Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Smell

• 08-07-2014 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

We got a kitten about 10 weeks ago, she was 5 weeks old when we got her. Everything has been going grand, until yesterday evening when i came home from work to be greeted by the most disgusting smell in the sitting room.

Straight away we assumed she has poo-ed somewhere as that was nothing in the litter tray. But after giving the whole room a good going over, cleaning the floors, behind chairs and presses there was nothing to be found. I couldnt sit in that room last night, came down this morning and it nearly knocked me out.

1. Could somebody please enlighten me as to what it could be?
    2. Could somebody please tell me how i can get rid of the smell?

I bought a bag of dry food on sunday and gave her some of that, im assuming that might have something to do with it.

Help appreciated, as i could vomit in my mouth here at the thoughts of that woeful smell.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

When my cats were kittens (I have three and have had one cat have kittens before too so have lots of experience with them all) they used to absolutely stink. If you let the kitten out then it may just be some outside smell but one of my cats used to have unholy gas and it really could fill a room so that you would have to put your nose in your jumper.

If you feed your kitten meat or treats or even milk - cat or human milk then it could be from that. Our cat used to have gas from both the milk and little scraps of chicken or tuna we would give her.

Kittens can be extremely discreet too and there may actually be a poo but well hidden, I would maybe watch where you sit and stand because they are really sneaky sometimes! (Trust me, I've found poo in a closed cupboard before).

To get rid of the smell, I recommend any kind of febreeze, a furniture spray (like the carpet salts but I can't remember what you call them) and possibly one of those plug in air freshners?

My little cat had an accident in our back room the other week and I found all of these things lifted the smell almost immediately - that - and good ventilation.

If you are worried about your cat though you could ask a vet? Or even google.

I hope this has helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭padzer

Aragneer wrote: »
    When my cats were kittens (I have three and have had one cat have kittens before too so have lots of experience with them all) they used to absolutely stink. If you let the kitten out then it may just be some outside smell but one of my cats used to have unholy gas and it really could fill a room so that you would have to put your nose in your jumper.

If you feed your kitten meat or treats or even milk - cat or human milk then it could be from that. Our cat used to have gas from both the milk and little scraps of chicken or tuna we would give her.

Kittens can be extremely discreet too and there may actually be a poo but well hidden, I would maybe watch where you sit and stand because they are really sneaky sometimes! (Trust me, I've found poo in a closed cupboard before).

To get rid of the smell, I recommend any kind of febreeze, a furniture spray (like the carpet salts but I can't remember what you call them) and possibly one of those plug in air freshners?

My little cat had an accident in our back room the other week and I found all of these things lifted the smell almost immediately - that - and good ventilation.

If you are worried about your cat though you could ask a vet? Or even google.

I hope this has helped.

Thanks for that.

You could be on to something alright, as the smell doesn't seem to be coming from one area of the floor or room.

Now that I think of it I did catch her drinking the dregs of a cereal bowl that was left on the table, so maybe she is dropping bombs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

cat farts are no joke our guy almost 5 now just drops some crackers

and for some reason he seems to get very active in that dept when sitting on your lap

I must say I enjoy blaming my daughters boyfriend for the smell he hasn't really figured me out yet but im sure she had him well warned

jimf wrote: »
    cat farts are no joke our guy almost 5 now just drops some crackers

and for some reason he seems to get very active in that dept when sitting on your lap

I must say I enjoy blaming my daughters boyfriend for the smell he hasn't really figured me out yet but im sure she had him well warned

Haha, if you were to point the finger of blame for this smell at somebody, they would want to be wearing a nappy or throwing their jocks in the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Try not to use air freshers, animals respiratory tracts are quite sensitive (not to mention their sense of smell) and they are quite close to the ground - don't want to cause any irritation!

If you are 100% sure it is not a pee/poo smell, then the best solution is opening windows for as many hours per day as possible to air the place out and washing soft furnishings (anything the cat comes into contact with regularly). If the smell is horrendous, you may want to consider moving the cat to a different room without carpet/fabric couches/lots of cushions etc.

Cats can be very sneaky when it comes to hiding their business, double check to make sure there are no surprises around the room or even old smells that were not cleaned up properly - they may need a second going over. Use an enzyme cleaner to clean up and accidents to make sure the smell is really gone.

The litter tray can harbor smell even if it is empty with fresh litter. Residual odor can be on the tray itself so give it a really good wash with warm soapy water and rinse it really well. Bleach or something similarly strong can put the cat off using the tray so steer clear from these, washing up liquid should do the trick. Leave it to air dry outside.

• Advertisement

To follow up on this, went home yesterday evening, still an unreal bang out of the room. Put up a couple of those diffuser air fresheners and gave the place another good scrub.

Noticed the kitten still hasn't had a dump though. Then while she was sitting on my lap she let rip of the most incredibly horrific smelling farts. So I am thinking she has some sort of upset stomach or just hasn't gotten used to the new dry food.

Ate all the sachets of grub I gave her anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

What kind of food is she on? It may be too rich for her if she's very gassy or it might be that there isn't enough fibre in it if she's constipated. Maybe a tiny pinch of wheatgerm in her wet food would sort it out, only a very tiny pinch. We use it with one of our cats and it's only a few euro in the supermarket.

What kind of food is she on? It may be too rich for her if she's very gassy or it might be that there isn't enough fibre in it if she's constipated. Maybe a tiny pinch of wheatgerm in her wet food would sort it out, only a very tiny pinch. We use it with one of our cats and it's only a few euro in the supermarket.

We just have her on the MultiFit kitten sachets, its like Maxizoo's own brand. Seems to eat it anyway. It was just the other day I decided to get a bag of the same brands dry food for kittens.

Might give that a go so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We feed our cats a mix of wet and dry. They have a bowl of dry food that we leave down and they nibble it when they want it. Keep an eye on her, if she doesn't poop soon you'll need to get the vet to take a look at her in case there's something serious going on. Cats are incredibly good at hiding illness until it gets to crisis point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

padzer wrote: »
    We just have her on the MultiFit kitten sachets, its like Maxizoo's own brand. Seems to eat it anyway. It was just the other day I decided to get a bag of the same brands dry food for kittens.

Might give that a go so.

MultiFit is a low quality, budget food. If your cat is having a dodgy belly, it is likely to be the food. Switching food to a better quality food should improve the bad gas/dodgy belly situation. Do so slowly, don't switch in one go (this could lead to more belly problems). Think of budget foods as the fast food of the pet world - if you ate nothing but chips and take aways for a week, you would feel pretty crappy and have some very bad gas! They won't do the animal any harm (and they will eat it up) but there are better foods available that are better for your cat in the long term.

If your cat is not pooing, or is constipated, you will need to bring her to the vet, especially considering she is still a kitten. There may be another problem manifesting as the issues you are having. Again, it could just be down to diet but with a kitten it is better to be safe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement