Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Racing wheels

• 07-07-2014 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I very recently started racing in the A4 category and i want to buy a new set of racing wheels as i only have a very very basic heavy set after buying a second hand carbon bike minus wheels, and i was wondering has anybody got any good recommendations? What brand,rim depth, weight, Chinese imports etc. Its just for road racing, no time trials. I have a budget of 1000 euros, maybe a tiny bit more. ( clinchers only!)
    Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jack Joll

You can never go far wrong with a set of Mavic Kysriums, awesome wheel for the cost. Theres various grades, but a good set of Elites would possibly cost you €600-700, and leave a few pound for new set of GP4000's and cassette to go along with your new bling wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭evancunny95

Campagnola Shamals...Quality wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

http://www.4thebike.de/laufraeder/rennrad/aluminium/8756/mavic-ksyrium-elite-s-wts

Have a look at these, plenty of positive threads on 4thebike and the Elite S wheels. If I hadn't picked up my Shimano RS80's for €405 I would buy these.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 AlexMer

Thanks very much guys, some nice wheels. I was looking at a set of mavic cosmic carbone sls. I see a lot of people using them and the local bike shop recommended them (probably because they were the only racing wheel they had in stock) any opinions on them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Shamal Ultras or Fulcrum Racing Zeros - cracking wheels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I've been riding Ksyrium SLs for a couple of years and, while they aren't exactly racing wheels, they are (relatively) light, stiff and durable, so a good choice for an all-year-round wheel.

My next choice of wheel will probably be a set of Dura-Ace 9000 C35 clinchers though. Can be had on Bike-discount.de for around €1,000 (maybe a few euros more), so they would be right about the OP price range. I'd recommend a set of Michelin Pro4 service course 25mm tyres to go with those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Not sure how wrong is my suggestion (I am not a racer), but I would prefer a handbuilt set for half the price of some of the mentioned solutions above.
    Here is the wheelset that I have built for own use with the 7700-series Dura Ace Hubs. I rode Ksyriums before, but prefer these new wheels much more. The comfort in particular is hugely improved.

13641719465_dfbc2f42f8.jpg

13641732943_9669f64027.jpg

13632026963_e4d2f7f48f_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Seweryn wrote: »
    Not sure how wrong is my suggestion (I am not a racer), but I would prefer a handbuilt set for half the price of some of the mentioned solutions above.
    Here is the wheelset that I have built for own use with the 7700-series Dura Ace Hubs. I rode Ksyriums before, but prefer these new wheels much more. The comfort in particular is hugely improved.

Nice. I was thinking of doing something like this for my cyclocross bike-basically building up a set of road wheels on shimano hubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Can you afford to replace them when/if you crash? It really sucks throwing shiny bike bits in the bin.

• Advertisement

Just about to buy a set of mavic carbone sls with tyres for and cassette for 900 euros, any horror stories before i take the plunge??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

AlexMer wrote: »
    Just about to buy a set of mavic carbone sls with tyres for and cassette for 900 euros, any horror stories before i take the plunge??

Great wheel, enjoy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I love my cosmics. Great wheels.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

These look beautiful! Any suggestions on where or how to learn how to build a pair of wheels like these? Very impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

These look beautiful! Any suggestions on where or how to learn how to build a pair of wheels like these? Very impressive

They probably look a little grittier now!!

The book mentioned here is good.

http://thecyclingblog.com/how-to-build-a-bicycle-wheel-with-no-previous-experience/

I'd be inclined to
    1. read book first
    2. See if you can borrow or build tools
    3. Use a strong rim; the one above is strong, wide and looks well
    4. Do a conservative build 32/36 spoke 3 cross for first few builds ( an experienced builder would have no problem building rim above with 24 spokes on rear for Seweryn; he's light)

It's enjoyable for some not a runner for others and not that hard once you stick to the process in book.

You won't save much and you won't build one as light as factory wheelers like those mentioned here

Thank you.

This was (and still remains) my first wheelset that I have ever managed to put together. I had only a book and a few tips for the build and a lot of research that I did before getting my hands dirty. The research included selection of parts mainly and the type of spoke lacing patterns. I still laced the wheels incorrectly and had to repeat the process. I have been very happy with the final result though.
    The wheels are based on 28H Front and 32H Rear Shimano Dura Ace 7700-series hubs that are serviceable and that is what I wanted. The wheels are very strong yet not heavy. Just a good balance for I wanted them for...

By the way, these wheels are still turning. I built them over 3 years ago and have covered about 50k km since. The rims are now quite badly worn (obviously) and need to be replaced soon, however they never needed to be trued (except once after hitting a rock and slightly denting the rim, but that was an accident - the very same rim is still on the bike). I love the wheels and will rebuild them soon with new rims.

Let me know if you need any further info...

ford2600 wrote: »
    They probably look a little grittier now!!
    Oh... They do... :o. They still ride very well though in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Is there anything to be said for a set of Zondas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

wouldnt say the cosmic carbones fare well over a few seasons of irish racing. mine lasted two seasons. holes in the faring lets in a fair bit of water and if you're not careful about drying them out the rim bed will corrode and weaken... brought mine in for a rebuild last season as i couldnt get them true and there was a heap of cracks in the rim due to it getting gradually weaker

I nice set of tubular wheels would be just about perfect, I had a set of mach 2 cd2 rims on Ultegra hubs and Vittoria Pave tubs and they were bombproof. light too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

wouldnt say the cosmic carbones fare well over a few seasons of irish racing. mine lasted two seasons. holes in the faring lets in a fair bit of water and if you're not careful about drying them out the rim bed will corrode and weaken... brought mine in for a rebuild last season as i couldnt get them true and there was a heap of cracks in the rim due to it getting gradually weaker
    +1 on this ive been through a few sets of cosmics due to the same reasons as above , the corrosion generally causes the spoke nipple to pull through the rim . I tend to race on tubs , my new bike came with cosmics on it so ill keep these for dry weather cycling .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Shamal Ultras or Fulcrum Racing Zeros - cracking wheels

+1 for the Fulcrum Racing Zeros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

What are these rims they're sweet? I have a set of 7900 hubs knocking about that could do with being used some day.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    What are these rims they're sweet? I have a set of 7900 hubs knocking about that could do with being used some day.

Very nice rims, strong, straight out of the box, a little wider than standard so with extra comfort factor. Plus not too heavy.

If the hubs are 28/32 or 24/28 and you are not using them, please let me know.

Very nice rims, strong, straight out of the box, a little wider than standard so with extra comfort factor. Plus not too heavy.

If the hubs are 28/32 or 24/28 and you are not using them, please let me know.

No plans to sell them they'll be used.

What are the rims?

What are the rims?

http://www.wiggle.com/h-plus-son-archetype-road-rim/

As above - The Archetype model, 23mm wide (polished silver). I have used 28F/32R combination.

What are the rims?

https://dcrwheels.co.uk/products/rims/700c-rims/kinlin-xr300/

These would make for nice wheels to.

HED, Pacenti make some nice wide rims to.

You could have a go yourself at building them.

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    https://dcrwheels.co.uk/products/rims/700c-rims/kinlin-xr300/

These would make for nice wheels to.

HED, Pacenti make some nice wide rims to.

You could have a go yourself at building them.

I gave it a go with an old wheel dismantling and reassembling it wasn't entirely successful. Definitely a truing stand is a must to get them near perfect and ease.

Advertisement