Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to use my phones 3g Connection as the Network Gateway?

Options
  • 07-07-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭

How to use my phones 3g Connection as the Network Gateway? Said network has no internet access, I can connect individual WI-fi devices to the internet Via the W-fi hotspot on the phone, however I have other non WI-fi devices I want to have connectivity also.

I have an old WI-fi router that is acting as a WI-fi capable 4 port switch, i would like to connect the phone to this network and point all other devices to it as the gateway.

Any body know if this is possible?

Nate

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

What's the model of the router you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

An Ancient Eircom ADSL router - can't remember the model number - I'm actually going to use a Raspberry Pi as a router for the network.

I have the Phone connected Via usb0 to the Pi and have the Pi pinging Google through the phone. I'm currently trying to setup IP forwarding and NAT on the Pi now to pass the Gateway to the network, but not having much luck - I'll get there eventually though.

I'm amazed that nobody has sought to use a phone as network gateway before. There is no info somebody attempting it anywhere I can find. Luckily there are plenty of guides for similar, but not quite the same, setups on the pi. I'll figure it out.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

You'd be better with a Mikrotik router with Usb port, it's setup as a router, all you do is configure
    http://www.interprojekt.com.pl/mikrotik-routerboard-rb951g2hnd-level-128mb-p-1370.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

But I'd have to pay for that ... :)

I have the Pi to hand, and I'm actually enjoying the learning experience. That said If i get too frustrated I might give the Mikrotik option a go.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Nice project, good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement