Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade 32 to 64 bit

Options
  • 07-07-2014 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

I had a windows 8 computer but the hard drive crashed and I had to get a new one. HP never gave me a recovery disk. I only have a Windows XP disk. Microsoft allow a free download of the W8 iso with a product key with I believe can be found in the bios. However, you can only Download a 32 bit W8 from a 32 bit OS, which XP is. What I need help with is installing a 64 bit W8 with access only to a 32 bit PC. I am not looking to pirate it or pay for a new copy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I had a windows 8 computer but the hard drive crashed and I had to get a new one. HP never gave me a recovery disk. I only have a Windows XP disk. Microsoft allow a free download of the W8 iso with a product key with I believe can be found in the bios. However, you can only Download a 32 bit W8 from a 32 bit OS, which XP is. What I need help with is installing a 64 bit W8 with access only to a 32 bit PC. I am not looking to pirate it or pay for a new copy.

Recovery disks are not really standard issue any more with a new PC purchase. The Hard Drive has the recovery partition. This is for lots of reasons, not the least of which many new laptops dont even have optical drives, and using the recovery data built into the machine when you buy it you can create a recovery device onto a disc or to USB.

Your XP disc is completely unnecessary and obsolete.

The Installer is available here from MSFT: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only but this won't work for OEM keys such as yours. Unfortunately without the recovery media, you will probably need to order new media from HP

As for the casual reader: do you have recovery media created for your Windows 8 laptop? Press the Start/Windows Key and type "recoverydrive.exe" to begin the process now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

One (lazy!) way to do it :

This is the 64bit Windows 7 :

http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso

Install that on it - it won't need a product key

It will run without any product key for a few weeks.

then the Windows 8 installer will install 64bit Windows 8 for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 CaptainKern

Is the a Windows 8 Standard 64 bit iso available? Again, I'm not looking to pirate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is the a Windows 8 Standard 64 bit iso available? Again, I'm not looking to pirate it.

The ISO, not exactly. The installer I linked to will prompt you the option of mounting it to a disc or USB though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

If you want to use the installer

( it will still only get 32bit iso if you use a 32bit pc though )

These are Installation-Only keys - you will need your real key to use it.

Windows 8 (core): 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT

Windows 8 PRO: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB

The keys above will let you install 8.1, but that's all it does. After installation is complete, you will still have to activate with your own Windows 8 key.

• Advertisement
Advertisement