Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil vrs Germany , World Cup Semi-Final , 8/7/2014 , 9.00pm MOD WARNING in OP

• 08-07-2014 3:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭

Likely Brazil 11:

GK Cesar
    RB Maicon
    LB Marcelo
    CB Luiz (C)
    CB Dante
    CM Paulinho
    CM Fernandinho
    LM Hulk
    RM Oscar
    CAM Willian
    CF Fred

Neymar out injured, Thiago Silva suspended. Willian possible replacement for Neymar but tough to call.

Likely Germany 11:

GK Neuer
    RB Lahm (C)
    LB Howedes
    CB Hummells
    CB Boateng
    CM Schweinsteiger
    CM Khedira
    CM Kroos
    LM Ozil
    RM Muller
    CF Klose

Will probably stick with the same team that beat France.

Odds:
    Brazil - 9/5
    Germany - 7/4
    Draw - 11/5

To Qualify:
    Brazil - 10/11
    Germany - 10/11

Mod warning. - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91190332&postcount=654

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Personally hope to see a Germany win, didnt like the way Brazil played vrs Colombia or Chile and I feel that'd it'd be a bit of an injustice were they to progress to the final now.

Brazil have 5 world class players IMO: Luiz, Silva, Marcelo, Oscar, Neymar.
    With 2 of them missing it could be a struggle for them.

Im going to say 2-1 to Germany but it'll be a batlle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Luis Gustavo will start for Brasil. I also expect to see Alves return to the starting lineup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think this is going to penalties.

So Brazil kicked Colombia up and down the pitch, as I think Big Phil thought they weren't good enough to outfootball them. What will be do tonight? More of the same? It will be a dogged affair, thats for sure.

His team is limited and his 2 best players so far out, so I think he will be happy to win on pens.

Up to now I would have wanted Germany to win this one, but I think a Brazil final would be good, especially if Argentina come through the other semi.

But I have an inkling for a Germany v Holland final myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Schürrle, Brazil are about to get Kroosified?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Personally hope to see a Germany win, didnt like the way Brazil played vrs Colombia or Chile and I feel that'd it'd be a bit of an injustice were they to progress to the final now.

With 2 of them missing it could be a struggle for them.

Im going to say 2-1 to Germany but it'll be a batlle.

... or 3 world class players and two more with Chelsea connections.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Lol at David Luiz being described as world class. Germany to win this one tonight, going to be close though.

Meanwhile, for any betting types, a tip from another forum:
    Bet that there will be a sending off. Chiquimarco is reffing.

-last World Cup match he'll ever do
    -the whole world will be watching
    -he's ruined at least 3 finals in Mexico with his reffing
    -he holds recording for giving quickest red in Copa Libertadores history (like 30secs)
    -once booked two players at the same time by holding a yellow card in each hand
    -he has his own gel brand called ChiquiGel
    -he will take revenge for us Mexicans by ruining a World Cup semi

Sounds like a solid tip to me, got 3/1 on William Hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Meanwhile, for any betting types, a tip from another forum:

Sounds like a solid tip to me, got 3/1 on William Hill.

Got 7/2 on PP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Germany for the win, final versus Argentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Amazing that Brazil & Germany have only met once before in the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Luis Gustavo will start for Brasil. I also expect to see Alves return to the starting lineup.

Who do you think will lose out because Gustavo plays? Fernandinho or Paulinho?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Luiz? :pac:

Oscar isn't there yet, and Marcelo isn't exactly a world beater himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Lemlin wrote: »
    Who do you think will lose out because Gustavo plays? Fernandinho or Paulinho?

Paulinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

Germany to win this one easily.

4-2

Another thing is that there are no referees left that has connections with the semi finalists despite they are good referees (Kuipers for instance) except for 1
    Only one referee from the four remaining countries in the tournament has been retained, Sandro Meira Ricci from Brazil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

weisses wrote: »
    Germany to win this one easily.

4-2

You're optimistic. I don't expect this one to have close to that many goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

This is going to extra time and will be the worst game so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I never thought I'd see the day I'd want to see Germany beat Brazil but that's what this Brazil team has done to me. They're a horrible team to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Klose to break Ronaldo's WC Goals record against Brazil....in Brazil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

Germany 1-0 Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

David Luiz world class ? Nice joke . The bloke is an accident waiting to happen .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I think Brazil are going to be twice as negative as usual tonight. They will be petrified of leaving luiz and Dante exposed because they could be a disaster together.

Gustavo and fernandinho to sit in front of the defence all night long and kick. Brazil will play for nil all and hope to get a set piece goal like last two games.

