Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil vrs Germany , World Cup Semi-Final , 8/7/2014 , 9.00pm MOD WARNING in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Sand wrote: »
    Pretty safe to say the kids in the favelas don't have those distractions, and they're still pretty rubbish.

The German side played some brilliant football in the game and they faced far more distractions as kids. They had video games and phones.

people in the favelas for the most part would have video games and phones they just live in cramped conditions that we wouldnt be used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Bill O'Herlihy, Eamon Dunphy, Johnny Giles and Liam Brady not sure whether its the real thing or Apres Match :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Gbear wrote: »
    Obviously god was too busy giving a load of kids malaria.

Nonsense we all know God has much more time to help strikers score goals. Giving a load of kids malaria is just something he does in off season. Less sinners on the German team obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Betcha we'll be seeing big Phil back in the Premier League this side of Xmas ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

What a result.

Twas funny at the end. Oscar scored then turned to run back to his half, then thought "shÌt I should get the ball", and went to run to the goal. Then must have realised "wait, we need 7 goals in injury time" and ran back to his half instead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

efb wrote: »
    Cos you posted it...

I wish!:pac:
    I'm not as quick witted I'm afraid, best I managed was when one of the lads posted saying Germany were all over the midfield and I replied with "Kroos control" :o
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Everyone having a pop at RTE coverage.

Easy to do.

Still find it way ahead and more interesting than any other's stations coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    Scolari picked hard working players there are talented Brazilians that werent picked because the coach was too stubborn to pick them
    Hulk and David Luiz hard working? You could have fooled me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Playing out with Gareth Brooks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

The guys didnt mention that Brazil got their goal when Mertezaker was on... The German keeper has to play as sweeper every time he plays... It's a different German team when Humels is playing...

Hummels has entered god mode for the germans at the right time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

lol @ the playout music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Genius - Garth Brooks music over the match footage.

:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

GArthyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Lol Garth Brooks as the outdo music

RTE have a sense of humour!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

loving their muzak at the end credits though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

lol

Garth Brooks song on RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Ravenid

RTE music dept win agani!!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

If anything, this thread has reminded me how much I look forward to the day when a sporting event featuring Germany can be discussed without umpteen references to WW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭numbnutz

What absolute class from the Germans at full time...empathy and above all sportmanship...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Hulk and David Luiz hard working? You could have fooled me!

probably phrased it wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭Sand

people in the favelas for the most part would have video games and phones they just live in cramped conditions that we wouldnt be used to.

Either way its a cliche: The Germans had distractions, they've turned out some cracking players. And some awful players in the past. The kids in the favelas had phones, or didn't have phones. They turned out some cracking players in the past, and some terrible players today.

Natural talent and proper encouragement and coaching have a far bigger part to play in turning out good players consistently than video games, dictatorships, the weather or whatever else coincidental factors chancers like Dunphy come up with. The Germans made some deliberate choices 15-20 years ago and they're seeing the benefits today - they may not be the harlem globtrotters, but they are a wonderful side to watch when in full flow and they have been better than anything they have faced so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Was saying to my brother earlier that an average of 8 goals per game were needed in the last four games to bring the tournament average up to 3 per game. That's one down, three to go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

@WolfmanKenny.... lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭35cent

If you see a Brazilian tonight, give him a hug for me. Humiliation of the highest order

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

f5c0d11a3c9d9767d1c2ec9f529c094d.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

apres match-pure class!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You wouldn't get that on the BBC... rock on!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Dunphy and Brady brawl on Apres Match - hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I'm going to put on my Neymar mask and mourn for a little while.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Augmerson wrote: »
    In Southern Germany right now.

It's like they've won WW3, cured Cancer and won the Universe Cup all in one. The place is going ****ing crazy. People are just going nuts.

Same in Berlin. Neighbours ran out of fireworks 30 mins into the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Ha dunphy biting Brady!! Best Apres Match ever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

transylman wrote: »
    If anything, this thread has reminded me how much I look forward to the day when a sporting event featuring Germany can be discussed without umpteen references to WW2.

I made a joke about the battle of Marathon during the Greek game, your day isn't coming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Soldie wrote: »
    Same in Berlin. Neighbours ran out of fireworks 30 mins into the game.

I've already been kissed by 2 girls and....a lad. Horns honking everywhere. Fireworks. Drunk people everywhere. It's kind of cool. This is what it's like to be going to a WC final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mewso wrote: »
    Nonsense we all know God has much more time to help strikers score goals. Giving a load of kids malaria is just something he does in off season. Less sinners on the German team obviously.

Good job there was no womens boxing on tonight , he'd have been stretched to the limit. :)

brevity wrote: »
    Playing out with Gareth Brooks :D

Whats it got to do with Wales?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

Scolari got what he deserved for being a negative, cynical, and stubborn old goat. Imagine a managerial partnership of him and Trapattoni :eek:

transylman wrote: »

It was WW3 actually.

Anyway, I'm allowed. I'm German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Wonder will our leader be at the final. Angela does love her football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

niallo27 wrote: »
    We used to play football for 8 hours straight on a Saturday. No bull**** 8 or 9 hours straight only stopping for fish fingers and chips.

it's still happening on my estate, young lads not interested in watching the footie but playing it !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Ah ****e missed the credits and après match is it up online yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

What we saw was a monumental case of ENTITLEMENT exposed, eviscerated and sent packing.

The Brazilian team have been swaggering around as if they own the world cup and are ENTITLED by nature of being born in Brazil, and have been carried along, scraping past each game on a wave of support, from their fans and excessive respect by their opponents.

Tonight we saw players with average talent, no character and no sense of pride. They shamed their country and they shamed football by a performance that was worse than teams I have seen on Sunday mornings in my local park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭letowski

Jaysus lads, Tim Howard wouldn't have saved Brazil tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

dolliemix wrote: »
    Ha dunphy biting Brady!! Best Apres Match ever :)

I've not watched much of it but yeah "you wont see that on BBC" as Bill hits Dunphy with a bottle.:)

Is it the same guy that does Bill and Brady?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

keith16 wrote: »
    They booed the shit out of the Chilean national anthem too. Delighted for them.

I thought I had imagined that.

Even though Fred wa
    snt great that was lousy.
    If anyone should be booed it should be Scolari.

Funny they couldnt care less how bad Fred et al was when they were scraping through.

The Brazilian fans remind me of the kiwi rugyby fans.
    They are too fecking used to winning and are poor fecking losers.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

10450175_10152212058992876_7281790913234100383_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I will say Julio Cesar is a poor keeper but I don't think he could've been blamed for any of the 7 goals tonight. I dunno about anyone else but when Germany scored 4 goals in 5 minutes, I felt distinctly uncomfortable almost as if I was witnessing a murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Liam Brady hit the nail on the head earlier about Irish football, it's all about physicality, looking for the big physical lads, no one holding on to the ball and passing it. Totally agree, encountered the same growing up, 11 6ft+ lads on a pitch hoofing it up, and it's still happening in leagues in Ireland today. German football tonight was unreal, 1 touch 2 touch pass and move, totally blew Brazil away... that's what we should be teaching our kids who play the game now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Sand wrote: »
    Either way its a cliche: The Germans had distractions, they've turned out some cracking players. And some awful players in the past. The kids in the favelas had phones, or didn't have phones. They turned out some cracking players in the past, and some terrible players today.

Natural talent and proper encouragement and coaching have a far bigger part to play in turning out good players consistently than video games, dictatorships, the weather or whatever else coincidental factors chancers like Dunphy come up with. The Germans made some deliberate choices 15-20 years ago and they're seeing the benefits today - they may not be the harlem globtrotters, but they are a wonderful side to watch when in full flow and they have been better than anything they have faced so far.

I agree with you as much as I like brazil as a nation. Germany have been playing some great football the last 8 or so years and have been unlucky at times to not have won a trophy and have been the most impressive team to date thats before tonights massacre.
    Nothing to do with football was just pointing out that the people in the favelas would have much the same technological things that we have. I was talking to a brazilian coach over there and he hoped they wouldnt win the world cup as they need to totally reform how things are run from a coaching perspective and a brazilian win would just paper over the cracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

14421579530_a134b5c498.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

mada999 wrote: »
    Liam Brady hit the nail on the head earlier about Irish football, it's all about physicality, looking for the big physical lads, no one holding on to the ball and passing it. Totally agree, encountered the same growing up, 11 6ft+ lads on a pitch hoofing it up, and it's still happening in leagues in Ireland today.

That's one thing I've always wondered though? The average Ireland team (at least post-Charlton) is actually not particularly tall on average. Any time we line out against someone like say Germany for instance it's immediately noticeable.

Advertisement