Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opening account under alias

Options
  • 07-07-2014 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Can you open a bank account under an alias?  As in open it under a different name from your true name

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi nealcassidy

Thanks for your query.

A personal account will need to be opened under your 'true name'. We will require proof of 'true name' in the form photo identification (either passport or driving licence). 

If you would like to open a personal account with us, here is a handy link. It will give you contact details for our Account Opening Team or if you prefer to click the 'Request a Call Back' option. A colleague within this Team will be more than happy to help with opening an account, along with any necessary forms or queries you may have. 

We hope this helps answer your question. Any further queries, please feel free to ask.

Thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nealcassidy

Hi nealcassidy

Thanks for your query.

A personal account will need to be opened under your 'true name'. We will require proof of 'true name' in the form photo identification (either passport or driving licence). 

It will give you contact details for our Account Opening Team or if you prefer to click the 'Request a Call Back' option. A colleague within this Team will be more than happy to help with opening an account, along with any necessary forms or queries you may have. 

We hope this helps answer your question. Any further queries, please feel free to ask.

Thanks
    Alison
    Could i not open a business account under a certain title?   The reason i ask is that i am doing part time writing and basically just want to keep my real identity private.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Could i not open a business account under a certain title?   The reason i ask is that i am doing part time writing and basically just want to keep my real identity private.

You need to register a business name with the companies registration office. You can then use that registration cert to get a bank account in that name. The account would be in your name trading as xxxx xxxxxx so you can then receive cheques written to xxxx xxxxxx.
    You would also need to register for tax I presume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi nealcassidy, 

As mickdw mentions, you would need to register a business name with the Companies Registrations Office. If the business name is different to your surname, you would need to provide original or certified copy of the Certificate of Registration of Business Name as part of your account opening documents. 

If you would like to book an appointment with a branch and speak to a Business Advisor, we have an online form here

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nealcassidy

Hi nealcassidy, 

As mickdw mentions, you would need to register a business name with the Companies Registrations Office. If the business name is different to your surname, you would need to provide original or certified copy of the Certificate of Registration of Business Name as part of your account opening documents. 

If you would like to book an appointment with a branch and speak to a Business Advisor, we have an online form

Thanks

Billy
    Well i was thinking of going through kindle direct publishing and i believe they would look after the tax.   Thanks anyhow. Its only something i am doing in my spare time, so it will be further down the road when i delve deeper into it. I will call into a branch some day and ask around. Thanks anyhow  

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi nealcassidy

We wish you all the best with it! If you need our help again, just ask. 

Thanks
    Alison

Advertisement