Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tipperary v Offaly, SHC Qualifier R2, Neutral Venue, TBC

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

letowski wrote: »
    Tipperary v Offaly will be shown on Sky Sports 3 from 6.30pm tomorrow.

Sky must have seen something in Offaly's performance, when showing the KK match, we all missed!!!

Think Sky make Offalys jerseys look a lot tighter than RTE, sure theyre in the shape of their lives!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So the Waterford vs Wexford/Clare won't be on TV because the football round 3b will get priority ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So the Waterford vs Wexford/Clare won't be on TV because the football round 3b will get priority ?

So we'll just have to make do with Wexford v Clare:(

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

randd1 wrote: »
    Think it was by 3 points but that was after 10 minutes. In saying that, apart from mental 5 minutes the first day out, Galway never looked like they could win either game, Kilkenny were well in control of both.

As for the game on Saturday, if Tipp don't beat Offaly by 10 points or more, it will be the result of the championship. Tipp aren't the side their supporters are making them out to be after winning one match, but they're at least a 20 point better side than Offaly. I could actually see Tipp set a record of some sort on Saturday.

I honestly don't know what group of supporters you'd be talking to but I have only heard All Ireland contenders being mentioned from other counties. We should be beating Offaly and beating them relatively comfortably which the vast, vast majority will agree with but very few (Tipp people) would call us All Ireland contenders just yet.

It was an encouraging win against Galway nonetheless and the tonic we badly needed. Having seen virtually the same team picked I wonder will there be a few positional switches before throw in with Barry possibly moving to full back and Paudie Maher to the half back line. Hopefully Ronan Maher can get another half or 25 minutes of championship hurling to keep him the frame as I think he has a lot to offer going forward for Tipp.

If the lads are clued in and ready to put in the required effort I think we will be meeting Dublin in a qf if results plan out the way i'd expect with Clare and Limerick in the other qf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

It's hard to know if Barry will be the solution to Tipperary's problem at full back. He would seem to have the right attributes; good in the air, mobile, composed, but he has always been a wing back for Tipp at U21 level and for UCC (not sure about minor).

Offaly may not be able to be able to test him fully, but his defensive instincts for the position when marking some of the top forwards in the competition later will certainly be tested by opposing managers. If the problem is solved, they have a great chance of having a serious crack at the title, if their forwards stay in form.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

once again Offaly have picked a team that is no where near the best team in the County.
    Hanniffy at full back is madness. Kevin Brady at centre back after he had his best game in years at No. 5 the last day. Healion the best full back in the county dropped cause the management is useless and didn't want to drop Hanniffy who is a great hurler but can't defend.
    Parlon is a corner forward at No. 7. Curmins in midfield is the best full forward in the county. Morkan the best wing back in the county dropped to let a Young Birr hurler get a game.
    Of our 6 backs 3 are forwards.
    Whelehan is pick his own club players ahead of better players for other clubs.

How Whelehan got the Offaly job is a joke. He applied for the Birr job and they wouldn't take him but the Offaly county board appointed minor manger one week and Senior the next cause they didn't want to interview the Best club manager in Offaly and the only person who want the job Danny Owens.
    Why didn't they interview Owens?? because one of the selection committee and him had a fight on the hurling field 24 years ago.
    They the level of Sh*t Offaly hurling is at. The 3 best hurlers in Birr. Cleary, Hayden and Murphy wouldn't train with the county cause they knew Whelehan was not up to the job.
    Offaly hurling is committing suicide. Were appoint gob**** that are not up to the intercounty jobs and that have never managed a team in their life. ahead of good mangers that have done great work with Offaly clubs.

We lost over that last 7 months almost 40 hurler of the senior panel. 40 hurlers have trained and left cause they know that Whelehan and his team are not up to the job.

We're going to get a hammering tomorrow and it what the management team deserved But the hurlers in Offaly if managed well are excellent. the team set up is years has being a joke and Whelehan, his management team and the county board are a joke.

