Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can medical issues make male dogs smell like they’re on heat?

• 07-07-2014 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I bring my dog to an agility group. He is an intact male and cannot be neutered for medical reasons. (Believe me, after this weekend, I would neuter him in the morning if I could.) Everything was progressing splendidly. He is an anxious dog but gradually got over his fear of the obstacles and new people and was doing great. Loving it. Then a new lady joined. She had a King Charles spaniel that he found very intriguing, almost seemed mystified by him, and that distracted him to some extent but he got over it. Then she started bringing her other King Charles spaniel instead. This guy has recently been neutered because of a prostrate problem.

My dog is OBSESSED with him. He reacts to him as if he is an on heat female. It’s non-stop, mind blowing obsession. It’s completely stopped his ability to progress at ability. He can just about do the course, staring in the dog’s direction at all times, and he just wants to charge over to him immediately he completes any obstacle anywhere near him. It is best if I keep him completely away from him, but he whines and tugs and wants to get over. This is a dog who was neutral and relaxed and unbothered by other dogs for months.
    Last week was a particular nightmare as a man turned up who had a bitch in the tail end of her heat. He reckoned she was over it. No, she wasn’t!

Anyway, I have a vague memory of reading about male dogs smelling like on heat females because of various medical issues. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Is it ever going to wear of the spaniel? I kind of despair for dog agility if this continues. I could insist on in heat females not being brought, but what do I do about an alluring male dog??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

There was a flat coated retriever that was neutered where I used to live, poor sod was always being humped by other male dogs, one of mine just couldn't resist him, and he was neutered himself. The owner used to carry sausages in her pocket all the time to try and distract other dogs away from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LuckyLoki

muddypaws wrote: »
    There was a flat coated retriever that was neutered where I used to live, poor sod was always being humped by other male dogs, one of mine just couldn't resist him, and he was neutered himself. The owner used to carry sausages in her pocket all the time to try and distract other dogs away from him.

Thank you! This is not sounding good!

Advertisement