Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Bargain Alerts (Games/Hardware/Accessories) MOD Note post #1

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

How much do you get for a controller, is the 50% boost still going?

Just in theory based on a controller being the same trade in as cex of 34 quid. One could hit a few stores end up with 10 controllers for average of 16 each.
    Trade all in and end up with an one x for 160...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

OsZa wrote: »
    Got two minecraft controllers in Parkway Limerick today. Very helpfull staff, guy even got 2 cheapest games from a drawer, Fifa 16 and Battleborn both for €5 when I asked about trade in deal. He said that I can not buy and trade those same games all over again. I went to Cex and bought Destiny (€15 used in Gamestop) and Shadow warrior for €16 both. Gamestop also sell Division new for €4.99, but no stock in Parkway. Realy a steal, retail price for minecraft controller is €90.

That’s gas, the girl in there yesterday said there was no way they would take Battleborn and FIFA 16 so I got Sunset in CEX for 8 and Battlefield 4 for 4 euro in GameStop and used them for the controller.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

tony1980 wrote: »
    That’s gas, the girl in there yesterday said there was no way they would take Battleborn and FIFA 16 so I got Sunset in CEX for 8 and Battlefield 4 for 4 euro in GameStop and used them for the controller.

I think we spoke at the counter? Yeah she also told me they don't take Fifa 16 even though they clearly did later and they do in other stores.

It's complete pot luck. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

mik_da_man wrote: »
    How much do you get for a controller, is the 50% boost still going?

Just in theory based on a controller being the same trade in as cex of 34 quid. One could hit a few stores end up with 10 controllers for average of 16 each.
    Trade all in and end up with an one x for 160...

The 50% boost is still running according to in store advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I think we spoke at the counter? Yeah she also told me they don't take Fifa 16 even though they clearly did later and they do in other stores.

It's complete pot luck. 😂

Haha 😆 we sure did. GameStop staff are hilarious, I even got her to check about FIFA 16, she started doing something on the computer and said nope, that won’t work with FIFA 16 😆

Might see you at the park run in UL next week 😉

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭175010012017

beercr8te wrote: »
    Went back in and told them the offer is still live and about the code they need to enter, heard more b.s. from guy in charge, story kept changing,

Exactly my experience. The guy just changed the story on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Why do some stores do that? Is it because the boss would give them **** if the do the deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Hococop wrote: »
    Why do some stores do that? Is it because the boss would give them **** if the do the deal

I'd say some managers nearly had a heart attack when they realised they were about to become awash with several thousand useless copies of FIFA 16 and Battleborn....

Still think its a bizarre offer from Gamestop, there's no logic to it. You get a €90 controller. They get €10 and two drinks coasters/frisbees.

I can't see the odd person deciding to buy FIFA 18 or the new COD suddenly reversing their financial misfortunes.

I'd say some managers nearly had a heart attack when they realised they were about to become awash with several thousand useless copies of FIFA 16 and Battleborn....

Still think its a bizarre offer from Gamestop, there's no logic to it. You get a €90 controller. They get €10 and two drinks coasters/frisbees.

Yeah I can't figure it out, they are losing money big time, you have to assume some are cooking the books big time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Yeah I can't figure it out, they are losing money big time, you have to assume some are cooking the books big time

No they are not :confused:....... It's an absolutely brilliant idea on Gamestops side :eek:

They shouldn't finish it until at least tomorrow evening at 6pm at the very earliest!

*just on the off chance that they read Boards.ie*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Went to navan gamestop with the brother so he could get the controller deal.
    We picked out 2 cheap games from gamestop themselves.
    He went up with the thief and battlefield 4.
    He asked could he buy them and trade them in there and then ,the man behind the counter said he can't cause battlefield 4 wasn't worth 5€ (it was €4.99)
    So brother said he'd get another game,went and got pes 2016 for €8 then he goes no you must come back tomorrow and do it.
    Your man is full of s**t ,I traded in FIFA 16 that cost €1 yesterday in another GameStop so don't know where he's going with the whole 5€.
    Sure if he was to trade in battlefield 4 himself it would be worth about €1 since they sell it for €5. Can't understand the logic of that meself!!!
    Your man was a manager apparently so no one to complain to!
    Only benefit of going was I picked up another copy of battle born and FIFA 16 for €4 so off to my local GameStop during the week :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

GameStop are farcical. Some stores are great such as the William Street store in Limerick city where staff know their sh!t inside out (sadly the manager there just left which is a big blow). But most stores haven't a clue. I have gone into stores only to be greeted by bewilderment when I mention a deal that is all over the web for days. Yes, days. I have been in stores where a girl had no idea that a major game had been released even though I showed her the game was on sale elsewhere.