I really feel for the hurlers we have. they been treated like Sh*t, been manged by one gob**** after another at all levels. It not fair on them.

once again Offaly have picked a team that is no where near the best team in the County.
    Hanniffy at full back is madness. Kevin Brady at centre back after he had his best game in years at No. 5 the last day. Healion the best full back in the county dropped cause the management is useless and didn't want to drop Hanniffy who is a great hurler but can't defend.
    Parlon is a corner forward at No. 7. Curmins in midfield is the best full forward in the county. Morkan the best wing back in the county dropped to let a Young Birr hurler get a game.

How Whelehan got the Offaly job is a joke. He applied for the Birr job and they wouldn't take him but the Offaly county board appointed minor manger one week and Senior the next cause they didn't want to interview the Best club manager in Offaly and the only person who want the job Danny Owens.
    Why didn't they interview Owens?? because one of the selection committee and him had a fight on the hurling field 24 years ago.
    They the level of Sh*t Offaly hurling is at. The 3 best hurlers in Birr. Cleary, Hayden and Murphy wouldn't train with the county cause they knew Whelehan was not up to the job.
    Offaly hurling is committing suicide. Were appoint gob**** that are not up to the intercounty jobs and that have never managed a team in their life. ahead of good mangers that have done great work with Offaly clubs.

We lost over that last 7 months almost 40 hurler of the senior panel. 40 hurlers have trained and left cause they know that Whelehan and his team are not up to the job.

We're going to get a hammering tomorrow and it what the management team deserved But the hurlers in Offaly if managed well are excellent. the team set up is years has being a joke and Whelehan, his management team and the county board are a joke.

I really feel for the hurlers we have. they been treated like Sh*t, been manged by one gob**** after another at all levels. It not fair on them.

From a Tipp point of view, i think no one is in doubt that there is talent in Offaly and there in lies the frustration. Its just that they seem unfit and unprepared this year.

I dont want to run Brian Whelehan down too much because he was one hell of a hurler but is he perhaps far too passive with the county board? Id imagine most managers would walk if they were asked to train the team in a club pitch outside the county. It beggars belief that Danny Owens didnt get offered the job. Look at Carlow for example. Id imagine Tom Mullally will be top of the list to replace John Meyler given his success with MLR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

A sad situation if that's the case and perhaps explains the poor performances from Offaly seniors this year. Having said that the minors and under 21s haven't shown much of a fight this year either. That's just an observation.

As an outsider I wouldn't like to pass judgement on another county's problems. God knows there is plenty of controversial stuff going on in many other counties that should occupy their minds!

Hopefully Offaly don't collapse completely today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Now, now, boys this is about Offaly and the hammering they are about to receive from Tipp but since you want to side track let me say, if you grew up in my era and saw Jimmy Doyle, Francis Loughnane, Babs and John Doyle among many playing you could not but admire them and Tipp. You did not have to love them or even like them but you sure as hell had to admire them. That is what hurling is all about. I love to see Tipp beat because they have earned the right to want to see them beat. Kinda like the current Kilkenny team, if you are not from Kilkenny the dog and his pup want to see us beaten. It is actually a form of respect that was beat into you by the opposition and Tipp surely did that down the generations to too many of my generation of Kilkenny folk and they are not forgiven yet. That's life boys, that's hurling and the passion it instills into each and every one of us irrespective of the color we support. I don't like Tipp, I never will but I can still admire them and that is not the same as saying I don't like Tipp people because there are many whom I do count among my friends. This is about hurling and hurling only. The boot is on the other foot at the moment but it wont stay laced for ever and some day the boot will fall off, I just hope it wont be for a long time yet.

Really well put, sums up why I love hurling and it's intense rivalries. Underlying all the 'hatred' there's definitely a respect between the traditional big three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I just switched this on because of the Clare-Wexford match...... 10 minutes gone.... and it's over already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I just switched this on because of the Clare-Wexford match...... 10 minutes gone.... and it's over already!

You sure??:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

The Tipp lads must have thought the same....Offaly are hurling very well here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Offaly playing with the wind ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Ok, now it's over.