The game really needs an early German goal foe the neutral. In saying that I should be neutral but cmon ze Germans!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

David Luiz has been brilliant in this tournament. He seems to get a lot of stick from a lot of people on here. His transfer value has went up too over his time at Chelsea so he has to have been doing something right.

I've always like the lad because he will leave everything on the pitch and for me that makes him a great player. He just wasn't suited to the style of football played at Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

David Luiz is a dreadful defender.

eagle eye wrote: »
    David Luiz has been brilliant in this tournament. He seems to get a lot of stick from a lot of people on here. His transfer value has went up too over his time at Chelsea so he has to have been doing something right.
    He has been good this tournament, but I don't think he's a good defender. He's a good player, but that's not enough in his role. Has his transfer value really gone up? He cost Chelsea 25m, I certainly wouldn't pay that for him. PSG are just stupud really. He just cannot be relied on in defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I've always like the lad because he will leave everything on the pitch and for me that makes him a great player. He just wasn't suited to the style of football played at Chelsea.

So basically he's a CB whose play doesn't suit the style of one of the most defensive minded managers there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Pro. F wrote: »
    David Luiz is a dreadful defender.

No he isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

sugarman wrote: »
    Yes, he is. Much better deployed as a DM.

That would be the position I would play him but he isn't a dreadful defender.

I think he is much better as the left centre-back and he has MoM awards at Chelsea in that position when Terry was out. Sometimes he played as the RCB and he had made mistakes playing that position but I don't remember him making them playing as the LCB at Chelsea or with Brazil. He is never going to fit into the Mourinho system which is far too rigid a formation for him.

Lemlin wrote: »
    You're optimistic. I don't expect this one to have close to that many goals.

Based on the Germans having an early goal .. throws the game wide open imo

• Advertisement

. He is never going to fit into the Mourinho system which is far too rigid a formation for him.
    No formation should ever be too rigid for a centre half. If it is, the defender is doing something horribly wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

This is going to extra time and will be the worst game so far

That's a depressing thought considering how bad the 1/4 finals were.

No formation should ever be too rigid for a centre half. If it is, the defender is doing something horribly wrong.
    Mourinho's system will make older players look great because they just sit back and don't do much moving but an athletic centre-half like Luiz who likes to run out of defense with the ball does not go down well with Mourinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Luiz could well be found out tonight because he is capable of being terrible but to be fair to him he has played well this tournament. He hasn't been at fault for any goals conceded and has got two important goals himself.

I'm not a big fan but to say he has been bad so far is a bit harsh

Mourinho's system will make older players look great because they just sit back and don't do much moving but an athletic centre-half like Luiz who likes to run out of defense with the ball does not go down well with Mourinho.
    There's bringing the ball out of defence smartly and then there's David Luizing it. He's a bit of a headless chicken positioning-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

There's bringing the ball out of defence smartly and then there's David Luizing it. He's a bit of a headless chicken positioning-wise.

This.

He's a maverick. And a liability to his team. I'd imagine he's a nightmare to play with.

• Advertisement

Apples and oranges, you say one thing I say the other. Waste of time having this discussion. I think he is brilliant football who will do really well at PSG, obviously you disagree with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Apples and oranges, you say one thing I say the other. Waste of time having this discussion. I think he is brilliant football who will do really well at PSG, obviously you disagree with that.

I don't think he is a bad footballer . He is a liability at center half . His best position is really and truly playing as a central defensive midfielder . He was brilliant in that role .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I totally agree with you his skillsets as a defender aren't really appreciated or suited to the Pl. I think he will do great at PSG as he generally does for Brazil. Still can't understand how Chelsea got 50 million for him though. There is a general dislike of him in these parts as could be seen by the reaction to his free kick Messi or ronaldo score that and we would've had page after page of comments.

I think he is much better as the left centre-back and he has MoM awards at Chelsea in that position when Terry was out. Sometimes he played as the RCB and he had made mistakes playing that position but I don't remember him making them playing as the LCB at Chelsea or with Brazil. He is never going to fit into the Mourinho system which is far too rigid a formation for him.

He was comedy bad for the Croatian goal and weak for the Colombian play that led to the penalty. So there's two mistakes leading to goals in this tournament alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I totally agree with you his skillsets as a defender aren't really appreciated or suited to the Pl. I think he will do great at PSG as he generally does for Brazil. Still can't understand how Chelsea got 50 million for him though. There is a general dislike of him in these parts as could be seen by the reaction to his free kick Messi or ronaldo score that and we would've had page after page of comments.

Not suited to PL? He's either a good defender or he's not. He might do better at PSG because it's an easier league. He's a very talented player but he's not extremely good in any one position. In CM he started off great but over a longer period of time he was being ran through by other midfields. I actually like the guy too, he seems a guy who loves football and seems a character, so it's not a dislike of him. Don't know why something like that is always brought up when people have an opinion that a player isn't brilliant.

On the match, I hope Brazil go through but it will be quite close. Despite what some people say, Brazil have been solid enough in defence. Lot more equally big teams have looked bit more dodgy than them. Neymar and Silva will be a big loss though and I don't know if Brazil will have the nous up front to do the job. Oscar will be an important player tonight, will have to take up the mantle of a lot of what Neymar does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Germany also fouled Antoine Griezmann every time he went on a run; the only reason it didn't continue was because the referee gave Germany a couple of yellow cards; whereas as Brazil didn't get any for a very long time.

Both teams are as bad as each other; but Germany can also play decent football; they should win this.

Corholio wrote: »
    Not suited to PL? He's either a good defender or he's not. He might do better at PSG because it's an easier league. He's a very talented player but he's not extremely good in any one position. In CM he started off great but over a longer period of time he was being ran through by other midfields. I actually like the guy too, he seems a guy who loves football and seems a character, so it's not a dislike of him. Don't know why something like that is always brought up when people have an opinion that a player isn't brilliant.
    s.
    My thinking would be that because he is a ball playing CB the closing down by forwards which is generally more prevelant in the PL aswell as the fact that possession isnt as important compared to other big european leagues goes against his style of play somewhat. Having said that I still feel he would get into most PL teams at CB quite comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Could well be a classic. Why Not ?

Brazil w'ont be kicking the Germans up and down the park however.

4-2 away win.

He was comedy bad for the Croatian goal and weak for the Colombian play that led to the penalty. So there's two mistakes leading to goals in this tournament alone.

If you are blaming him for those 2 goals then there can't be too many defenders in world football you actually rate. The Cameroon goal if any goal could go down as partly his fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

What's the obsession with David Luiz anyway?

He's neither good or bad enough to be pivotal for this WC semi final.
    He's just tge latest guy to get fashionably scrutinised and singled out by the sky machine (and Eamon D). Like Mertesacker and de Michelis before him.

I like him but he's just an individual and at that not even the standout guy in his team.

If you must discuss Brazils defending prowess wouldn't Dante vs Silva be a much more acute topic?

If you are blaming him for those 2 goals then there can't be too many defenders in world football you actually rate. The Cameroon goal if any goal could go down as partly his fault.

For the Croatian goal Luiz completely lost track of Jelavic and got beaten to the ball. Jelavic missed the ball and it carried on through to Marcelo who also fcked up. It was comedy defending from Luiz to lose his marker that easily. I can't believe you think that he did okay there.

For the Colombian goal he left his marker to make a challenge for the ball; he only succeeded in kicking the ball to another Colombian (I wouldn't criticise him for that), but then was very slow in switching back to his marker who was free to receive the ball and was through on the keeper. It wasn't the worst of mistakes, but he was slow getting back on his marker and it did lead to the penalty.

For the Cameroonian goal he was on the near post and had a player off to his left to mark. The player who scored was behind him and Marcelo and Gustavo had him until they decided to not bother about defending. So I wouldn't blame Luiz for that goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Can't really see past a Germany win, with the players not available for Brazil.

But then again, I've lost quite a lot of money betting on this World Cup so wouldn't surprise me to see a 3-0 Brazil victory :pac:

Boskowski wrote: »
    What's the obsession with David Luiz anyway?

He's neither good or bad enough to be pivotal for this WC semi final.
    He's just tge latest guy to get fashionably scrutinised by the sky machine.
    Like Mertesacker and de Michelis before him.

I like him but he's just an individual and at that not even the standout guy in his team.

If you must discuss Brazils defending prowess wouldn't Dante vs Silva be a much more acute topic?

Nothing to do with what any pundits are saying. In fact I'm not sure I've heard any pundits criticizing him in this tournament. I'm able to judge players myself so jog the fúck on.

Nothing to do with what any pundits are saying. In fact I'm not sure I've heard any pundits criticizing him in this tournament. I'm able to judge players myself so jog the fúck on.

the RTE pundits were scathing of Luiz - not saying that they're necessarily right. Quietened down a bit after his free kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Jesus you're such a hard man. I'm in awe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement