Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil vrs Germany , World Cup Semi-Final , 8/7/2014 , 9.00pm MOD WARNING in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Hulk up front would have done the job well enough. A few from Neymar, Oscar, Willian and the rest behind him and they would have had a serviceable CF to give them something to play off.

I don't know what you are laughing at, he has been as good as Thiago Silva in the world cup up until today. Why don't you highlight some of the bad games he had apart from this one in the world cup?

I'm laughing at your opinion that Luiz had been having a good tournament and that he had been playing as well as Silva.

I pointed out where he was at fault for two goals, before tonight, earlier in this thread. That's just two goals. When I watch him I see him making a mess of defending constantly in every game, but I'm not going to talk you through it all. You can trust me that he is a rubbish defender, or not. I don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I wonder how much Chile and Columbia are kicking themselves after seeing that ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Pro. F wrote: »
    I'm laughing at your opinion that Luiz had been having a good tournament and that he had been playing as well as Silva.

I pointed out where he was at fault for two goals, before tonight, earlier in this thread. That's just two goals. When I watch him I see him making a mess of defending constantly in every game, but I'm not going to talk you through it all. You can trust me that he is a rubbish defender, or not. I don't care.

What two goals were these?

What two goals were these?

You can search my posts, I only wrote it earlier this evening in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

efb wrote: »
    Nice of them to win 1 war I suppose

Congradulations on being the most consistently unfunny person on boards.ie in the great and well respected book of chupacabra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Brazil will win this easy. 2-0 or 3-0

Oh dear, I'm about as good at predictions as Dunphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I wonder how much Chile and Columbia are kicking themselves after seeing that ****e

Problem was Brazil kicked them. Off the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Delighted Brazil got hockied. Maybe if Scolari had of brought defenders who won La Liga and where runners up in CL things might of been different. David Luiz, has been and always will be a liability. He looks like a headless chicken at times. He's a terrible Centre Half. No Thiago Silva no party!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Never thought I'd see a result like that in modern football. If the loss to Uruguay in the 1950 final was "The Defeat", then what the hell was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Brazil punished for deserting their beautiful game.Karma ? May well be.But they lost a lot of friends with their cynical, bully boy tactics.Germans are disciplined and work as a team and were not going to be intimidated and fair pay to them.They gave Brazil a footballing lesson

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I had Brazil in my pool with friends. would have got €40 if they won. couldnt be happier about losing it :) what a performance by Germany, what a complete capitulation by Brazil. They deserved this after the Colombia game.
    All glory to our German overlords :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Never thought I'd see a result like that in modern football. If the loss to Uruguay in the 1950 final was "The Defeat", then what the hell was that?

That was 'The Holocaust'. Tonight, whatever pride Brazil had in it's footballing tradition was pretty much flattened. It no longer is there. Not in any meaningful way anyway. Brazil will have to turn around and rebuild their machine from scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Really struggling to believe what I just saw out there, that game will go down in history. The Germans were fantastic but like another poster said I actually felt strange watching it as the 4th and 5th goals etc. went in, there were men out there experiencing ultimate humiliation in front of the whole world, and right on their doorstep. Some of the quotes from the Brazilian players would make you feel very sorry for them. But congratulations to Germany, surely they deserve to go on and win it now, personally didn't think they have been great so far but tonight they were lethal.

Amazing night, that will go down as the most memorable world cup moment of my lifetime for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Speaking of 1950. I don't suppose another change of shirt colour might be on the cards?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

What it came down to tonight for me, imo, is a top class European team coming up against a over hyped team who luckily, have gotten this far the tournament. Without Neymar and especially Thiago Silva any shield they had to protect the weakness of the team evaporated and they were ripped to pieces. Mind you, even with those two players I believe Germany would have won easily.

Get rid of the home advantage, the diving, the kicking in the previous round which ironically came back to haunt them, david luiz's haircut and you end up with a fruitless team who I still cant understand got this far in the tournament. The Lahm tackle early on with Marcelo taking a tumble kinda sums up my point, for all the theatrics, showboating and kicking, when it came down to it vs a top class team they were sensationally outclassed and I for one, couldn't be happier.

Modern football is all about sh1te imo and players hyping themselves up, I'm glad it took a backfoot tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

nuxxx wrote: »
    What it came down to tonight for me, imo, is a top class European team coming up against a over hyped team who luckily, have gotten this far the tournament. Without Neymar and especially Thiago Silva any shield they had to protect the weakness of the team evaporated and they were ripped to pieces. Mind you, even with those two players I believe Germany would have won easily.

