Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my dog just a slow runner or is it more?

• 07-07-2014 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

I have a 6 year old dog that has always been a slow runner. I was wondering are some dogs in general just slow?

With the warmer weather he is panting more. Off-lead he has an awkward 'bunny hop' type run so physically I don't think he is built for speed. Today we walked off-lead in a new area and he was as excited as the other dogs in certain spots and ran as quick as them but then toke his time for the rest of the walk.

When he is in a deep sleep sometimes he 'talks' in his sleep and his body shakes for a minute or two. He can breathe very quickly in & out when this happens. He doesn't wake up during this.

When getting his vaccs a couple of months ago the vet checked his heart and he said it was OK.

This summer it seems to me that he has slowed down even more. I am wondering if this is normal or are some dogs just slow?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

If he has an awkward "bunny hop" type of run he shouldn't. Thats a real sign of either a hip problem/hipdysplasia/arthritis or a back problem. I would bring him to the vet and get him checked out for orthopedic issues.

Edit to add I wouldnt worry about the shaking and heavy breathing in his sleep as it sounds like a bit of a bad dream, my Lab has these!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

maggiepip wrote: »
    If he has an awkward "bunny hop" type of run he shouldn't. Thats a real sign of either a hip problem/hipdysplasia/arthritis or a back problem. I would bring him to the vet and get him checked out for orthopedic issues.

I got him as a pup and for as long as I can remember he had that so called 'bunny hop' in his back legs. I just thought that was how he was made.

I am not sure if it is an orthopedic issue. Off-lead, when he feels like it, he is as fast as the other dogs. On-lead he seems to be OK and not off the pace. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort in that area but I could be wrong.

I am wondering though about his breathing/lungs/heart and if I should get my vet to do a full check over. If so I'll get him to check for orthopedic issues aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Any gait that's not the norm should always be checked out by a vet. Those type of signs can be an indication of the likes of hip issues so best to get it checked out.
    He could be slow because he's in discomfort and can't run fast.

If it is an orthopedic issue like his hip, I suppose all the vet can do is prescribe medication? Or is there anything else a vet can do in this situation?

I'll make an appointment tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It all depends on what the issue is. Is your dog insured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Phoe kicks a leg out when he runs. Kieran brought him to the vet, I wasn't there as I was working.

The vet wanted to see what he does but the dog couldn't get up enough speed to do it so the vet asked k to do an impression. He was joking. K didn't realise he was joking :D he did the impression. Big eejit.

Anyway, I've no advice just wanted to share :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The dog could just have a weird gait thats not doing any damage or causing pain. Try not to worry too much until you've seen the vet. I'd convinced myself that my dog's hips were gone but it was a pulled muscle and he was fine after some rest- I'd recorded him walking etc for the vet to see - it was a lot easier for her to see what was going on. ;)

They can run faster when it appears they "want to", however you'll usually notice that this happens in exciting situations such as running up to other dogs or rushing to see whos coming in the front door etc. Excitement sends adrenaline rushing which is a great temporary pain killer. So when a dog gets that rush, if they do have any discomfort, its temporarily gone due to the adrenaline. My lab has hip dysplasia and has that bunny hop run and always had it, but if she gets excited she'll fly it for awhile! Ive had her on Cartrophen injections for years and shes still doing great, shes 10 now. She gets a course of 4 injections a week for a month twice yearly. Different vets can administer Cartrophen in different ways depending on the dog. If your dog is diagnosed with a problem, if at all possible I would push to try Cartrophen first because of minimal side effects. NSAIDS are another very successful pain reliever/anti inflammatory.

eta again - its a great idea to bring a recording of your dog walking and running as he normally would as tk123 mentioned, thats really helpful for the vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Is your dog a Jack Russell or small breed dog by any chance OP? Luxating patella or "floating kneecap" can be quite common esp in JRTs and can give that "bunny hop" appearance. I petsitted a JRT recently with quite prominent LP in both back legs and she honestly looked like she was skipping most of the time. e.g @ 1:18 in this video

The sleeping issue doesn't sound like an issue at all to me. A lot of dogs bark, whimper, sigh, breathe heavily and jerk around when they are in a deep sleep. If it's difficult to rouse them or they seem disorientated when waking I'd be more concerned.

andreac wrote: »
    It all depends on what the issue is. Is your dog insured?

He is insured. I just want to rule out any possible issues that might be causing him to be 'slow' when running off-lead, whether it is do with his breathing or an orthopedic issue. There might be nothing wrong but I suppose it is worth the check just in case.
    anniehoo wrote: »
    Is your dog a Jack Russell or small breed dog by any chance OP? Luxating patella or "floating kneecap" can be quite common esp in JRTs and can give that "bunny hop" appearance.

My dog is a cocker. After watching your video I don't think it is luxating patella. It is more his hips - literally the back of his body 'bouncing' up & down as he runs. In the video the JRT lifts one of his legs when his knee collapses. This has never happened with my guy.

I suppose he could even have both - hip and breathing problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Not all dogs are born sprinters, general build / shape has something to do with it as well. Extreme examples here being something like a Basset or a Newfie vs. a Greyhound :D

So we'd need to know what type of dog you have before we can speculate any further.
    EDIT: So he's a Cocker ...not the fastest of dogs generally speaking and they usually "drive" foward with both hind legs simultaneously, giving them a bit of a "hop"

Then there would be general fitness. A dog that mostly just ambles along during its normal routine obviously isn't set up for racing either.

And lastly ... he could just be overweight.

peasant wrote: »
    Not all dogs are born sprinters, general build / shape has something to do with it as well. Extreme examples here being something like a Basset or a Newfie vs. a Greyhound :D

So we'd need to know what type of dog you have before we can speculate any further.
    EDIT: So he's a Cocker ...not the fastest of dogs generally speaking and they usually "drive" foward with both hind legs simultaneously, giving them a bit of a "hop"

Then there would be general fitness. A dog that mostly just ambles along during its normal routine obviously isn't set up for racing either.

And lastly ... he could just be overweight.

I have some experience with cockers and you are right, they wouldn't be the fastest.

My dog gets on average of 60-90 minutes walk everyday so would be fit enough. In saying that off-lead we would stop alot for breaks and he wouldn't be a fast runner. We tend to amble on walks!

My initial thoughts were to do with breathing rather than build.

I just weighed him at 11.6kg - his weight varies between 11 and 11.5. I think his weight is OK even though he has put on a small bit in 2 months since last weighing.

Maybe I could get a video of him 'hopping' to show to my vet?

Is it excessive panting you're concerned about? Its been very hot, and the fact that he seems to "hop" would point to the problem more likely being his hips. Discomfort can also cause a dog to pant excessively. But this is all speculation, and you need to see your vet. There could be nothing wrong at all, and if there is it will be treatable. Bringing the video will be very helpful and don't worry!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The vid that Anniehoo posted, to me at least, looks like a pretty severely affected dog. It's much more common, to me at least, to see LP dogs not lifting their sore leg so high or for so long, rather it's more of a hoppity-skippity kind of gait. This video illustrates more what I mean, though this dog also lifts the leg every so often:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G1XyaOKtOU

Having said all that, my Westie was no Usain Bolt for his size... the faster he tried to run, the slower he'd go as he tried to dig deep into the ground with his paws to gain traction. It was hilarious to watch :)
    There's no doubt that there's great scope for individual variation, but any sort of hopping just doesn't sound right. Do remember too that some vets are better than others on joint problems, but luxating patella is quite easy to suss out with a feel of the knee joint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I WISH I'd taken a video of this dog DBB. The owner really should know better as well. :rolleyes:

It's a young dog ~2 years old so the luxations for now, don't seem painful for the dog. But, literally for every 5 minutes there'd be at least 20 "skips" on both back legs.

Even "lay" people commented on it and that's saying something. :o

anniehoo wrote: »
    I WISH I'd taken a video of this dog DBB. The owner really should know better as well. :rolleyes:

It's a young dog ~2 years old so the luxations for now, don't seem painful for the dog. But, literally for every 5 minutes there'd be at least 20 "skips" on both back legs.

Even "lay" people commented on it and that's saying something. :o

That's really sad, poor little dog :-(
    It's an extraordinarily common problem though, isn't it? Especially in the small breeds. It's not one I'd particularly associate with Cockers, but I guess if they have patellas, there's always potential for luxation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

DBB wrote: »
    That's really sad, poor little dog :-(
    It's an extraordinarily common problem though, isn't it? Especially in the small breeds. It's not one I'd particularly associate with Cockers, but I guess if they have patellas, there's always potential for luxation!

I had a Spinone with it. Definitely a disaster in large breeds. It is very common in Jack Russell's hence many run with a little hop & a skip.
    The Borders compared to other small terriers really do run like Bolt! Someone I know had a tragic accident when the Border collided with a Spinone. I am very careful running large & small dogs together.
    In large breeds if there is luxating patella they often need their cruciate done at the same time.

Mild cases in small dogs can be left alone.

Folks thanks for all the help. I am going to try to get a video of him running today. Then maybe a vet checkup.

Walking along the canal today and tried to capture the 'bunny hop' on video. First time making a video on my bridge camera and I didn't do a good job! So I am not sure if there is enough evidence in this video.

At about the 1st minute and the 3rd minute I 'try' :) to get him to stay and then run past me. His walk is bouncy but when running faster this increases.

I tried to video him from behind while he was running but the video I produced was rubbish.

Things I noticed:
    - is it possible that his back legs are longer than his front?
    - when running I noticed from behind that his hind legs were wider than his front.

Here's the 3 minute or so video:
    http://youtu.be/ERrz94eplEE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Just had a look & I don't see any skipping which often happens with patella problems. He does seem a little stiff at times in the hindquarters.

Also he seems quite hefty. I can't make out a waistline.

Back legs can appear longer then front legs if the dog has a confirmation fault of a short upperarm in front. He looks ok from what I can see though.

He looks like a lovely little dog!

• Advertisement

I don't see any knee problems either. If there's anything it's his hips or possibly spine, but if it's there it's very mild and he looks to me to be moving nicely. There's no muscle wastage or muscular imbalance that I can see from the vid.
    I've a little cocker x here who from the back could be your dog, and she moves in exactly the same way, it's sort of a bounding run. Well when I say "moves", that was before she broke her leg last year!
    I think you're over-thinking things a bit op! And ummm, he could probably do with losing a kilo or two *cough cough* :-)

PS He is a lovely little fella, gotta love a busy little Cocker!

Knine wrote: »
    Just had a look & I don't see any skipping which often happens with patella problems. He does seem a little stiff at times in the hindquarters.

Also he seems quite hefty. I can't make out a waistline.

Back legs can appear longer then front legs if the dog has a confirmation fault of a short upperarm in front. He looks ok from what I can see though.

He looks like a lovely little dog!

The video doesn't show the 'bunny hop' type movements very well but when he is running fast it is there.

Aye, he is overweight. I suppose his ideal weight would be 11kg. I broke the golden rule in the past few months of giving tit-bits. I weighed him last night at 11.6kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

cant really see anything obvious either he has a slight misalignment in his run if im looking correctly

cant see any sign of the bunny hop whats he like first thing in morn any signs of obvious stiffness/discomfort

DBB wrote: »
    I don't see any knee problems either. If there's anything it's his hips or possibly spine, but if it's there it's very mild and he looks to me to be moving nicely. There's no muscle wastage or muscular imbalance that I can see from the vid.
    I've a little cocker x here who from the back could be your dog, and she moves in exactly the same way, it's sort of a bounding run. Well when I say "moves", that was before she broke her leg last year!
    I think you're over-thinking things a bit op! And ummm, he could probably do with losing a kilo or two *cough cough* :-)

PS He is a lovely little fella, gotta love a busy little Cocker!

I suppose for me my initial concerns were his breathing. I don't know if that problem exists at all but the vet checked him recently and said everything was OK. I suppose I'll just keep any eye on that one.

With my other cockers, none have them have this bouncy type walk. I thought maybe that there might be a connection between the breathing and the way he runs. Hopefully everything is alright but I saw it again today when I was running after him, his hip and hind legs were bouncing (I couldn't capture this on video unfortunately.)

Maybe it is all due to the way he is built.

Spot on about the weight. I'll have to lose some too! :)

jimf wrote: »
    cant really see anything obvious either he has a slight misalignment in his run if im looking correctly

cant see any sign of the bunny hop whats he like first thing in morn any signs of obvious stiffness/discomfort

He is fine in the morning. No problem getting out of his bed, straight out to the garden. Even in the winter he seems grand.

He looks awkward running and maybe that is why it looks like arthritis or something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

odckdo wrote: »
    The video doesn't show the 'bunny hop' type movements very well but when he is running fast it is there.

Aye, he is overweight. I suppose his ideal weight would be 11kg. I broke the golden rule in the past few months of giving tit-bits. I weighed him last night at 11.6kg.

I have a male orange cocker, I shave him tight in summer as they get very hairy. You can feel his ribs but don't see them. He has an acre of garden to run around in as they love the outdoors.

My dog has not been neutered as I have heard they can put on weight and can affect their coat.

I have him on an electric collar as these dogs are a gun dog raise and retrieve woodcock and will go through any ditch or fence.

He is 5 years old and love him to bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

I have a springer dog who runs very similar will stay going all day just looks awkward

my own thinking is the fact he is not running in what we call a straight line his arse seems to be all over the place and the faster they go the more obvious it becomes in my guy

at 6yo if it was hd I would expect the morning would be his worst time of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Aw I can't help but cockers are the best! He's super cute and so playful!!

My groomer always thinks my dog looks thin as she's so fit and active and the groomer says the majority of cockers are carry a bit of extra weight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Aw I can't help but cockers are the best! He's super cute and so playful!!

My groomer always thinks my dog looks thin as she's so fit and active and the groomer says the majority of cockers are carry a bit of extra weight!

Cockers need plenty of room to run, a small back garden is not ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Cockers need plenty of room to run, a small back garden is not ideal.

Eh,I don't know why you quoted me with that comment???

Advertisement