Those Tipp forwards are near unstoppable when they get the right ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Offaly are terrible
    players are so slow

• Advertisement

Sky censors didnt get that lad shouting "ah for F.ucks sake" at the top of his voice.

Bit of a phoney war feel here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Are there any Offaly supporters there? All I can see in the stand are Tipp jerseys!

Ompala wrote: »
    Offaly playing with the wind ya?

"Offaly playing with the wind; Tipperary playing with the ball" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Tipp are sandbagging but a goal would make it interesting.

corny wrote: »

Looks like a moral victory for Offaly anyway whatever the result goes from here.

Tipp really havent motored all that much and look like a team who felt they had the game won from a long way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

corny wrote: »

Tipp doing what they do best.

Fair play to offaly though, their HT talk worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

What's the score lads?

4-17 Tipp 1-17 Offaly

Tipp put the foot on the accelerator there again and opened the gap back to 9 points - was down to 4 points at one stage

Really Tipp just easily changed gears there to open the gap up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

What's the score lads?

4-18 to 1-17

5-25 to 1-20 FT

Callinan with 2-10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Will take that anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Offaly put up a decent score in fairness, Tipp always too good though and looked classy when they were motoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    5-25 to 1-20 FT

Callinan with 2-10

The handicap beaten ay.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Handy win by Tipp in the end, though fair play to Offaly, they gave it a lash for a while. Bad foul on Seamus Callinan at last goal, I thought. Looked like hurley flung at him, he went off in some pain. Would be a big loss to Tipp if he has a broken bone. Any thoughts on this - did I see it right? Any news on his injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Mushy wrote: »
    Tipp doing what they do best.

I agree.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I agree.:rolleyes:

They won by 17 in the end, did they have to do much more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

They won by 17 in the end, did they have to do much more?

I agree again :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Offaly put up a decent score in fairness, Tipp always too good though and looked classy when they were motoring.

A county of Offalys pedigree shouldn't be losing by 17 points

deisedude wrote: »
    A county of Offalys pedigree shouldn't be losing by 17 points

Sure your at where your at i suppose. You get nowhere in life based on what you did in the past. Its all about the here and now. Offaly should never have let that situation emerge but that is where they are at. I reckon the GAA need to step in and help the counties that are financially struggling and underfunded. Its a competition at the end of the day and there is no point having one team 17 points better then the next and so on. You want to balance the playing field as much as possible.

I think fitness told on the back 20 tbh more than any other factor. Tbh id love if Offaly could get their act together at county level because from what i can see they sure have the hurlers as their club competition will suggest. Just lack the preparation. Its a sad state to see where Offaly are at. They gave us some priceless memories over the years, the five minute final being the pick of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Handy win by Tipp in the end, though fair play to Offaly, they gave it a lash for a while. Bad foul on Seamus Callinan at last goal, I thought. Looked like hurley flung at him, he went off in some pain. Would be a big loss to Tipp if he has a broken bone. Any thoughts on this - did I see it right? Any news on his injury?

Saw that incident on tv last night. Was the culprit even booked? If not, the ref should be told off. Not good enough to have players badly injured and absolutely nothing done about it. Imagine if Callanan was out for the rest of the campaign as a result of this not to mention the pain and financial loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

The belts Bonner took going through for the second goal. If that's not a striking offence I don't know what is and he had 2 swipes at him.

Anyway another hurdle cleared, onto Dublin for a tough match in the quarter final. The venue could be very important, the more space the better it will suit Tipp whereas Dublin would thrive against us in tight conditions with their physicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Grats wrote: »
    Saw that incident on tv last night. Was the culprit even booked? If not, the ref should be told off. Not good enough to have players badly injured and absolutely nothing done about it. Imagine ihf Callanan was out for the rest of the campaign as a result of this not to mention the pain and financial loss.

Good news on the injury. X-ray shows no broken bones and he will be available for next match. (today's Irish Times). Disgraceful act though. Red card offence Imo.

Advertisement