Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Final attempt at solving this problem......

• 08-07-2014 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Hi all, this is an extract from my recent PM to the Eircom help-line. It was a last-ditch attempt to solve a continuing problem. The advice in reply was to
    delete my account and set it up again. I'm not keen on this, as it took about a week for incoming mail to suddenly start working when I recently set-up.
    At least I can receive, which is better than nothing!

" I have a continuing problem regarding SENDING emails on my Sony Xperia android phone.
    I've asked so may questions on Boards that I can't select one particular link.
    Basically, Initially I was unable to set up my webmail, no matter what settings I used. Then last week it suddenly connected and I was able to receive mail.
    But no matter what I try, I simply cannot send mail.
    Please, don't just tell me to select 'mail1.eircom.net port 25' etc. It just doesn't work for me. I spent ten minutes on the phone to technical support at 33 cent a minute to hear the same advice.
    I have tried every combination and setting I can find on Boards, all to no avail. I have now given up and accepted that I'll never be able to send mails.
    The frustrating thing is that ONE test mail got through to a recipient sometime during various test sendings, so I know it can work!
    Any help would be appreciated, I know this seems to be a problem for many people on Boards.
    Thanks, Tony"

Anyone out there who has an android (preferably a Sony Xperia?) and is using Eircom as a carrier, have you had this problem....and if so, how did
    you solve it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Did you try port 587 on the same server?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Firstly, your SMTP server needs to be set to whatever network you are currently connected to. Who is your mobile provider because if you are on 3G and sending via Eircom's SMTP, it won't work. What app are you using for email, is it the default mail application?

The SMTP server if on the Eircom network has always been mail1.eircom.net, you don't need to emphasise port as it defaults to 25 and SSL does not need to be on but you DO need to enable authentication using the same details for POP3 / IMAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

Your archaic webmail provider does not provide portable smtp.
    You need to either change provider or pay for an smtp service.
    Your mobile provider may have one but is likely it will only work while on their network (same as eircom)

You can also use gmail but beware there is some setting up involved
    https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-google-s-smtp-server

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

Did you try port 587 on the same server?

Yes, it just says 'cannot open connection to server'
    If I then edit details back to 25, it completes. But still won't send.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Firstly, your SMTP server needs to be set to whatever network you are currently connected to. Who is your mobile provider because if you are on 3G and sending via Eircom's SMTP, it won't work. What app are you using for email, is it the default mail application?

The SMTP server if on the Eircom network has always been mail1.eircom.net, you don't need to emphasise port as it defaults to 25 and SSL does not need to be on but you DO need to enable authentication using the same details for POP3 / IMAP.

Yes, I'm on Eircom as per my OP. All instructions followed to the letter (excuse the pun). All combinations, all variations. No luck.

• Advertisement

surpy wrote: »
    Your archaic webmail provider does not provide portable smtp.
    You need to either change provider or pay for an smtp service.
    Your mobile provider may have one but is likely it will only work while on their network (same as eircom)

You can also use gmail but beware there is some setting up involved
    https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-google-s-smtp-server

I've been in touch with eircom, (see OP) surely they would have told me that I can't send mails from my android if that was the case? Also, one mail got through in the past (see OP) so it has worked......
    I can send and receive Gmail, but I want to keep my long-held email address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Either:

1. Configure gmail to check your Eircom POP3 account to download emails.
    2. Configure your eircom address to forward to your Gmail

Then set up a filter/label in gmail to identify and tag the ones that originated from Eircom.

Then set up gmail to "Send mail as:" and set up your eircom address there (when sending an email, you can "send as" your Eircom address).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

tony glenn wrote: »
    I've been in touch with eircom, (see OP) surely they would have told me that I can't send mails from my android if that was the case? Also, one mail got through in the past (see OP) so it has worked......
    I can send and receive Gmail, but I want to keep my long-held email address.

Perhaps you will read my link at some point so ...

Good ideas, but you haven't allowed for the fact that I'm fairly stupid. How do I re-configure anything in Gmail when it's already set up with a different email address?
    There doesn't seem to be a way into it to change anything......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

tony glenn wrote: »
    Good ideas, but you haven't allowed for the fact that I'm fairly stupid. How do I re-configure anything in Gmail when it's already set up with a different email address?
    There doesn't seem to be a way into it to change anything......

Sign into gmail on a computer. Click the cog -> settings -> accounts and import -> Add a POP3 mail account that you own.

Fill in your details there and you'll then receive email from both addresses into the one inbox. You can give the eircom ones a label so you can tell them apart when they arrive.

Back on the settings screen you can also add it as an address you can send mails from too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Theres no reason why the native client wont work.

mail1.eircom.net ON EIRCOM WIFI, port 25(no SSL), tell it to authenticate with incoming not attempt a sending login. That should do it just fine.

If you're using 3G/4G or another ISPs wifi you need to use THEIR SMTP server. They fact you had to call their premium rate number suggests thats the case.

surpy wrote: »
    Perhaps you will read my link at some point so ...

Sorry, missed that....went back and read it. Excellent! Quick cup of tea and then I'm on it. Many thanks.

ED E wrote: »
    Theres no reason why the native client wont work.

mail1.eircom.net ON EIRCOM WIFI, port 25(no SSL), tell it to authenticate with incoming not attempt a sending login. That should do it just fine.

If you're using 3G/4G or another ISPs wifi you need to use THEIR SMTP server. They fact you had to call their premium rate number suggests thats the case.
    Ha...I agree, it should work through Eircom, so I'll try this first. Thanks to all for the input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Mr E wrote: »

Then set up gmail to "Send mail as:" and set up your eircom address there (when sending an email, you can "send as" your Eircom address).

Hey folks, I'm having issues with exactly this, trying to use my eircom address to "send mail as" on my Gmail account.

I've set this up for other email accounts for domains I own and it works well, but because I don't own the eircom.net domain and because eircom have a restriction with what connections can send mail through their smtp, I think this is what's causing the issue.

The box where you enter the smtp details is asking for:
    Add another email address that you own

Send emails through your SMTP server
    Configure your emails to be sent through eircom.net SMTP servers -Learn more
    SMTP Server: smtp.eircom.net
    Port: 25, 465 or 587
    Username: ****@eircom.net
    Password: *******

Secured connection using TLS (recommended)
    Secured connection using SSL
    Unsecured connection

Authentication failed. Please check your username/password.
    Server returned an error: "Unspecified Error (SENT_SECOND_EHLO): Smtp server does not advertise AUTH capability code(0) "

So where eircom usually checks the connection to see if it's eir, it's checking it here and is seeing that it's gmail trying to connect, not my ISP.

Advertisement