Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent IPA kit

Options
  • 07-07-2014 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Could someone recommend me a decent IPA kit please? Perhaps something I can hack with some extra hops or the like.

I'm really pressed for time at the moment and my extract brews are finished (:() so I'm going to go the kit route for one brew, then move on to BIAB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The craft range IPA is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thanks lads. I think I'll have to go with that APA extract kit from the home brew company again actually and suck up the time cost. I just couldn't bring myself not to do it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Thanks for post khannie, it reminded me of a coopers ipa kit i have in the press. Struggling to make the time for an extract brew at the moment so think i ll try a hack on this. I ve actually ran out of beer😓

never hacked a k it before so we ll see.
    i found this on another forum and have all i need.

coopers ipa can,
    1.5kg light dme
    150g crystal steeped
    20g goldings @15mins
    20g goldings @ 5 mins
    20g goldings dry hopped
    s 04

made up to 23 litres. I think i ll go with 20 for something slightly stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Thanks for post khannie, it reminded me of a coopers ipa kit i have in the press. Struggling to make the time for an extract brew at the moment so think i ll try a hack on this. I ve actually ran out of beer😓

never hacked a k it before so we ll see.
    i found this on another forum and have all i need.

coopers ipa can,
    1.5kg light dme
    150g crystal steeped
    20g goldings @15mins
    20g goldings @ 5 mins
    20g goldings dry hopped
    s 04

made up to 23 litres. I think i ll go with 20 for something slightly stronger.

I'm an all grain myself, it's been a while since I did kits but that looks like it should be ok. However, if you want a proper IPA taste then I'd be adding more hops at all stages, bump them all up to at least 35g, perhaps 45 for the first addition.
    I could be wrong though since it is a long time since I've done a kit.
    Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Bottled this over weekend. Went with 30g Golding s at 15 mins and 5 mins. Didn't bother with the dry hopping.

og 1050
    fg 1012

initial taste seems fine and definate ipa character. Hopefully a couple of weeks in the bottle and it ll be tasty.

Advertisement