairly unfit. I'd like to change this, however due to work, I'm only free in the mornings and every other weekend.

I really want to take classes in some martial art or boxing, but I don't think know if anybody does morning classes in any of those, in cork.

I'd fear i would lose the motivation if I just joined a gym, and spent an hour on a treadmill or something.

There must be something I can do in the mornings, right???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

honestly if you are looking to get fit, and are bit overweight Judo might be a good fit for you, not sure if there are morning classes but if you can make the ones on mondays here (or find a club that does or will do morning classes, the extra weight could come in handy on this one,

alternatively how do you feel about doing yoga in a very hot sweaty room with a lot of others? if so Bikram yoga would be good for loosening you up and losing a bit of weight, my aunt lost loads doing it, they do morning classes too:

here is their website :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Hey, I'm overweight, not by much mind, and fairly unfit. I'd like to change this, however due to work, I'm only free in the mornings and every other weekend.

I really want to take classes in some martial art or boxing, but I don't think know if anybody does morning classes in any of those, in cork.

I'd fear i would lose the motivation if I just joined a gym, and spent an hour on a treadmill or something.

There must be something I can do in the mornings, right???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

How far is the journey to work? Cycling is a great way to get fit - not so much on the weight loss but it all helps.

If you can get in the Bike to Work scheme you can get some serious kit for relatively little money.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭hsilgnede

I've lost 16kgs just cycling and cutting out eating lots of crap. If you can replace some or all of your commute with a bike ride, it will get you on the road to where you want to be.

Literally and figuratively. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I've lost 11KG since Jan went from 82kg to 71. I cycle as often as I can but was making no progress until I changed my diet. Do exercise, it will make you feel great but unless your diet is clean don't expect much weight loss no matter how much you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

dave1982 wrote: »

Will second them. Great bunch of guys down there and excellent coaches. They're now on Centre Park Road.

Also, Training for Warriors on Forge Hill is excellent.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Training-for-Warriors-Cork/197707943732587

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

For anyone thinking of greeting into cycling - the Lidl cycling sale starts this Thursday - a great way of getting some essentials for a good price - helmets, gloves, shorts. For anyone thinking of gearing up for a commute they have rain jackets and rucksacks too.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/SID-B9F355D1-9DA28E98/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/Offers.htm?id=216

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

For post-baby weightloss I use myfitnesspal ap for calorie tracking. Works ok for me, getting there.

For fitness, I just jog and swim, so probably not the best if you are looking to muscle-up. I'd suggest a personal trainer or a boot camp. That way you have an appointment to show up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

evilivor wrote: »
    For anyone thinking of greeting into cycling - the Lidl cycling sale starts this Thursday - a great way of getting some essentials for a good price - helmets, gloves, shorts. For anyone thinking of gearing up for a commute they have rain jackets and rucksacks too.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/SID-B9F355D1-9DA28E98/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/Offers.htm?id=216

Aldi have cycling gear right now but there might not be much left at this stage.

Advertisement