Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house Wicklow/Wexford

Options
  • 07-07-2014 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,was wondering if someone could tell me where not to buy in Wicklow or Wexford? We want to buy either a town house with good transport connections or a country cottage...whichever needs to be on the lower extreme of the property ladder!

Also could someone recommend a good and reasonably priced structural engineer and solicitor flat rate preferably) for the legal stuff and survey? Apart from the1% stamp duty, what other costs should I expect? If I am buying in Ireland for the first time and have a house elsewhere, do I still qualify for all the first time buyers stuff? Trying to get a foothold back home....after 16 years away but it seems such a big step.

Thanks

Sharon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

I don't think the first time buyer's concession exist any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

That's a fairly big area I think you might need to be more specific , are you commuting to Dublin?

If so I'd say Bray or Greystones but depending on your budget might limit those as options.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If you're returning after 16 years away, would you not guesstimate where you might like to live and rent there for a while?

If I've read your OP right, and you have been away 16 years, then things (and places) will have changed substantially since you were last here - and why would you commit to a place on the recommendations of strangers on the internet (I know this is probably not your only source of information) without seeing if it suits YOU and how you intend to live?

Apart from very limited areas in Dublin city, I don't think house prices are going up in the near future, so trying out various likely locations might be the way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sbsset

Initially we will get a second home....hence the minute budget....partly to test the water and partly cos my son is almost 3 and I want him to know he's Irish. Access to Dublin is fairly important for family but I would prefer my lad to know life outside of Dublin.

Basically we would love Wicklow but it is pretty much beyond our budget of 50k. So it's either an old cottage in the countryside of Wexford or a townhouse of the tiny type in one of the villages...have even seen one for 42k in Enniscorthy. If we were to move full time, I think I would be looking at Wicklow town.....or Wicklow somewhere. But right now just trying to make sure we don't make a mistake with this purchase.

We always travelled as kids so I know bigger towns etc fairly well. That said, i moved away 16 years ago but go back and forth. Obviously things have indeed changed and not being local, I wouldn't know for instance of any no go estates in Arklow, Enniscorthy or where ever (or even if they exist)....and wouldn't have a clue about the smaller villages. I know some have bad names but which and how well founded that is, I don't know. Mainly I would be so disappointed if we ended up buying somewhere where it didn't feel too safe and which would be hard to shift if we either move back full time or if we needed to be rid of it for whatever reason. I won't have the time I might like to look at areas at leisure plus I think I am probably going to look at everything with rose colour goggles. Being the Irish one, the responsibility for choosing where is soundly on my shoulders as you can imagine. So I thought I would ask you guys for some advice!!!

So more specifically, in Enniscorthy, what are River view and Gimont like? Bree? Carnew?

Calhoun, you are right, even if we moved permanently, I don't know if we could afford to live in Greystones. Not as keen on Bray though.

If I won the lotto, I'd be heading for Enniskerry. But Wicklow town seems a fairly good alternative longer term. Maybe Blessington?

But it's the smaller places that I know less about but would also like to consider especially if something cropped up in the near future that might be just within the initial tiny budget. Probably just chasing a Pipedream as I know 50k won't get us much if anything. Wexford is a bit cheaper but obviously it's still tight.

The reason for not moving and renting is that we have a good standard of life here so would be giving up a lot...I'd have to be sure it would be the right move. The cost of living is so much more expensive back home....and I don't know difficult it would be to settle again. Hence the testing of the waters first by buying a small house, at least my son will get to work on a decent Irish accent!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks BlueMartin...I am so out of date!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

sbsset wrote: »

The reason for not moving and renting is that we have a good standard of life here so would be giving up a lot...I'd have to be sure it would be the right move. The cost of living is so much more expensive back home....and I don't know difficult it would be to settle again. Hence the testing of the waters first by buying a small house, at least my son will get to work on a decent Irish accent!!!

This makes no sense to me, I'm afraid!

If you're so unsure of the move (and even of where you might like to move to), then why on earth would you buy? Incurring all the expenses above and beyond the actual purchase price of the house, plus the hassle, and the uncertainty of being able to sell it if it does indeed prove to be the wrong thing to have done?

This would seem to me to be a clear-cut case of someone who should short- to medium-term rent - with an eye to the market and if your dream house comes up at your price then obviously jump at it.

Maybe there's something I'm missing.

Heidi, if I decide the big move isn't for us, we still will have a small house in Ireland....always a good thing! Plus for this exercise, the logic of my decisions are neither here nor there, just looking for info on areas that are good, not so good etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Just rent houses when you come back for a holiday (or maybe do house swaps if where you're living now is attractive to Irish families) - you can check out different places and not have the hassle of looking after a house from abroad (maintenance, property tax etc). 50K will pay for a lot of holidays, but won't go very far if you are buying.

Would you consider Cork city, it's got lots more amenities, not too large a city, good transport links plus airport . You will get town houses there for around 50,000 grand, don't be afraid to bargain if you see ones selling for 60 and 70 thousands euro, put in your lowest offer and go from there. Also there are many students in Cork city as it has an university, IT college and several smaller colleges and they always looking to rent rooms etc so you should have no bother renting house out if you decide not to come for good.
    Try daft.ie for indication of prices in the city.

The cost of buying a house is quite high in Ireland for a house costing aorund 50,000 euro expect to pay about 2000 euro in total towards legal costs these include solicitors fees, stamp duty and property registration fees.

• Advertisement

Bluemartin, thanks for the good advice. Cork is lovely...and it would be a very practical solution...I didn't think nor would I have dared to bid so low comparative to those prices so thanks for that tip, wouldnt have looked at a house beginning with a 6 or 7!. The only thing is the distance from Dublin, my parents are old for travelling on a regular basis and my son is too young. I had a similar thought about Galway but same problem. It's a shame though as both would be appealing for similar reasons although obviously with amuch different vibe. I must say, the thought of Cork airport always brings a smile....Mr Haughey has a lot to answer for! I used to do some work there....weather permitting or landed in Shannon as an unplanned adventure. Really like Cork though, my dad's family are Mitchelstown so I even understand the lingo.😉

I was told by an estate agent that the lawyer would cost 1500 in legal fees so thanks for that too...I thought it seemed quite a lot. 2000 is OK for the full amount as we'll either keep the house long term assuming we dont move back or if we do move back, it'll be a base to look at leisure for something bigger without having to fork out rent for an unknown time.

Sbsset, don't be put off by the distance between Cork and Dublin, you get great deals if you book in advance through Irish rail. What is it only a couple of hours journey. I recently bought an old town house in the city centre cost me 65000 and it was originally up for 110,000. Granted it needs lots of work doing to it but for that price you cant argue, its got 6 bedrooms and large garden. Since then I have seen smaller town houses for sale asking price for as little as 50,000 but I know you can get those now for as little as for 35 to 40,000. I also live abroad and initially I was also looking at purchasing in Wicklow and Wexford but I am so glad that I bought in Cork city and the people are so nice there. Every one in the street came out to say hello the day I went to see the house after the purchase went through, now where would you get that sort of greeting :)

Advertisement