Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent VOIP calls from 101 and 201 about 30 times per day!

• 08-07-2014 1:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

I have Net1 fixed line of sight wireless. I have a SIP service for my landline.

When I use X-Lite softphone I do not have this problem, but if I have my Panasonic handsets plugged in I am getting calls from 101 and 201 all the time, at all hours. When I answer there is nothing, just silence.

Im not that up with ports and all that malarkey, but if anyone can assist I would be grateful as I cannot use my handsets as it would wake me up. I had a google and it might be something to do with port scanners on public IP addresses, or something along those lines.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I have Net1 fixed line of sight wireless. I have a SIP service for my landline.

When I use X-Lite softphone I do not have this problem, but if I have my Panasonic handsets plugged in I am getting calls from 101 and 201 all the time, at all hours. When I answer there is nothing, just silence.

Im not that up with ports and all that malarkey, but if anyone can assist I would be grateful as I cannot use my handsets as it would wake me up. I had a google and it might be something to do with port scanners on public IP addresses, or something along those lines.

This is usually referred to as VoIP spam and is not unheard of. Basically computers, many of which are from unsuspecting users with viruses on their PC's, scanning ports 5060 along a list of IP Addresses. Once it finds one with an open port, it attacks it just like you have seen.

Check your firewall and ensure that it is enabled? The phone should only be accepting calls from your phone service provider. Also check and make sure that no ports are forwarded from your router to the phone- as the phone registers with the sip server, there is no need to forward ports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I have a network with 2 PCs and a Vu+ Duo2. The PCs all have the firewall enabled. The SIP phone plugs straight into my router, not through my PC so the PC firewall has nothing to do with it. I checked in my router settings and I saw a section with IPV4 and IPV6 and both firewall buttons were unchecked. SO I have enabled them now, lets see how I get on!

I have a network with 2 PCs and a Vu+ Duo2. The PCs all have the firewall enabled. The SIP phone plugs straight into my router, not through my PC so the PC firewall has nothing to do with it. I checked in my router settings and I saw a section with IPV4 and IPV6 and both firewall buttons were unchecked. SO I have enabled them now, lets see how I get on!

I meant the firewall at the router. Delete all the port forwards from the router to the Panasonic Phone also.

Do let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your router was leaving your lan very exposed by the sounds of things.

ED E wrote: »
    Your router was leaving your lan very exposed by the sounds of things.

Yes. Check to make sure there is no DMZ setup. If in doubt just reset your router, change passwords (if already done), enable firewall and reboot. Make sure all security settings are on. Might be easier then finding the culprit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement