Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heat pumps

• 08-07-2014 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi all

I am trying to work out potential savings on a heat pump and need some help.

Say I get a ground sourced heat pump with a COP of 4.0 and my annual heating bill 20,000kWh. Lets assume I will not need to heat the water any hotter then what the heat pump can give me.

Since the heat pump has a COP of 4, this means for every 1 kWh I use, I get 4kWh of heating. Then to get 20,000 kWh of heating, I would only need to use 5,000 kWh (20,000/4) which would then cost approx €966.

What I am wanting to know is am i correct in assuming that for a COP of 4, if i put in 1kWh I will get 4 kWh or 3kWh out of heating?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

Howlin wrote: »
    Hi all

I am trying to work out potential savings on a heat pump and need some help.

Say I get a ground sourced heat pump with a COP of 4.0 and my annual heating bill 20,000kWh. Lets assume I will not need to heat the water any hotter then what the heat pump can give me.

Since the heat pump has a COP of 4, this means for every 1 kWh I use, I get 4kWh of heating. Then to get 20,000 kWh of heating, I would only need to use 5,000 kWh (20,000/4) which would then cost approx €966.

What I am wanting to know is am i correct in assuming that for a COP of 4, if i put in 1kWh I will get 4 kWh or 3kWh out of heating?

Thanks in advance

You'll get 4 back. 3kw of free energy from the ground and 1kw electrical converted to heat.
    COP is variable however so depending on what heat pump you install and who installs it you could end up with a much better COP than the rated COP or much worse.

Advertisement