Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare v Wexford, SHC Qualifier Replay, Wexford Park, 12 July @ 17.00 RTE 2

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Disappointing from a Clare perspective but thems are the breaks.
    Our lads died fighting and you can't ask for anymore than that. Unfortunately ill-discipline cost us on both days. Bugler's and Podge's reds were stupid ones to pick up, you're giving the ref no option but to produce red.
    For Browne's second yellow, a child would have seen a change simply had to be made. Even if they made a positional switch until a sub was organised as McGovern was to me Wexford's most dangerous forward.

Fair play to Wexford, I thought they'd struggle to put back to back performances together and they'd feel the chance was gone after the drawn game. In both ETs they put the shoulder to the wheel.
    While its never a nice feeling when your county ends its involvement ends in championship it was great to see what it meant to Wexford people and players after, they havn't had much to cheer about in recent years but its been a good week for the purple & gold.

Final pt re the ref, he was just bad, any bias was just a factor of his poor managing of the game. If, as Davy maintains the refs are out to get Clare then he needs to look in the mirror and ask why? You can't constantly berate and abuse refs and not expect it to come back and bite you in the ass. I think he was putting pressure on refs in the hope that then refs would be wary of making big decisions against Clare, if anything it backfired. Him complaining about Podge's red and talking about a possible appeal was farcical. An obvious a red as you'll get

Anyways well done Wexford, great to see them on the rise again and moving in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Disappointing from a Clare perspective but thems are the breaks.
    Our lads died fighting and you can't ask for anymore than that. Unfortunately ill-discipline cost us on both days. Bugler's and Podge's reds were stupid ones to pick up, you're giving the ref no option but to produce red.
    For Browne's second yellow, a child would have seen a change simply had to be made. Even if they made a positional switch until a sub was organised as McGovern was to me Wexford's most dangerous forward.

Fair play to Wexford, I thought they'd struggle to put back to back performances together and they'd feel the chance was gone after the drawn game. In both ETs they put the shoulder to the wheel.
    While its never a nice feeling when your county ends its involvement ends in championship it was great to see what it meant to Wexford people and players after, they havn't had much to cheer about in recent years but its been a good week for the purple & gold.

Final pt re the ref, he was just bad, any bias was just a factor of his poor managing of the game. If, as Davy maintains the refs are out to get Clare then he needs to look in the mirror and ask why? You can't constantly berate and abuse refs and not expect it to come back and bite you in the ass. I think he was putting pressure on refs in the hope that then refs would be wary of making big decisions against Clare, if anything it backfired. Him complaining about Podge's red and talking about a possible appeal was farcical. An obvious a red as you'll get

Anyways well done Wexford, great to see them on the rise again and moving in the right direction.

Well said and fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Hidalgo, very true on Browne, really should have been switched.
    He was taken off v cork before he got sent off, so surely the management would have seen it yesterday.
    (Browne looks a little raw at the highest level)

Also good point on the connection between constantly abusing referees, and then them not favoring you. Not necessarily right, but refs are only human.

I thought in 2012 Clare's Achilles heel was conceding too many (needless) frees in scoring positions.
    That was much proved in 2013 but seems to have crept back in

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

Easy to say that now.

But from last year, we changed goalies, switched Dillon and David Mac, brought in Jack Browne, as well as introduced Duggan in the forwards, and Seadna Morey saw a lot more game time.

I'm not sure how many changes we should be aiming for to an All- Ireland winning team ?

Anyways, we got luck to win the All- Ireland last year, and I don't think we got any decisions over the 3 games this year.
    It sounds like sour grapes, but frees in not given towards the end today for fouls on Cunningham and Conlon were beyond belief.
    And while Browne probably deserved his red today, it appeared as though the ref had made his decision and was over-ruled by the umpire!

I am a Wexford man. But to put the blame on the ofdicials is just wrong. Yes the ref was poor but he made big mistakes on both sides.
    1. Conor McDonald had a perfect goal ruled out.
    2. Matthew O Hanlon appeared to be pushed before Conlons goal by Duggan I think it was.
    3. On the Clare side Aaron Cunningham should have had a free in at the end.
    4. Liam Ryan handled a ball on the floor in extra time and Clare should have had a free in.
    Like I say mistakes on both sides by yhe ref. The 2 sending offs were spot on imo.