Get rid of the home advantage, the diving, the kicking in the previous round which ironically came back to haunt them, david luiz's haircut and you end up with a fruitless team who I still cant understand got this far in the tournament. The Lahm tackle early on with Marcelo taking a tumble kinda sums up my point, for all the theatrics, showboating and kicking, when it came down to it vs a top class team they were sensationally outclassed and I for one, couldn't be happier.

Modern football is all about sh1te imo and players hyping themselves up, I'm glad it took a backfoot tonight

Not that hard to understand. Far from a great team, but with Neymar and Thiago Silva in their team, they are better than Colombia and Chile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Delighted Brazil got hockied. Maybe if Scolari had of brought defenders who won La Liga and where runners up in CL things might of been different. David Luiz, has been and always will be a liability. He looks like a headless chicken at times. He's a terrible Centre Half. No Thiago Silva no party!

Paul mcShane makes Luiz look good ,he is that bad.
    An awful player who hasnt an iota how to defend.

Tonight he thought he was playing in a roving but deep midfield role like he did under Benitez at Chelsea.
    Problem was he was supposed to be playing centre back not midfield and everytime he recklessly went forward he left huge gaps that Germany clinically punished.

He was directly at fault for three of the goals ,and as captain he showed absolutely no leadership or composure .

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

briany wrote: »
    That was 'The Holocaust'. Tonight, whatever pride Brazil had in it's footballing tradition was pretty much flattened. It no longer is there. Not in any meaningful way anyway. Brazil will have to turn around and rebuild their machine from scratch.

It was a humiliating match and there's no way to deny that. But as long as Brazil is the only country to have won 5 world cups as well as the only country to have been in each and every world cup since the beginning, Brazilian footballing tradition is alive and well, thank you. It was the worst match for Brazil since I can remember. Germany beat us and humiliated us but it did not wipe out our history. It will take Germany if they win the cup this time, or Italy 4 more years plus another cup to make it to where Brazil is right now, 5 times champions, humiliated or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

But that's a bit like Ireland and the Eurovision. Yes, we kicked ass in it once but now we are , mostly shtye with our entries and then constantly remind people of our accomplishments.

Brazil, aren't Brazil. Kids growing up today will only hear stories and see dvds, but they won't have any memories of the awesome teams. The world cup had never truly began until you witnessed Brazil play. Now that torch is passed to another nation. I think it's Spain for the sheer riches of talent they have at their disposal. But only time will tell. My money is on Germany or Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

There seems to be an attitude problem with a lot of Brazilian players these days eg. Robinho, Jo, Pato, Anderson, Paulinho, Fred etc. etc. All of these players got big money moves that didn't exactly work out to put it mildly. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Neymar is added to that list in a few years. Obviously they are still producing a few big players such as Oscar, Silva and Alves but the dip in standard may be down or at least partly due to this phenomenon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Think it was more a case of their agents being good and clubs falling for the fact they're Brazilian.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Think it was more a case of their agents being good and clubs falling for the fact they're Brazilian.

Or maybe it's because the overall poor standard of the Brazilian league makes them look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

Piliger wrote: »
    What we saw was a monumental case of ENTITLEMENT exposed, eviscerated and sent packing.

The Brazilian team have been swaggering around as if they own the world cup and are ENTITLED by nature of being born in Brazil, and have been carried along, scraping past each game on a wave of support, from their fans and excessive respect by their opponents.

Tonight we saw players with average talent, no character and no sense of pride. They shamed their country and they shamed football by a performance that was worse than teams I have seen on Sunday mornings in my local park.

Haha, entitlement? I only learned what that word meant in Ireland, we don't even have an equivalent in Portuguese! Also, I can guarantee you Neymar or any Brazilian person for that matter will never use his bad back to claim disability and never work again, just an example of what entitlement means.
    And if you think any team playing Sunday morning in your local park is better than Brazil, why couldn't Ireland get 20 or so of them together and make it to the world cup?!?
    Brazil was bad, it was a horrible match more like a noghtmare to us but the c*rap people talk is just nonsense... Wasn't the world cup bought for us??? All the refs in our pockets?!? Poor James Rodriguez haunted by thugs?!? Was Klose and Germany immune to our thugs?!? The ref too expensive??? What happened then?? Did we forget to pay the Germans?!?

Haha, entitlement? I only learned what that word meant in Ireland, we don't even have an equivalent in Portuguese! Also, I can guarantee you Neymar or any Brazilian person for that matter will never use his bad back to claim disability and never work again, just an example of what entitlement means.
    And if you think any team playing Sunday morning in your local park is better than Brazil, why couldn't Ireland get 20 or so of them together and make it to the world cup?!?
    Brazil was bad, it was a horrible match more like a noghtmare to us but the c*rap people talk is just nonsense... Wasn't the world cup bought for us??? All the refs in our pockets?!? Poor James Rodriguez haunted by thugs?!? Was Klose and Germany immune to our thugs?!? The ref too expensive??? What happened then?? Did we forget to pay the Germans?!?

Brazil should have never beaten Crotia in the first match, it was an atrocious refereeing display that allowed them to. They should have been 2nd in the group and eliminated in the round of 16 to Holland. It's by the grace of god that they actually reached the Semi Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

FIFA wanted Brazil to get out of their group and quarter finals at least, otherwise the whole atmosphere would die down and rioting and discontent would likely get worse. FIFA couldn't give two ****s about Brazil once they got to the semi-final much less final. You got found out finally.

You got a very soft penalty against Croatia that should never have been given and struggled/drawed a number of times against weak opposition. People are making the point that just because it's "brazil" doesn't mean it's like the "brazil" of old.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭IamMe33

Commiserations on the Blitz of Belo Horrorizonte but that statement is obviously nonsense and the result of a bruised national ego.

The noises out of Brazil were of a presupposed destiny that this was their WC and after the way they've kicked, dived and swaggered to the semi's there was a certain satisfaction watching a team that played football show them how the game should be played. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Lemlin wrote: »
    You're optimistic. I don't expect this one to have close to that many goals.

Ha ha famous last words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Good news- we won't have to hear all 100 verses of the Brazilian anthem again - wait 3rd place playoff... Doubt their heart will be in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

To those talking about Entitlement and the Brazilians swaggering around like the World Cup was theirs, can I just ask ...

A: how my Brazilians you know?

B: how often you read Brazilian media or watch Brazilian TV?

People are basing this on some kind of attitude that they haven't seen or experienced. My guess is that in the spirit of pure Irish begrudgery, we're just delighted for them.

I'd imagine that any Brazilian that knows a bit about football has said we've Neymar and Silva and not much else. I mean there was a reason they were going nuts at Diego Costa - poor tournament or not he's had a far better year than all the other Brazilian strikers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

In Salvador right now. Obviously Brazilians are depressed at that result but they were still out partying tonight, although I imagine less so than if they'd won. No signs of trouble here, although theres rumours about trouble in Sao Paulo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

It was a humiliating match and there's no way to deny that. But as long as Brazil is the only country to have won 5 world cups as well as the only country to have been in each and every world cup since the beginning, Brazilian footballing tradition is alive and well, thank you. It was the worst match for Brazil since I can remember. Germany beat us and humiliated us but it did not wipe out our history. It will take Germany if they win the cup this time, or Italy 4 more years plus another cup to make it to where Brazil is right now, 5 times champions, humiliated or not.

A poor team gets well beaten and you trot out the old "5 times" chestnut. You're not a ×××××××××fan by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

In Salvador right now. Obviously Brazilians are depressed at that result but they were still out partying tonight, although I imagine less so than if they'd won. No signs of trouble here, although theres rumours about trouble in Sao Paulo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

qwabercd wrote: »
    Not that hard to understand. Far from a great team, but with Neymar and Thiago Silva in their team, they are better than Colombia and Chile.

They weren't better than Chile. That end in a draw. They only won on penos. I was surprised they beat Columbia but that was a dirty scrappy game, Columbia are the better side IMO.

Prior to that, they beat Croatia with a lot of help from the referee in the opening game, drew with a pretty decent Mexican side and beat Cameroon (possibly the worst team in the competition). They'd done nothing in the group stages to indicate they were serious contenders.

I said it back in the 2nd round of group games that a good side would beat Brazil, that if they got Holland in the last 16 they'd go out but if they got Chile, they might make it to the QF or even SF as the teams on that route to the SF were not as good.

Last night Germany finally showed them up. I did not expect a result like last night but I would have been more shocked if Brazil won 1-0 than I was for that 7-1 result.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

There has been some amount of nonsense in all the Brazilian match threads the boards public decided they didn't like Brazil for footballing reasons which is fine but they have turned it into some massive dislike for all things Brazilian with a lot of uninformed comments about so many non football issues. The match fixing thing is so ridiculous it's laughable. Anyone that's actually been to your country will understand the type of people you are. From a football perspective I believe the confederations cup win in hindsight was probably the worst thing that could've happened as it ramped up expectations so much.Was over for the confederation cup and prior to it most Brazilians were so downbeat about their teams chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Good lad no surprise there. Have you been there for the whole thing I just did the group phases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Montroseee wrote: »
    Brazil should have never beaten Crotia in the first match, it was an atrocious refereeing display that allowed them to. They should have been 2nd in the group and eliminated in the round of 16 to Holland. It's by the grace of god that they actually reached the Semi Final.

the grace of god?

after what happened last night, i reckon they're wishing to god they got knocked out in the 1st round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Paul mcShane makes Luiz look good ,he is that bad.
    An awful player who hasnt an iota how to defend.

Tonight he thought he was playing in a roving but deep midfield role like he did under Benitez at Chelsea.
    Problem was he was supposed to be playing centre back not midfield and everytime he recklessly went forward he left huge gaps that Germany clinically punished.

He was directly at fault for three of the goals ,and as captain he showed absolutely no leadership or composure .

I think I understand his €50m move from chelsea though. He has the skills of a good player, not the brains, but that is not why he got the move. Its the image. He is instantly recognisable thus he is a marketers dream. Up to this game he had a decent world cup albeit he was well protected by silva. If the transfer was still in negotiation however.....

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I think I understand his €50m move from chelsea though. He has the skills of a good player, not the brains, but that is not why he got the move. Its the image. He is instantly recognisable thus he is a marketers dream. Up to this game he had a decent world cup albeit he was well protected by silva. If the transfer was still in negotiation however.....
    I think the amount of money paid is more down financial funny stuff between PSG and Chelsea than anything else. That is the only way that I could possibly figure out why someone would pay that much for Luiz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

cournioni wrote: »
    I think the amount of money paid is more down financial funny stuff between PSG and Chelsea than anything else. That is the only way that I could possibly figure out why someone would pay that much for Luiz.

Jose laughing all the way to the bank. Luiz hasn't a scooby doo how to defend.

Contrast him with a player like Lahm or Hummels, there is literally no comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I've heard this before without any explanation about how it makes any sense. Why would PSG do Chelsea such a big favour? What do they gain from it? They have been one of the club's sanctioned by FFP. It only helps Chelsea and I don't see them returning the favour anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Tokarev

Keyzer wrote: »
    Jose laughing all the way to the bank. Luiz hasn't a scooby doo how to defend.

Contrast him with a player like Lahm or Hummels, there is literally no comparison.

But you can guarantee as great as Lahm or Hummels are they will never score a free kick like sideshow bob did.

And in fairness Luiz was good in the WC before the massacre last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Tokarev wrote: »
    But you can guarantee as great as Lahm or Hummels are they will never score a free kick like sideshow bob did.

Lahm or Hummels wouldn't do what Luiz did last night tho either! Over excited, too hyped up....completely lost his head!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Lukker- wrote: »
    I've heard this before without any explanation about how it makes any sense. Why would PSG do Chelsea such a big favour? What do they gain from it? They have been one of the club's sanctioned by FFP. It only helps Chelsea and I don't see them returning the favour anytime soon.
    Its more the cynic in me talking than anything else Lukker, but here goes...

It could work by creating a mini economy among sugar daddy clubs to avoid sanctions, obviously there would be a loser in all of it at some point but if they keep the merry go round going then it would be very difficult for football authorities to keep track of. A bit like the circular loans that used to go on at some of the banks here, the only added issue that they would have is the transfer windows.

Again, the cynic in me is saying this, I'm not saying its actually what is happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Lahm has two assists this tournament. Hummels has two goals. They might not have scored that free kick but they're no slouches in making an impact on the other end of the pitch.

• Advertisement

Maybe not a free kick but Lahm is capable of scoring an absolute screamer given the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

This isn't the first time I have heard this and I wonder where this myth has come from. Just because he scored a fancy free kick doesn't mean he has played well. He's been all over the place defensively throughout the world cup. He can't defend, simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Its more the cynic in me talking than anything else Lukker, but here goes...

It could work by creating a mini economy among sugar daddy clubs to avoid sanctions, obviously there would be a loser in all of it at some point but if they keep the merry go round going then it would be very difficult for football authorities to keep track of. A bit like the circular loans that used to go on at some of the banks here, the only added issue that they would have is the transfer windows.

Again, the cynic in me is saying this, I'm not saying its actually what is happening.

Would they not need to make these huge transfers between the clubs very regular for that to even have a chance of being effective? Not that I think it could be in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Tokarev

Reekwind wrote: »
    Lahm has two assists this tournament. Hummels has two goals. They might not have scored that free kick but they're no slouches in making an impact on the other end of the pitch.

As good as Lahm and Hummels are (both are top class)
    As i said, they won't score a free kick like Luiz did.
    Keyzer wrote: »
    Maybe not a free kick but Lahm is capable of scoring an absolute screamer given the chance.

Class goal but again, Lahm won't score a free like Bob did.

This isn't the first time I have heard this and I wonder where this myth has come from. Just because he scored a fancy free kick doesn't mean he has played well. He's been all over the place defensively throughout the world cup. He can't defend, simple as that.

Agree 100%.

I think this is why Jose played him as a DM to break play up.

Nothing personal against the chap, he's just an awful defender.

• Advertisement
Advertisement