Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever feel Let Down by your job?

Options
  • 07-07-2014 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm wondering if I'm not the only person who's felt left down at work.

I work for a very large company.

About four years back a number of internal positions came up at work that were in my field of interest. About 20 spots were available to about 300 staff. So from what I recall 30 applied and we all went for interviews. Although I didn't make the cut what bugs me is that a fellow who joined the job the same day as myself managed to get in.

Now I say fair play and best of luck to him and I'm glad he's doing what he wanted. It's been four years since and this lad happened to pop by the office. Although I get on well with him my own heart sank. There hasn't been a single opportunity available since the recession and the work I'm doing at the minute is saddening and stressful.

I guess what's killing me too is that it was my second time looking for a spot on that team - yet this guy just threw in his hat first time around and got it.

I hope I don't sound begrudging as again I'm happy for him..just makes me wonder what's wrong with me as I do think I work hard and have always gotten positive appraisals.

Thank you for reading :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Do you know him? It would make sense to try to get talking to him to see if he could put in a referral to his manager. Just a thought.

Other than that, suck it up I suppose. There's always one company in every town that's is known to pay well and offer a career path and literally everyone applies to. But (as you found out) not everyone get's those jobs.. It's probably not true to say there hasn't been any other opportunities, maybe you just haven't been looking hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Harsh reality is that not everybody can get promoted nor is suitable. Unfortunately the company felt there were people better suited 4 years ago. The fact somebody else got the position is just the way it is regardless of when they started.
    If there is no chances coming up the real option is to look elsewhere. You will find the best way to change roles and get more money is to leave where you are. It is the quickest way.

I don't think you really should feel let down by the company because they haven't actually done anything. They never promised you a promotion etc.. but they did give you the opportunity to apply.

I have been let down by a company I worked for but they were failing to live up to the promises they made. They promised training, reduce the unpaid overtime, time in lu, promotion, extra pay, bonus pay etc... and failed to deliver on all. Now that is being let down, not getting a promotion or new position is just unfortunate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,741 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

There are very few companies in the private sector (where I assume you are) where tenure will trump experience/ability when it comes to internal appointments. Obviously, it was felt by the hiring manager/HR that the new guy was a better candidate for the role than you. Unfortunately, it sounds like the recession then put paid to any further opportunities for you to move internally.

As others have said, your employers haven't done anything wrong here, but I can see why you're feeling fed up. So, you have a choice to make here - you either stay put, if the job is otherwise enjoyable enough that you can get over your disappointment (although if you're still sore four years later, I rather suspect that the answer there is "no"), or you can move on. The good news is, the jobs market is definitely picking up again. Make it your next project to find yourself a new job. Sometimes even just having made that decision can make it a bit easier to stick out the job you're in in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

OP, I worked for an American Company a few years ago. Over a period of 5 years I applied for better positions in different departments. In the end, I worked in the same department all through. It does'nt bother me in the slightest looking back and I am not worried about it on my CV either.

Advertisement