Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tipperary v Offaly, SHC Qualifier R2, Neutral Venue, TBC

• 07-07-2014 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Is it a good draw for Tipp, or maybe Offaly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭plumber77

Tipp I reckon. Offaly are poor and it gives Tipp the chance to smooth out a few issues before the next round. Was at the game Saturday eve, still something not quite right with how Tipp are applying themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Offaly are so poor that this match probably doesn't even deserve it's own thread! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Offaly are so poor that this match probably doesn't even deserve it's own thread! :pac:

In before me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Wonder what the handicap will be? 13 or 14 I reckon.

• Advertisement

akelly02 wrote: »

18 I reckon

18 I reckon

As an Offaly man I will be going to portlaoise with the hope of keeping it under a point a man.

akelly02 wrote: »
    As an Offaly man I will be going to portlaoise with the hope of keeping it under a point a man.

Will be hard to manage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

All this talk of writing off Offaly could be a bad thing, be some laugh if they actually beat Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

There is no way Offaly are going to lose this by 15 points. I do not expect them to win but they can and will go head to head with Tipp for long enough to cause a bit of bother. Kilkenny in Portlaois would have been a different animal to Kilkenny at home in the Nowlan Park.

• Advertisement

There is no way Offaly are going to lose this by 15 points. I do not expect them to win but they can and will go head to head with Tipp for long enough to cause a bit of bother. Kilkenny in Portlaois would have been a different animal to Kilkenny at home in the Nowlan Park.

Nah it wouldn't. They were as soft as a fried egg in that game, don't care where the game was held, the way Walter Walsh turned his marker was scandolous for the first goal and even at that they had ample opportunity to clear it. And don't get me started on Colin Fennelly's goal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

I see this is live on SKY. Nice choice.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Honest to god savannahkat, they were the worst inter-county team I have seen in a long, long time. I can't put into words how bad they were.

Well they did beat Antrim and they did draw with Limerick in the league so maybe just maybe they can maybe do something like maybe playing 13 backs and maybe a roving midfield. I am just saying maybe if all else fails the very well maybe able to cause a small surprise by holding Tipp to less than 15, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Offaly vs KK in NP were the worst IC team I can remember. If they play like that against Tipp you'll be talking 20+ pts again.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

Well they did beat Antrim and they did draw with Limerick in the league so maybe just maybe they can maybe do something like maybe playing 13 backs and maybe a roving midfield. I am just saying maybe if all else fails the very well maybe able to cause a small surprise by holding Tipp to less than 15, maybe.

They needed an injury time goal to beat antrim!!! Wouldnt read too much into their draw with Limerick in the league, galway hammered limerick in the league quarter final and their season didnt exactly turn out too great. Tipp are serious contenders imo and getting on a roll, they will be hard to beat (provided they discover a full back!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

donnem33 wrote: »
    They needed an injury time goal to beat antrim!!! Wouldnt read too much into their draw with Limerick in the league, galway hammered limerick in the league quarter final and their season didnt exactly turn out too great. Tipp are serious contenders imo and getting on a roll, they will be hard to beat (provided they discover a full back!!)

Even as a Tipp fan I'm gonna be disagreeing with you on this. Unless they consistently become more clinical, it really has cost them this year.

Annoyed I missed the Galway game, sounds incredible. Hopefully it'll give them some amount of confidence though to really push on. Glad this will be on SKy too it appears as I couldn't make it.

in fairness they missed between 5-8 clear goal chances depending how you look at it, so wouldnt read too much into that. Antrim Keeper was on fire, aswell as a couple of poor executions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Offaly should consider taking on Tipp in the same way that Laois took on Galway. Tipp will win but Offaly must have a plan to keep the score down. They tried it against Kilkenny and it didn't work but they will have had more time to work on it since. Their corner forward was the extra man in defence in Nowlan Park but he wasn't at the races. Either they try some other player or have him up to speed.

