Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Computer

Options
  • 07-07-2014 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I'm an undergraduate student of physics and I'm hoping to buy/build a pc to do some work on. I'm hoping mainly to use it to run molecular dynamics simulations on so it will need a fair bit of power but not as much on the graphics end. I may also use it for some gaming, most likely strategy games like civilization, age of empires, total war etc.

1. What is your budget? Around €600-700

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Running computationally heavy simulations.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No, I'd rather use ubuntu.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? I have a mouse and external hard drive, but will need any other important add-ons.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? visa or Paypal

9. When are you purchasing? Soon within the next month

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I think I would be pretty okay building it. But I'm based in Clonskeagh if it comes to that.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭djerk

just so you know, many high-end gpu's these days can offload much of the algorithmic processing onto gpu's ie, nvidia's cuda and amd's opencl, might be worth investigating on your end.

Advertisement