Hidalgo, very true on Browne, really should have been switched.
    He was taken off v cork before he got sent off, so surely the management would have seen it yesterday.
    (Browne looks a little raw at the highest level)

Also good point on the connection between constantly abusing referees, and then them not favoring you. Not necessarily right, but refs are only human.

I thought in 2012 Clare's Achilles heel was conceding too many (needless) frees in scoring positions.
    That was much proved in 2013 but seems to have crept back in

Referees minds shouldnt be decided by past games or what has been said to them previously.
    However its only natural and simply human nature that if a managet is abusing the ref throughout a game and in post match interviews constantly questioning the ref, then you run the risk of refs siding against you in 50:50 calls.

Every team can point to bad refereeing decisions against them. Davy has this notion that its only happening to Clare.

I am a Wexford man. But to put the blame on the ofdicials is just wrong. Yes the ref was poor but he made big mistakes on both sides.
    1. Conor McDonald had a perfect goal ruled out.
    2. Matthew O Hanlon appeared to be pushed before Conlons goal by Duggan I think it was.
    3. On the Clare side Aaron Cunningham should have had a free in at the end.
    4. Liam Ryan handled a ball on the floor in extra time and Clare should have had a free in.
    Like I say mistakes on both sides by yhe ref. The 2 sending offs were spot on imo.

The decision to rule out McDonald's goal was terrible. Ref was out around the middle of the field when he called a square ball.
    I thought the goal McDond did score was actually dodgier and much closer to being a square ball. Havnt seen much of a replay of it though.

I remember liam Dunne mentioning McDonald as a very good prospect for Wexford, he wasn't wrong. Very exciting young player. Its great to see young confident raw players coming on the scene. Yes they'll make plenty mistakes but thats down to inexperience.
    The joys of youth eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Wexford have all the talent, and ability in the world to kick on and win the All-Ireland for the first time since 1996. Clare only have themselves to blame, three sending's off in two games is shocking, but all three were sending's off.

Yes, Clare did win the All-Ireland last year, and have won two U21 titles in a row, but to be fair, I think they are a very overrated side.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

Conas wrote: »
    Wexford have all the talent, and ability in the world to kick on and win the All-Ireland for the first time since 1996. Clare only have themselves to blame, three sending's off in two games is shocking, but all three were sending's off.

Yes, Clare did win the All-Ireland last year, and have won two U21 titles in a row, but to be fair, I think they are a very overrated side.

I think there are a couple of weaknesses in the wexford side to prevent any talk of an AI win. Shooting is poor, there may be a slight lack of pace throughout the defence and possibly against the Kilkenny, Cork, Limerick and more immediate concern, Waterford half back lines the half forwards may need to up the ball winning.
    It is a great feeling though to be relevant in the hurling world again after the guts of ten years of total irrelevance.

So Clare are overrated but Wexford can win the All Ireland this year?
    Now thats overrated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Clare are so very overrated that Wexford (who have all the ability to win an AI according to yourself) took four games to get past them and wouldn't have got past them only for Clares' indiscipline?

Your two statements are at odds there horse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

It is a great feeling though to be relevant in the hurling world again after the guts of ten years of total irrelevance.

Well said and very true and welcome back. We have missed you lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

To be honest, I can't see Wexford getting past Waterford. If you watch yesterdays game back again, knowing the score and without the excitement, it was actually a pretty poor game in terms of skill and teamwork from both teams.
    Conas wrote:
    Wexford have all the talent, and ability in the world to kick on and win the All-Ireland for the first time since 1996.

Anything is possible I suppose, but in reality they have just put in 2 titanic performances against a pretty poor Clare team and barely scraped through. They will have to up their game to beat Waterford and if they do, step-up again beyond that. Highly unlikely they could pull it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Apart from the exertion of the last week on Wexford it could be a factor in the
    Result ,on the evidence of what I have seen of Waterford this year it's still a 50/50 game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Think Michael Duignan summed it up when he said :

'' If Wexford ever put their shooting boots on , then other teams better watch out ''

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭qwert55

Hard to see limerick winning an all ire with their current style of hurling which is in fairness very passionate and hell for leather but I don't think they have enough wristy stick men. Also they tend to struggle in croke park. I would give tipp and wexford a better chance of winning it.
    Kilkenny will win it out however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Bambi wrote: »
    Clare are so very overrated that Wexford (who have all the ability to win an AI according to yourself) took four games to get past them and wouldn't have got past them only for Clares' indiscipline?

Your two statements are at odds there horse :)

Last year Wexford could have beaten Clare in the qualifiers. It went through to Extra time, and it was only then that Clare pulled away. They had good heart, and determination, but they aren't a great side. They would have be beaten out the gate had they played the Kilkenny team that won the four in a row, or Tipperary in 2010.

Last year was a poor championship, and they got lucky. But this year they have been shown up to be a one trick pony, with woeful ill-discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

First off well done to Wexford, unquestionably the better team over the 180 minutes. Delighted for their fans. I hope they can go far, they have some really talented players. I think the decision making and shooting will come to them in time. I know it's a huge worry but they're still young and learning. They are definitely good enough to beat Waterford, it will be hard though, as they are likely to be tired. They have taken a big scalp now, something they have threatened these last few years, so hopefully they can push on.

Feel really despondent as a Clare supporter. I was hoping that we would put up a stronger challenge, but there are clearly huge problems in the camp. The blame game for those problems is in full swing, with Davy at the centre. The fact is he sent out a team this year that was extremely flat and has to shoulder a lot of the responsibility. It's worrying that the same problems still remain. I saw a Cork team this afternoon, that had big defensive problems last year, showing a clear progression in this area. We have regressed.

People can say we are not a great side, and their entitled to their opinion. However, nearly all these players have underage medals and are under 25. They have consistently showed great character all the way through their short careers and will be back again. I was very proud to see them hang on, when they down to 14 and 13 both days, despite playing really poorly. Were blessed to have such skill full young players and hopefully we can return to the high level of performances that this team can achieve.

Good luck to Wexford next week. It's refreshing to see a young team making the breakthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

68deville wrote: »
    Clare's lack of ball winners was the difference in the end

It's a fair point. It's an issue that has been there form day 1 with Davy's team and hasn't been rectified. Peter Duggan was brought in, but to be fair to the boy he isn't fully ready for senior. He lacks pace and doesn't take part in Clare's link up play.

Clare's ball winning system is basically the same as the system Maloney and O'Connor has used for Clare's underage sides these last few years. Due to the lack of ball winners or 'big lads' in the county, Clare are probably the only senior team that try to bring the ball on the floor rather than catch it. Both Cork and Wexford knew this and brought the midfielders back (and in Wexford's case a sweeper) and crowded the drop zones, meaning Clare just couldn't win ball.

If we could get ball winning forwards, that would help as we wouldn't have to keep breaking ball, but the fact is that they're not there. Davy needs to look at this and either change or alternate the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

letowski wrote: »
    It's a fair point. It's an issue that has been there form day 1 with Davy's team and hasn't been rectified. Peter Duggan was brought in, but to be fair to the boy he isn't fully ready for senior. He lacks pace and doesn't take part in Clare's link up play.

Clare's ball winning system is basically the same as the system Maloney and O'Connor has used for Clare's underage sides these last few years. Due to the lack of ball winners or 'big lads' in the county, Clare are probably the only senior team that try to bring the ball on the floor rather than catch it. Both Cork and Wexford knew this and brought the midfielders back (and in Wexford's case a sweeper) and crowded the drop zones, meaning Clare just couldn't win ball.

If we could get ball winning forwards, that would help as we wouldn't have to keep breaking ball, but the fact is that they're not there. Davy needs to look at this and either change or alternate the system.

Very true. Clare had their game perfected last year having used it under different management at under 21. It brought success at under age and senior but was always going to be counteracted at senior level. For all the praise heaped on this style in order to stay at the top you must be able to win ball in the air and on the ground. Hurling is a simple game but there's more to it than using a "sweeper".

Just a few months ago I read an article in which Davy spoke about having four game plans that his players can utilise in any game. There wasn't much evidence of this during this years championship. Sometimes you can over complicate hurling and cause confusion for your players.

Clare will be back providing their management adjust or changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Was at the match on Saturday. I have to say the standard of refs on saturday,earlier matches and last year is dreadful. Elite refs my arse. Some of the decisions were unfathomable for both sides. Wexford the better team over both matches but Davy is not doing the Clare taem any favours with his constant moaning. He has a point in a lot of cases but should not be airing his grieveances on the airwaves

• Advertisement
Advertisement