Over rating Tipp and under rating Offaly. I win becomes a roll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

letowski wrote: »

I know they have to offer themselves some solace, but serious insult to Waterford to suggest they would have had any chance of progression against us. Serious insult to Laois, even.

Over rating Tipp and under rating Offaly. I win becomes a roll.

They will beat offaly fairly handy this weekend. They wont fear anyone left, confidence will be high and it will take a good side to beat them.

They will beat offaly fairly handy this weekend. They wont fear anyone left, confidence will be high and it will take a good side to beat them.

Very true and there will be plenty of good sides still in it - Cork, Limerick, Waterford, Kilkenny, Clare/Wexford, Dublin!

Yeah sure and pigs will fly.

Yeah sure and pigs will fly.

Pigs have the same chance of flying in your estimation as Tipp do of beating the worst Offaly team I've ever seen comfortably? There have been a few bad ones in recent times, but this one beats all.

I hate to be so bullish in criticism of a team, but seriously from the start of the year to know they have been terrible. Loughnane's comments seemed incredibly harsh, the kind of thing that would spur on any team but no this Offaly team by rights should have been relegated from 1B. They went 9 points down to Kerry in that league relegation playoff, who didn't even win the Christy Ring.

And really that performance against Kilkenny was one of the worst I've seen. Wouldn't have a go at them for having a tough task against Antrim in Ballycastle, but at the same time they don't have players of the caliber Tipp have. Tipp should be winning this comfortably.

Pigs have the same chance of flying in your estimation as Tipp do of beating the worst Offaly team I've ever seen comfortably? There have been a few bad ones in recent times, but this one beats all.

I hate to be so bullish in criticism of a team, but seriously from the start of the year to know they have been terrible. Loughnane's comments seemed incredibly harsh, the kind of thing that would spur on any team but no this Offaly team by rights should have been relegated from 1B. They went 9 points down to Kerry in that league relegation playoff, who didn't even win the Christy Ring.

And really that performance against Kilkenny was one of the worst I've seen. Wouldn't have a go at them for having a tough task against Antrim in Ballycastle, but at the same time they don't have players of the caliber Tipp have. Tipp should be winning this comfortably.

Offaly drew with Limerick who beat Tipp iffen you want to go down the road of comparisons.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Which is completely irrelevant.

For all Tipps problems, they are streets ahead of Offaly right now.

Tipp were probably the better team in the league final, should really have won, Offaly have been awful. Take out Brian Carroll and Rory Hannafy out of that team and they'd struggle to beat any team in the Christy Ring Cup.

I cant see anything other than a morale boosting win for Tipperary here.

Offaly drew with Limerick who beat Tipp iffen you want to go down the road of comparisons.

Wow, what a team. Put them in Munster they'd probably win it.

SK, they are sh*te. There is no point beating around the bush. Two weeks before there game v Kilkenny, they lost to Waterford, 6-23 to 1-14 I believe in a challenge match. And apparently, we have no goal scoring forwards (and I don't think that is too far from the truth). You could write it off as a challenge, only they gave a replica performance v Kilkenny.

• Advertisement

Offaly are going to turn up and roll over. Offaly should be 20 points down and half time and probably wont even bother to come out for the send half. No pride in that lot at all. Showers of gutless and heartless wonders. I doubt it said Kroger.

Offaly are going to turn up and roll over. Offaly should be 20 points down and half time and probably wont even bother to come out for the send half. No pride in that lot at all. Showers of gutless and heartless wonders. I doubt it said Kroger.

Can you explain the Kilkenny v Offaly game and your thoughts on that one? Thank you

Completely irrelevant! galway hammered limerick in the league and subsequently lost to tipp. your argument has no logic

Completely irrelevant! galway hammered limerick in the league and subsequently lost to tipp. your argument has no logic
    It is every bit as logical as other posters quoting the poor games Offaly played which admitedly is more than the good ones. Tipperary were no world beaters in the earlier parts of the league were lucky not to be in the relegation final and then went on to lose to Limerick fell six points behind a poor Galway team. I never said Offaly would beat Tipp but neither do I believe Tipp will hammer them.

It is every bit as logical as other posters quoting the poor games Offaly played which admitedly is more than the good ones. Tipperary were no world beaters in the earlier parts of the league were lucky not to be in the relegation final and then went on to lose to Limerick fell six points behind a poor Galway team. I never said Offaly would beat Tipp but neither do I believe Tipp will hammer them.

A poor Galway team that drew with the team that bet Offaly by 26 points. I believe Kilkenny were 4 points or so down to the poor Galway team as well at some stage in the replay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

A poor Galway team that drew with the team that bet Offaly by 26 points. I believe Kilkenny were 4 points or so down to the poor Galway team as well at some stage in the replay?

Think it was by 3 points but that was after 10 minutes. In saying that, apart from mental 5 minutes the first day out, Galway never looked like they could win either game, Kilkenny were well in control of both.

As for the game on Saturday, if Tipp don't beat Offaly by 10 points or more, it will be the result of the championship. Tipp aren't the side their supporters are making them out to be after winning one match, but they're at least a 20 point better side than Offaly. I could actually see Tipp set a record of some sort on Saturday.

• Advertisement

randd1 wrote: »
    Think it was by 3 points but that was after 10 minutes. In saying that, apart from mental 5 minutes the first day out, Galway never looked like they could win either game, Kilkenny were well in control of both.

As for the game on Saturday, if Tipp don't beat Offaly by 10 points or more, it will be the result of the championship. Tipp aren't the side their supporters are making them out to be after winning one match, but they're at least a 20 point better side than Offaly. I could actually see Tipp set a record of some sort on Saturday.

I dunno, it was in a very short space of time that Kilkenny equally opened up that lead in the first game. Thought they were well in it, but Kilkenny should have been home and hosed after that. Not arguing that anyway, Kilkenny well deserved to go through over the course of both games.

But the point is, as you have pointed out, that this Offaly team is that one team that is as bad or worse as they seem on the surface. Wish it wasn't so, get no pleasure from it, but they were mind blowingly bad in that game vs Kilkenny and truth be told Kilkenny could have won by 40 points if they wanted/needed to.

adrian522 wrote: »

I cant see anything other than a morale boosting win for Tipperary here.

This is a no win game for Tipp. If they don't beat them comprehensively, they'll get slaughtered by their own fans. If they beat them by a cricket score it'll be a case of 'shure it was only Offaly anyway'. The only positive for Tipp is that their passage to the next round is assured. Remember, Offaly were 50 to 1 to beat KK.

citykat wrote: »
    This is a no win game for Tipp. If they don't beat them comprehensively, they'll get slaughtered by their own fans. If they beat them by a cricket score it'll be a case of 'shure it was only Offaly anyway'. The only positive for Tipp is that their passage to the next round is assured. Remember, Offaly were 50 to 1 to beat KK.

It's a massive win. They get a soft route to the quarter final, where they will quite likely meet Dublin. I don't think they could have asked for better from the position they were in to be honest.

It's a massive win. They get a soft route to the quarter final, where they will quite likely meet Dublin. I don't think they could have asked for better from the position they were in to be honest.

When Tipp hammer Offaly they'll (especially the manager for some reason) be hyped up massively. We've all seen how this Tipp team react to the hype.

When Tipp hammer Offaly they'll (especially the manager for some reason) be hyped up massively. We've all seen how this Tipp team react to the hype.

I'm not sure they'll be anymore hyped as they were last Sunday. Plenty talk of them being back. This game guarantees progression, and they'll be in an all-ireland quarter final with a good shout.

I don't see them as all-ireland contenders just yet, so in light of that what have they to lose really? After last year, and the way this year was starting to head, an all-ireland semi final would be a fine turnaround for them in my view.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure they'll be anymore hyped as they were last Sunday. Plenty talk of them being back. This game guarantees progression, and they'll be in an all-ireland quarter final with a good shout.

