Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donal Skehan Sashimi grade Salmon

Options
  • 08-07-2014 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I am trying to figure out is "sashimi" grade salmon, which is part of a recipe in Donal Skehan's The Big Easy, a collection of recipes in the Irish Independents Weekend Magazine, Raw, Cooked or Smoked Salmon. My wife saw the recipe and she went to lidl and bought some of the ingredient for this. She came home with vacuum packed Salmon darns, which i said was the wrong type of Salmon for this dish. Is it? and what do i look for when i go to the supermarket to buy the right salmon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I know there's a proper definition of it out there involving how the fish is caught, killed & processed but the basics of 'sashimi grade' is that the fish is both safe & tasty to eat raw. Definitely something to pick up from a fishmonger and not in a supermarket

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just reading up on it here

It would seem that the Sashimi is just the raw fish element of Sushi.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

BaZmO* wrote: »

oh wow

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BaZmO* wrote: »

Sorry OP, I actually misread your original post. For some reason I thought you wanted to know the difference between Sushi and Sashimi. As MissFlitworth has already said, a fishmonger would be the place to find what you're looking for rather than a supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Thanks for that Stella

I Ommited a word in my post, Sorry! I am trying to figure out *what* is sashimi grade.. Lucky for me, my Town has several fish mongers!! Not!

Thanks for the info everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

I am a big fan of Lidl, but I'm not eating their salmon raw. I buy the organic stuff from Kish Fish myself for eating raw, and nobody has died yet :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,848 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fish that you can eat as Sashimi should be frozen while fresh, and then thawed before you eat it. :)

I don't think "sashmi grade" has an official meaning but basically it's the stuff you can eat raw and it will have been frozen at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

awec wrote: »
    I don't think "sashmi grade" has an official meaning but basically it's the stuff you can eat raw and it will have been frozen at some point.
    Freezing it at some point is supposed to kill parasites. A short time at a very cold temp.

I've seen sashimi grade defined as fish caught on a hand line, and killed instantly with a spike, the cleaned and dropped into an ice bath.
    That was from at a large fish market, and the fish had a large mark up over regular salmon.
    I have my doubts about all that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I get fish for sushi at the market on Thursdays and when I say that it's specifically for use raw in sushi, they will always go for a fresh piece buried in the ice and use a different knife.

Must ask him tomorrow why this is done. I assume it's in case the knives were used to gut etc.

Advertisement