Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Penalty in Hurling - Should a goal be the target ?

• 07-07-2014 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

A big debate on Newstalk this evening about this .

Dublin went for a point after 2 minutes , and Wexford took a point after 66 minutes this weekend

Its obviously harder to score a goal with new rules , but goals change games .

Its been said that Wexford threw it away but if they had went for goal and missed , they may have lost by a point .

NT felt that for Wexford to go for a point was players decision , and Manager would have wanted a goal target.

What do ye guys think.?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

A big debate on Newstalk this evening about this .

Dublin went for a point after 2 minutes , and Wexford took a point after 66 minutes this weekend

Its obviously harder to score a goal with new rules , but goals change games .

Its been said that Wexford threw it away but if they had went for goal and missed , they may have lost by a point .

NT felt that for Wexford to go for a point was players decision , and Manager would have wanted a goal target.

What do ye guys think.?

Think Wexford were right to go for the point as a penalty save would have really lifted Clare and if they kept Clare out for a few more minutes they'd have won.

Dublin should have gone for a goal. I've always been an advocate that any 21 in the centre or penalty in the first 15 minutes should go for a goal. Maybe under the new rules I may have to revise this opinion though:confused:

Remember when Shefflin went for a point in the AI a few years ago and that was when the you could advance the ball!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I'd agree with the above really nothing wrong with Wexford taking the point at that stage but no idea why Dublin wouldn't have a crack at it so early, a goal would have been a massive boost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I agree with the others, Wexford taking the point from their penalty gave them a 4 point lead with only a few minutes left. Clare hadn't really threatened the Wexford goal all day, so the decision made sense.

But why Dublin only went for a point with their penalty, I'm still scratching my head.
    As a fan watching from the stands, it felt like Dublin were the lacking the cojones to take on KK toe-to-toe.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Agree right call from Wexford.

Dublin hadn't scored at all at that stage though, so I can understand the thoughts of getting on the board before KK got too far ahead. I still think it's the wrong call though. He should have went for the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Wexford's decision was right, Dublin's was wrong.

The only time you should take a point is in Wexford's situation aside from that you should go for goal. I felt Dublin taking the point nearly sent out a message that they respected Kilkenny too much. When Dublin beat Kilkenny last year, they took the game to them and were fearless. This year, they just let Kilkenny dictate the flow of the game without ever really getting stuck in and the penalty was evidence of this.

A really poor Leinster final overall. It was like a throwback to the mid to late 2000's where Kilkenny would hardly have to sweat in a Leinster final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I would have liked Wexford to get more guidance from the sideline / manager , and in their case at weekend , may have went for the jugular.

Then it could have been make or break .

Now we may wait until the end of replay to find out if a point was right decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Wexford did it because it was the wise option, Dublin did it because they were intimidated by KK on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Boils down to do you have the courage. Absolutely no reason for Keaney to stick it over. None, never seen that before.

Wexford, I get the argument. But I don't agree. Kept Clare alive, a goal would have killed them. You can make the opposite argument about what if he'd saved it, still betrays a lack of courage. Fair enough if you don't have a penalty taker, but Wexford had Jack Guiney on the field who buried a 21 against Offaly two years ago. Think they should have gone for it. Winners do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

OP, you should add a poll with the following options:
    -Point

-Goal

-Garth Brooks

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Butterbeans

I was standing on the Hill on Sunday, couldn't of been happier that Keaney went for the point - KK only 2 points up, 7 mins gone, he really should have had a crack at goal, at that stage not a lot to lose. At the closing stages of a close game it's a harder one to call, Wexford probably got it right, they've lost nothing yet.

Re the Shefflin point from a penalty in the 2012 drawn AIF with Galway, there was talk in some quarters that he choked, didn't have the bottle to go for goal. The reality is Shefflin had played a massive part in dragging Kilkenny back into that game in the 2nd half with Galway having being dominant for large parts of that game. Penalty with a couple of minutes left on the clock, sides level, takes the point, probably with the belief that Kilkenny could hold out until the final whistle. Not to be but I was relieved walking out of Croke park that day. He made the right decision in my mind, and surely his own. Would he would have scored a goal if he'd gone for it? Who knows. KK lived to fight another day and thankfully came out on top.

• Advertisement
Advertisement