I don't see them as all-ireland contenders just yet, so in light of that what have they to lose really? After last year, and the way this year was starting to head, an all-ireland semi final would be a fine turnaround for them in my view.

You mightn't see them as AI contenders - not sure their fans would agree with you. Narrowly beaten by KK in the league final. If Limerick win Sunday, puts Tipp's defeat in perspective.

You mightn't see them as AI contenders - not sure their fans would agree with you. Narrowly beaten by KK in the league final. If Limerick win Sunday, puts Tipp's defeat in perspective.

Living close to the border I know plenty of their supporters. Not sure they've started considering them all-ireland contenders, though obviously more upbeat after last Saturday. Then again they had no meas on them before that game.

Have a look at the Tipp page on here, don't see statements of wild confidence their either. I can't see how this game is a bad draw. Then again, you seem to be determined to make an argument for them as all-ireland contenders based on the last sentence :p

Big if on Limerick too by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Tipp Team v Offaly:Gleeson Stapleton P Maher Cahill Barrett Barry B Maher Bergin Woodlock Ryan P Maher ODwyer N McGrath Callanan Corbett

Bergin starts in place of Ronan Maher. Strong suggestion that Barry will line out at FB too.

Michael Ryan was in the paper phrasing himself and his fellow selectors for picking Ronan Maher against Galway. On reading it I wondered what his logic for this was, especially that the chap was taken off! Now he drops him for the. Offaly game.

As they say, self praise is no praise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Grats wrote: »
    Michael Ryan was in the paper phrasing himself and his fellow selectors for picking Ronan Maher against Galway. On reading it I wondered what his logic for this was, especially that the chap was taken off! Now he drops him for the. Offaly game.

I am guessing you are not a Tipp fan Grats?

You seem to be finding something negative about anything Tipperary related. Did you get a bad pint in Hayes or something?

Grats wrote: »

Ronan Maher is a very talented player. Tipp were very pedestrian before and after he was taken off. When Galway started to try and defend and got leggy then Tipp really started to come into it. Not that you have any real interest in forming a decent opinion on the topic but his actual words were that Tipp should be praised for their brave team selection - not for individually picking Ronan Maher.

dirtyden wrote: »
    I am guessing you are not a Tipp fan Grats?

You seem to be finding something negative about anything Tipperary related. Did you get a bad pint in Hayes or something?

He has such a hatred of Tipperary that he made up a story about Eoin Kelly celebrating when players are sent off.

:rolleyes:

He specifically mentioned Ronan Maher if you bothered to read it. They now dropped him, hence my post.

Hate would be too strong!

Now, now, boys this is about Offaly and the hammering they are about to receive from Tipp but since you want to side track let me say, if you grew up in my era and saw Jimmy Doyle, Francis Loughnane, Babs and John Doyle among many playing you could not but admire them and Tipp. You did not have to love them or even like them but you sure as hell had to admire them. That is what hurling is all about. I love to see Tipp beat because they have earned the right to want to see them beat. Kinda like the current Kilkenny team, if you are not from Kilkenny the dog and his pup want to see us beaten. It is actually a form of respect that was beat into you by the opposition and Tipp surely did that down the generations to too many of my generation of Kilkenny folk and they are not forgiven yet. That's life boys, that's hurling and the passion it instills into each and every one of us irrespective of the color we support. I don't like Tipp, I never will but I can still admire them and that is not the same as saying I don't like Tipp people because there are many whom I do count among my friends. This is about hurling and hurling only. The boot is on the other foot at the moment but it wont stay laced for ever and some day the boot will fall off, I just hope it wont be for a long time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

Tipperary v Offaly will be shown on Sky Sports 3 from 6.30pm tomorrow.

Sky must have seen something in Offaly's performance, when showing the KK match, we all missed!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement