Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One/360 Dashboard & Update Discussion (Retail/Beta/Preview Versions)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's a bigger download too as opposed to the 350mb or so ones of late.

New features are going to be enabled soon apparently. My guess: Avatars*

*I've guessed that for the last three big releases, so at this stage, my guesses aren't worth s***e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

CatInABox wrote: »
    Alpha ring testers are moving onto a newer build tonight, so I'd assume that the current build will be released to everyone soon.

Mad how they're running behind on all the Win10 and Xbox builds though, it was all meant to be released a weekend or two ago.

Xbox is grand, its those pesky windows lads delaying everything :p

Xbox is grand, its those pesky windows lads delaying everything :p

More delays.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The new stuff coming in the next (next) update seems cool, 120hz support, an update to pins so that you can organise them by groups, and the ability to trim clips in the dash itself. All nice to have.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/04/20/may-xbox-update/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

In April, we added variable refresh rate, 1440p resolution support, and auto low latency mode.
    Did they? Or is this whole "news" about the alpha/beta thing?

• Advertisement

JoyPad wrote: »
    In April, we added variable refresh rate, 1440p resolution support, and auto low latency mode.
    Did they? Or is this whole "news" about the alpha/beta thing?

It's a bit of a mess, to be honest. The 1804 build is the one with all those features, and it's totally done, finished and ready for release, but because they found some major issues with the Windows 10 PC build, they're holding it until they can both be released at the same time. They've got a new release candidate build in testing now, if they don't find another blocker bug in that, then everything should be released before the end of April.

The 1805 build is now in the alpha ring, that's the one that the article is all about.

The April update is rolling out to everyone now. See here for details on what's in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

The April update is rolling out to everyone now. See here for details on what's in it.

Is there a way to mute all the dashboard sounds. Find them irritating

The first 1806 update is rolling out, here's some of the release notes:
    New Features:
    While anticipation for E3 continues to build for a fantastic lineup of new games for Xbox players, we’re sharing some great new features in development that will begin to roll out to Xbox Insiders today. Not all of these features will be available immediately, but will be added over time in system update 1806 (June Update). The team at Xbox is always striving to improve the platform, and these features developed from fan feedback will continue to be shaped by Insider previewers. Enjoy these new features and giving your valuable feedback as we count down the days to the Xbox E3 briefing on June 10th!

Group Your Games and Apps
    With so much content available, fans have asked for more options to organize libraries of games and apps. Today, we’re introducing a powerful new enhancement to Pins, which we call “Groups.” With Groups, you can create multiple collections of content made up of anything from within My Games & Apps. You can also assign custom names to each Group, organize and order them, and add individual Groups to Home. Groups will appear across My Games & Apps, Home and Guide, so you’ll be able to access your Groups at a moment’s notice. Best of all, Groups are tied to your Xbox Live account, so they will automatically sync across multiple Xbox One consoles. We’ve started you off with a Group that should look very familiar — your Pins!

Improved Search Functionality
    Searching for content is now even easier! Now pressing the Y button anywhere in the dashboard will bring up the search dialog. This process is found in many apps, but now you can do it anywhere within the dashboard. Not seeing enough results for your search? Hit enter or click the “more results” button to view a full page for your search results.

Multiple Wi-Fi passwords
    The team at Xbox wants to enable gamers to hop online and play with ease. This feature enables users to store multiple Wi-Fi passwords on their console. This will make jumping between networks even easier and give you even more reasons to pack your Xbox on your next vacation!

Additional Accessibility Options
    The Narrator feature on Xbox One now supports five additional languages, including Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, Swedish, and Dutch. We’re also adding an Australian version of English language for Narrator, so Australian users will no longer have to select US or UK English in order to use Narrator.

Improvements to Family Settings
    New features will allow for the right experience for child accounts.

Experiments
    A subset of Xbox Insiders may see some experimental features in addition to what’s listed above. These are designed to gauge interest and solicit feedback from a more focused group. For example, some users will be able to share game-specific stats amongst your friends right on your home page. While others may find greater functionality within Clubs.

The Groups feature is still being tested by a super small group, seems it needed a good bit longer in the oven.

The new features that jump out are Multiple WiFi passwords (finally! A lot of people asked for this one) and updated search. I had been wondering why they had removed functionality from the Y button, seems it was for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

Sounds like a great update tbf

Pin groups woohoo!

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »
    Sounds like a great update tbf

Pin groups woohoo!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to testing it, but they've got it restricted more than usual. Think that they got sick of people taking the mick with the Preview program, so only gave it to people with loads of bug reports, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I wonder is an Update All button for when you have more than one outstanding update on their radar to implement?

What's that site again, where you can vote for features? :)

Microsoft are creating a new Insider Testing Ring, skip ahead, where you'll be able to test features months in advance, not just the features that are releasing in the next update.

The verge has more here.

It's interesting, but I'll probably stick with the alpha ring. Skip ahead will be bleeding edge, and I think I'd prefer to have a functional console rather than the latest build.

Microsoft are creating a new Insider Testing Ring, skip ahead, where you'll be able to test features months in advance, not just the features that are releasing in the next update.

The verge has more here.

It's interesting, but I'll probably stick with the alpha ring. Skip ahead will be bleeding edge, and I think I'd prefer to have a functional console rather than the latest build.

It won't be that bleeding edge, it will have gone through 2 rounds of testing already

It won't be that bleeding edge, it will have gone through 2 rounds of testing already

True, but I'm currently looking at a preview dashboard with half the icons on it broken, so......

True, but I'm currently looking at a preview dashboard with half the icons on it broken, so......

fix is probably checked in on a newer branch. Small stuff like that happens a lot.

fix is probably checked in on a newer branch. Small stuff like that happens a lot.

Yeah, I know, but rounds of testing didn't catch this before it got released to the Alpha ring, so I'd say the skip ahead ring will have even more stuff like this happening in it.

It's getting fixed tonight, by the way, new build is out.

Yeah, I know, but rounds of testing didn't catch this before it got released to the Alpha ring, so I'd say the skip ahead ring will have even more stuff like this happening in it.

It's getting fixed tonight, by the way, new build is out.

Minor stuff like that usually doesn't get checked in until RC. You'll see issue like psuedo text until the second last build usually. I have been on early builds for 5 years and never really had an issue that stopped me using the console. If you can write a good bug report and enjoy early access I would just go for the early access program. More eyes on it the better.

The verge has more here.

Sooooooooooooooooo.........

I didn't take my own advice on this one, and because of issues with the current skip ahead build, the next one will include a factory refresh to fix it. Ah well.

https://twitter.com/WorkWombatman/status/1015790421857918976

My own fault for ignoring my own thoughts, but to be honest, I'm alright with it, I knew what I was signing up for. I actually enjoy the giving feedback and reporting issues part of the insider program, and was fully aware of what might happen with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

CatInABox wrote:
    I didn't take my own advice on this one, and because of issues with the current skip ahead build, the next one will include a factory refresh to fix it. Ah well.

At least it doesn't delete internal games and apps. That's not too bad so!

• Advertisement

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Yeah, and I think all your settings get backed up as well, so downtime is actually pretty minimal.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Yeah, factory refreshes on external rings tend to but just running through OOBE with all games intact and settings backed up.

FINALLY!

Shopping Cart is coming to Alpha/Skip Ahead, and Beta today.

https://twitter.com/WorkWombatman/status/1029432177459523584

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Oh My God I have never been so happy to see something added!
    Finally I dont have to go back and forth through the show for games I might be interested in buying!

More updates for Alpha and Skip Ahead, the highlights this time include an avatar shop (which has a free Xbox Insider t-shirt), and the ability to broadcast your dashboard through mixer, cutting out gaps in your stream while switching games.

Are wish lists in alpha yet?

Are wish lists in alpha yet?

Yes.

They're bringing Alexa and Cortana support to Xbox. Basically like the old Kinect, but through any device with Alexa or Cortana. Seeing as the Amazon Echo had much better technology for detecting your voice, this might actually be interesting.

Control-your-Xbox-with-Cortana-and-Alexa-hero.png

See here.

The November update has been released for the Alpha ring. It includes mouse and keyboard support for Warframe. I'll be interested in seeing how the developer implements it.

See here.

It's not available for Skip Ahead though, so I won't be able to test it out yet.

• Advertisement

FYI for anyone on the Alpha Insider ring:

https://twitter.com/WorkWombatman/status/1055571835280977920

https://twitter.com/WorkWombatman/status/1055572088365363200

Games installed from disc aren't working, the above is the workaround. Just thought I should let people know, it's not like people are going to be going to midnight launches of any games any time soon, right? Right?

Advertisement