Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil vrs Germany , World Cup Semi-Final , 8/7/2014 , 9.00pm MOD WARNING in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Boskowski wrote: »
    Jesus you're such a hard man. I'm in awe.

You're the one popping in with the insults, dismissing our criticism of the player as media hype, as if the critics are morons who can't think for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

eagle eye wrote: »
    His transfer value has went up too over his time at Chelsea so he has to have been doing something right.

I recall Fernando Torres' transfer value rising while he was at Liverpool. Past performance is no indication of future results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Pro. F wrote: »
    You're the one popping in with the insults, dismissing our criticism of the player as media hype, as if the critics are morons who can't think for themselves.

You want to look up what an insult is.

Opening up this forum to the general public really has lowered the tone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

Implying that posters can't form their own opinions and are only regurgitating media talk is an insult, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Most here are regulars. Not least of which is Pro F...

weisses wrote: »

Don't really mean that. Only trying to troll your man. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

For the Croatian goal Luiz completely lost track of Jelavic and got beaten to the ball. Jelavic missed the ball and it carried on through to Marcelo who also fcked up. It was comedy defending from Luiz to lose his marker that easily. I can't believe you think that he did okay there.

He was running back to his own goal while having to keep an eye on jelavic and was in a decent position to block jelavics shot if he had of connected that was my feeling watching it initially and since on YouTube. Anyway on tonight's game I'm hoping for a Brazil win but would make the Germans slight favourites.

Implying that posters can't form their own opinions and are only regurgitating media talk is an insult, obviously.

No it's not. If that was true I couldn't ever disagree with you on anything without insulting you.

• Advertisement

No it's not. If that was true I couldn't ever disagree with you on anything without insulting you.

Yes, because all disagreements you have must be expressed by saying that the people expressing the opposing view are only regurgitating media talk. Yes, that makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

David Luiz is a dreadful defender.

His clearance on the line at a critical moment in confederations cup final earned him my respect. Ok mickey mouse tournament but what a clearance

Yes, because all disagreements you have must be expressed by saying that the people expressing the opposing view are only regurgitating media talk. Yes, that makes perfect sense.

I can see your point. But what I mean is would we have this discussion if he wasn't constantly being trotted out by sky/Eamon?
    Is his presence or not presence really going to win or cost Brazil the World Cup?

Edit: look I didn't mean to rile you up. I can see how if not particularly thick skinned on the day you could read some passive aggressive thing into my first post. Didn't mean it.
    Not particularly thick skinned me self today btw.

Come On Deutschland!

I can see your point. But what I mean is would we have this discussion if he wasn't constantly being trotted out by sky/Eamon?

Yes. Because he is a poor defender that cost €50m.
    Is his presence or not presence really going to win or cost Brazil the World Cup?

He costs his teams goals regularly when playing at CB, so there's a reasonable chance that he will cost Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Easy German win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

I don't see this being easy, probably a 1-0 German win with extra time being a strong possibility. Dante is a top defender and Willian is a work horse who can pop up with a goal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I actually think an early Brazil goal will make for a more open game.
    If Germany score first they've shown that they can navigate a win based on the French match. Also, Germany are quite dangerous when attacking 6-7 opponents from midfield (as will happen if they are leading). Muller's movement causes disarray in opposing defences, allowing crosses to find unmarked Germans.
    If Germany score first it could turn out like the Portugal game. If Brazil score first we might get a decent match.
    Brazil should keep it tight, hope for a break, set piece, home town decision, whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Please God don't let Brazil win this game tonight.

The quarter final was bordering on farce with their tactics and the refs performance. A horrible team to watch who don't have the balls to do anything than try and kick their way to the final, with possible assistance form the officials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a controversial night to come i wonder??

will the ref be a homer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

fryup wrote: »
    will the ref be a homer?

Will the ball be round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

David Luiz has been brilliant in this tournament. He seems to get a lot of stick from a lot of people on here. His transfer value has went up too over his time at Chelsea so he has to have been doing something right.

I've always like the lad because he will leave everything on the pitch and for me that makes him a great player. He just wasn't suited to the style of football played at Chelsea.

To me Luiz is a bit of a qaundry.
    He is a good footballer, good with the ball, great shot as we have seen, but he can get a little lost and that is not always good for a centre half.
    Some of his clearances in this WC have been rediculous.
    Now giving him the benefit of the doubt he is probably told by Scolari to hoof into space up front as there is no one in midfield to give it to.
    Montroseee wrote: »
    I don't see this being easy, probably a 1-0 German win with extra time being a strong possibility. Dante is a top defender and Willian is a work horse who can pop up with a goal.

I wouldn't rate Dante that highly.
    The very interesting thing tonight is that there are two defenders from Bayern here who could be targetted by both sides.
    Boateng could be targetted by Brazilian runners and likewise with Dante and German attackers.
    Then again Mertesacker being run at by Hulk would not be pleasurable for all the German fans.
    Hummels should definitely stead the ship and Lahm should be back in defense with Khedira, Schweinsteiger in front of them.

Anyway Deutschland über alles.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Trevor joins george in the commentary box this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

good combo ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Brazil will win this easy. 2-0 or 3-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Tokarev

fryup wrote: »
    a controversial night to come i wonder??

will the ref be a homer?

I don't know why people keep saying this?
    And not aimed at just you fryup.

Ok, Brasil got a few say calls in their favour in certain matches,

But check the stats - Brasil are only 2nd to Costa Rica for most cards in tournament.

Brasil have 10 yellow cards so far - Costa Rica got 10 yellows and one red.

And if the refs was always (say) up for Brasil.
    There's no way the captain of Brasil, T.Silva would have got that yellow?
    Resulting in a automatic ban for this match!

Anyway - Germany to win 2-1 in hopefully a very exciting match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Brazil will win this easy. 2-0 or 3-0

I agree with this, backed them -1, and also Bernard to score last for them

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

David Luiz is a dreadful defender.

Stop listening to pundits so much and actually look at the match yourself. He has been as good as Thiago Silva in this tournament who is the best defender in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Stop listening to pundits so much and actually look at the match yourself. He has been as good as Thiago Silva in this tournament who is the best defender in the world

In your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Such a lazy argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Zzzzzzz Germans to win 3-1 in 90mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

adox wrote: »
    Such a lazy argument.

I think its fair to say that the media seem to have an agenda against Luiz and I think a lot of people start believing the notion that he is a bad defender because of this without looking at games

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Such a lazy argument.

As much as i don't rate David Luiz so much,

He has been up there with the best centre backs in this world cup,

Only Varane, Hummels and T.Silva have been better than him at this tournament, regarding centre backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

14,161 days since Brazil last lost a competitive game on home soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I think its fair to say that the media seem to have an agenda against Luiz and I think a lot of people start believing the notion that he is a bad defender because of this without looking at games

I think it's fair to say also, that the people who go to the effort to comment on a soccer forum, probably have more than just a passing interest in the game and therefore would have seen him play on numerous occasions.
    Just because you don't agree with someone's point of view doesn't automatically make them ignorant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Fred and Hulk to take the Germans by the scruf and place Brazil in the final..

In reality I cant see past an efficient german win.

Germany vs the host country in major tournaments:

9 Won ('62, '72, ’76, ’82, ’86, ’92, ’96, ’02, ’08)

2 Lost (’58, ’66)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

#BRA LINE-UP: Julio Cesar, David Luiz (c), Fernandinho, Marcelo, Hulk, Fred, Oscar, Dante, Luiz Gustavo, Bernard, Maicon

#GER LINE-UP: Neuer, Hoewedes, Hummels, Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Ozil, Klose, Muller, Lahm (c), Kroos, Boateng

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Tokarev wrote: »
    Germany vs the host country in major tournaments:

9 Won ('62, '72, ’76, ’82, ’86, ’92, ’96, ’02, ’08)

2 Lost (’58, ’66)

I can't see how matches in the 50's-90's against a bunch of other countries have any bearing on tonight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

David Luiz does get an awful lot of stick, he might not be worth the £40/50m that PSG paid for him but surely if two of the top clubs in Europe were willing to sign him he can't be as bad as some people make him out to be, not to mention starting for Brazil. I like him personally, he takes a lot of risks (maybe more than a centre half should take) but more often than not the risk pays off and he comes out the better, he has pace, he's strong, good in the air, good at taking the ball out of defence, has a strong shot on him - I honestly think he will be one of the best centre halves in the world in 5 years, he just needs to mature that little bit.

I want Brazil to win it but think Germany will be too strong with Neymar & Silva missing, I'll go Germany 1-0. Can't say I'm an expert on Bernard but I definitely would have started Willian tonight.

Stop judging him by transfer fees and actually watch the games that he plays in. You see, I can make an idiotic argument just like yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Busy in here...

I thought all the talk about semis would be in the hotties thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Have to fancy the Germans to win this one with Neymar and Thiago Silva not playing.

Its looking likely that we will get a repeat of the Mexico World Cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Oh look, we are at the semis and Richie, Brad, Darragh and Didi have all been dropped for the Old Boys Club. What a shocker.

For the match, if Brazil are to win they will need Marco Rodriguez to play out of his skin for them at the heart of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,645 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Hopefully Germany can win it. Neymar and Thiago Silva are big losses for Brazil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

C'mon Brasil!!

What does Fred have on Scolari and what has Lucas Moura done to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Come on ze Germans

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Its looking likely that we will get a repeat of the Mexico World Cup final.

Which one's that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

vidor wrote: »
    Which one's that?

Was there more than 1?

EDIT:Yes of course there was...silly me :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I really hope Brazil can do it. It'll be an incredible achievement if they can win this game without both their captain and their star player.

• Advertisement
Advertisement