Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford to Kilkenny

Options
  • 07-07-2014 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I've heard there is way from Waterford to Kilkenny that doesn't involve taking the motorway.

Can anyone tell me what towns I'd be going through? I've a terrible sense of direction so if you could draw me a map, maybe make it pirate themed I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Hello,

I've heard there is way from Waterford to Kilkenny that doesn't involve taking the motorway.

Can anyone tell me what towns I'd be going through? I've a terrible sense of direction so if you could draw me a map, maybe make it pirate themed I'd appreciate it.

Brilliant!

You do know there's a thing called Google Maps, that would've drawn you said map in less than the time it took you to post that...?!

And also, the sense of surprise that there is a way to Kilkenny that pre-dates the motorway that only opened 4 years ago... Lolz, you've brightened up my Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Google maps is only giving me routes with the motorway involved.

I until I see a route loaded with palm trees, parrots and a big dirty X at the end I refuse to believe it exists.

Glad I eased those monday blues. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Google maps is only giving me routes with the motorway involved.

I until I see a route loaded with palm trees, parrots and a big dirty X at the end I refuse to believe it exists.

Glad I eased those monday blues. :P

Oh ok!

Waterford-Mullinavat-Ballyhale-Knocktopher-Stoneyford-Kilkenny.

Or just take the motorway, it's surprisingly easy - as long as you drive on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Theres an option in Google maps that says avoid Motorways.

Your phone should have GPS. Learn how to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Theres an option in Google maps that says avoid Motorways.

Your phone should have GPS. Learn how to use it.

That's presuming it's a smart phone.

OP there is a ton of ways to get from WF to KK. The route suggested through Knocktopher is the easiest if your not in a position to use the motorway. I travel both routes often and you will not get lost which ever one you take.

• Advertisement

Cheers, how long does the Knocktopher route take?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Cheers, how long does the Knocktopher route take?
    About 3/4 of an hour, and a lovely drive compared to motorway if your not in a hurry.

Yup as said from 35 to 45mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Waterford, Cork, Paris, Barcellona, Marrakesh, Lagos, Luanda, Johannesburg, South Pole, Buenos Aires, Fortaleza, Bogota, Mexico, New York, Quebec, Nuuk, North Pole, Aberdeen, Glasgow, Belfast, Dublin, Carlow, Kilkenny.

Fastest route, about 25 mins on slicks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Why not use the motorway OP?

• Advertisement

It's too intimidating. I'm just about able for normal roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Nothing normal about the old road to KK. Terrifying at times :eek:

Don't be telling me things like that, I'll never leave my house again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

It's too intimidating. I'm just about able for normal roads.

If you are a learner driver then your not allowed drive on motorways anyway,but if your a fully licensed driver then you have nothing to worry about what do you find intimidating about it?

Nothing normal about the old road to KK. Terrifying at times :eek:

The road to KK is a good road the worst part is the bridge at Ballyhale as you never really know if a bus or lorry is going to met you going around the bend so you would have to take it tight and slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

obezyana wrote: »
    The road to KK is a good road the worst part is the bridge at Ballyhale as you never really know if a bus or lorry is going to met you going around the bend so you would have to take it tight and slow.

Agree now it is fit for purpose but it was far from that with artics passing at 80 k!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I learned how to drive in Sept 2001, got a job in Kilkenny in Oct 2001 and really learned how to drive on the old road. It used to take me 45 mins each way at the beginning, depending on how many tractors I met.

Remember the old road is now a 80kph speed limit as it is a R road, my father got done for speeding on it, he waved to the speed van doing 86 kph, thinking he was in a 100kph section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

http://www.theaa.ie/routes/# that should help you, there's also the option of showing you a route without motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I learned how to drive in Sept 2001, got a job in Kilkenny in Oct 2001 and really learned how to drive on the old road. It used to take me 45 mins each way at the beginning, depending on how many tractors I met.

Remember the old road is now a 80kph speed limit as it is a R road, my father got done for speeding on it, he waved to the speed van doing 86 kph, thinking he was in a 100kph section.

I think some is still 100, the very worst bits are 80kmh. Not been on the full
    Length of it since the M9 opened, it's such a blessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I used to hate that old road, especially at night, the motorway is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

easiest route avoiding motorways....

If you are nervous about the drive, no offence do us all a favour and
    take the Train......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭RonanM123

Anyone know of any public transport from KK after the match on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

RonanM123 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any public transport from KK after the match on Saturday?

Train only option, special service added.

Waterford 16.00 - Kilkenny 16.30
    Kilkenny 21.15 - Waterford 21.46

13.98, online booking advised and travel passes not accepted on both services.

Advertisement