The company is a shambles. The various stories regarding the controller deal makes that very clear. They are beginning to hemorrhage top staff and it is showing.

If the general public knew you could get games way cheaper in Argos and could trade them in for far more cash in CeX, they would tank pretty quickly. They are lucky that many of their customers are clueless parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Xbox Live 12 Month Gold Membership £37.95 probably the cheapest at the moment, you will need to use Parcel Motel though

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

Exactly my experience. The guy just changed the story on the spot.

Was it the Galway store? The guy in charge today in galway is somebody i have never seen working there before, upon my second visit today day he pretended to not know what i was talking about at first relating to the controller deal and it still being live and lads getting the deal honoured around the country still plus what another poster said about a code to enable the deal, he couldn't be bothered to check it out or ring somebody and the store was not busy at the time, his reply was another different story which was people were buying in suspicious circumstances and the deal was suspended for that store. I'll be going back in tomorrow when the regular guy in charge will be there and I bet they will honour that deal no questions asked and if they do I'll have a few questions about that other guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

amadablam wrote: »
    That's what you get when you get too many soldiers, wanting to be officers :rolleyes:

The offer runs until the code is revoked on their retail system and can no longer be redeemed at the point of sale

Their 'head office' may end the deal at any point and this was explained to me by a manager today but he said until that happens, they are to honour if as the offer is valid up and until, that point.

They have full control over the value of the games being traded and if they don't scan with a preset value, well that's fine but it is not at the discretion of the staff to alter terms and conditions.

If Gamestop want to do this, they do so across the board.

The offer may run until Christmas and has only seen a spike since they advertised it on Facebook in recent days

It has been running, quietly, on and off for a while, apparently

I agree, I haven't given up, have a feeling when i go in tomorrow i'll get the deal again and no big deal if over as they will have another offer again yet, what annoys me more is the way the stores inconsistently implement deals and as you say people in the stores seem to be changing the deal criteria on a whim and spinning old yarns. I managed to get just the black controllers earlier this week the galway store was only giving those out and would not give any others, many here managed to score minecraft and other controllers in other stores, fairplay to those lads bagging those.

I think microsoft have been bankrolling these promotions, i read in newspaper articles leading up to the xbox one x launch that microsoft were paying retailers to offer promotions and trade in deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Xbox Live 12 Month Gold Membership £37.95 probably the cheapest at the moment, you will need to use Parcel Motel though

Not really a deal cheaper else where but only by than 3 or 4 euros cheaper.

But it is a deal in another way as it is from a legitimate source as you can have problems buying from those other key selling places.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭inna981

Got mine yesterday in Waterford. Staff were nice.
    I asked them what games I could trade in and they said any Xbox One game except Fifa 14 or 15. So I strolled to CEX and bought Destiny and some Final Fantasy game for €14. I also traded in my old day one Xbox One controller into CEX which they gave me €10 cash.
    I got the last nonblack controller there.
    So basically I traded in my old black controller and got a new one.

Love the new controller. It has Bluetooth so I can play my PC games with it and the headset jack is nice too. Was worth it in the long run :D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnf26

Am just curious,we trade in the 2 games and buy the new controller for 9.99 but what i just noticed for this month for level 3 plus loyalty card holders if you buy a controller you get 3months xbox live free has anybody gotten this?maybe we havent got it as were already getting an offer and cant combine both.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Not really a deal cheaper else where but only by than 3 or 4 euros cheaper.

But it is a deal in another way as it is from a legitimate source as you can have problems buying from those other key selling places.

I agree it can be found cheaper on the likes of eBay, £36 with best offer option and they sometimes have 3 moths free and no extra parcel motel expense either

Never had a problem with a digital code and always use PayPal just in case
    A few sellers had them on adverts for €40 last year but they seem to have stopped selling now

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭175010012017

beercr8te wrote: »
    Was it the Galway store? The guy in charge today in galway is somebody i have never seen working there before, upon my second visit today day he pretended to not know what i was talking about at first relating to the controller deal and it still being live and lads getting the deal honoured around the country still plus what another poster said about a code to enable the deal, he couldn't be bothered to check it out or ring somebody and the store was not busy at the time, his reply was another different story which was people were buying in suspicious circumstances and the deal was suspended for that store. I'll be going back in tomorrow when the regular guy in charge will be there and I bet they will honour that deal no questions asked and if they do I'll have a few questions about that other guy.

Yeah, it was in the Galway store.
    Please let me know how that went for you if you go Monday.

• Advertisement

johnf26 wrote: »
    Am just curious,we trade in the 2 games and buy the new controller for 9.99 but what i just noticed for this month for level 3 plus loyalty card holders if you buy a controller you get 3months xbox live free has anybody gotten this?maybe we havent got it as were already getting an offer and cant combine both.

The GameStop system will only allow one offer to be applied per transaction, so its either get the controller for €10 or pay the balance and get 3 months free Xbox live.

The GameStop system will only allow one offer to be applied per transaction, so its either get the controller for €10 or pay the balance and get 3 months free Xbox live.

Yeah, I tried it yesterday and the poor chap got in an awful fluster so I left it.
    Will pick up a cheap sub on Friday (Hopefully!!)

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Yeah, I tried it yesterday and the poor chap got in an awful fluster so I left it.
    Will pick up a cheap sub on Friday (Hopefully!!)

I remember Amazon had a fantastic deal on 12 months last year so hopefully the same again this year

I remember Amazon had a fantastic deal on 12 months last year so hopefully the same again this year

Yeah, both Game and Amazon were doing 12 months for £25. Got 2 years and my membership now doesn't expire until 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

FutureGuy wrote: »
    GameStop are farcical. Some stores are great such as the William Street store in Limerick city where staff know their sh!t inside out (sadly the manager there just left which is a big blow).

I was in there this morning to get another controller on the games offer and after chatting to the guys in there, CJ and Calum, I mentioned about the great praise Williams Street Limerick Gamestop is getting and they asked if we would all feed that in through the Gamestop Ireland Facbook page and Gamestop Facebook page and mention in the survey on www.Gamestopsurvey.com on your receipts?

In fairness, its the only way good staff ever get opportunities.

I know this post will be lost in a few hours but if anyone has a good comment about this store, feed it in. Maybe it will help them in return for the help they gave you.

That's a great idea and I will definitely be doing it.

I use Gamestop in Douglas Cork and every time the service has been fantastic.
    Today they found a creeper controller for me and that's two kids cribmo controller pressies sorted. Just had to buy two copies of Fifa 16 to trade in.

Traded in my old controller and got 30 quid for that, put it against Doom VR and then got a free T-Shirt. I honestly felt like I was robbing the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

inna981 wrote: »
    Got mine I also traded in my old day one Xbox One controller into CEX which they gave me €10 cash.

Is €10 all you'll get for one of the controllers without the 3.5mm jack? The CEX website says €24 but it's not exactly clear which controller is which edition.

I have two spare controllers to trade in, either two original black controllers (no 3.5mm/no bluetooth) or two white bluetooth ones. From what I can see on the CEX website, there's only a couple of quid difference in the trade-in price. Anyone know if this is actually the case?

I'd rather keep the ones with bluetooth for my PC and Steam Link. I know most people are buying controllers rather than trading them in at the minute, this deal came at the wrong time for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

B_Sharp wrote: »
    Is €10 all you'll get for one of the controllers without the 3.5mm jack? The CEX website says €24 but it's not exactly clear which controller is which edition.

I have two spare controllers to trade in, either two original black controllers (no 3.5mm/no bluetooth) or two white bluetooth ones. From what I can see on the CEX website, there's only a couple of quid difference in the trade-in price. Anyone know if this is actually the case?

I'd rather keep the ones with bluetooth for my PC and Steam Link. I know most people are buying controllers rather than trading them in at the minute, this deal came at the wrong time for me!

Sell the controllers on adverts, I got €40 for one recently and it sold within a day

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭inna981

B_Sharp wrote: »

You're right, its €24 to trade in the controller without bluetooth/3.5mm. I just bought 2 games at the same time which was €14 so they gave me €10 cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

inna981 wrote: »
    You're right, its €24 to trade in the controller without bluetooth/3.5mm. I just bought 2 games at the same time which was €14 so they gave me €10 cash.

Ah right, cool. Thanks for the info!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement