Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One/360 Dashboard & Update Discussion (Retail/Beta/Preview Versions)

1676869707173»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

I got an update this morning and it looks like they have re-enabled the new style dash without the extra tabs.

Did anyone who had the new dashboard get switched back to the tabbed one after the latest update ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Did anyone who had the new dashboard get switched back to the tabbed one after the latest update ?

Yup, they swapped back.

https://twitter.com/WorkWombatman/status/1179894766764355584

Incredibly frustrating to go back to the old one now that we've had the new one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1181585977128538112

Rolling out the October update for everyone now.

Some nice under the hood kind of stuff in this one, like getting a notification if a game on your wishlist is on sale, recent players being fixed/improved, and an improvement to game updates so you shouldn't see "this game needs an update" as often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

2 versions of the new dash incoming for "some" of you Alpha's :)

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/10/17/exciting-things-coming-to-the-xbox-one-home-dashboard/

I have one, it's really nice similar to the last one but now it's got the store, community and mixer etc and scrolls vertically. Much better imo. Still needs a fair bit of work but I like it and it's snappy compared to the standard dash.

• Advertisement

I have one, it's really nice similar to the last one but now it's got the store, community and mixer etc and scrolls vertically. Much better imo. Still needs a fair bit of work but I like it and it's snappy compared to the standard dash.

After getting the new dash in the previous tests, I'm now in the control group :(

CatInABox wrote: »
    After getting the new dash in the previous tests, I'm now in the control group :(

Seems a bit redundant!
    They did say it was random though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Ok, so a weird thing happened tonight, I was in the last group that got the new dash but it reverted to the old one, once the testing cycle finished.

But tonight without an update I have a new variant of the dash board. The Home Experiment 4 dash.

I main Apps / Games icon on the dash and the 4 sub headings below it

Have the two versions on my launch and X consoles , definitely prefer the 4 buttons over the my games an apps only one. Still the entire second row is taken up with crap.

Playing Outer Worlds on PC with Gamepass and I have to say I like the game bar overlay in windows. Faster and more relevant to me than the xbox equivalent.

• Advertisement

Got a message there yesterday that I only noticed tonight.
    They are accepting some more Alpha's on a limited basis from people who expressed interest earlier in the year!

Which mean that finally, after 4.5 years in the program, I'm on the Alpha circle!
    Praise Jeebus :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I honestly don't know what Microsoft are doing with the UI for xbox. Its a complete and utter mess.
    I really wish they went back to the blade UI...far far cleaner and efficient.
    6 years people have been complaining about it and its farcical at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

In fairness, people always complain, and especially gamers, and especially especially about UI. I think they're listening to feedback too much, spending too much time analysing usage data, and they just need to go back to trusting their UI designers instincts. I don't want a return to the blades myself, but maybe its also time they allowed for a bit of layout customisation - give a few options for layout and let people choose. Imo the current non-beta version of the dash is as good as it's been. We're never going to get rid of dashboard advertising (although I'd like to see them allow you to remove it if you're paying for Gold) which will always make people annoyed, I think.

MJohnston wrote: »
    In fairness, people always complain, and especially gamers, and especially especially about UI. I think they're listening to feedback too much, spending too much time analysing usage data, and they just need to go back to trusting their UI designers instincts. I don't want a return to the blades myself, but maybe its also time they allowed for a bit of layout customisation - give a few options for layout and let people choose. Imo the current non-beta version of the dash is as good as it's been. We're never going to get rid of dashboard advertising (although I'd like to see them allow you to remove it if you're paying for Gold) which will always make people annoyed, I think.

I'd love if they allowed the type of customisation that something like Kodi offers. The standard skin is basic but feature complete for doing everything, and then people are able to code their own skins and extend the features offered by it, with the skins then being available on Microsofts app store.

I think that would be amazing.

Back on the "experimental dash" again. Looks no different to last time really.

Looking at it now having been back on the current one for a while it does look crap. It's confused at this stage. There are things there nobody wants to see and things you can get to by pressing the guide button. Like I don't need to see 2 of my pals are playing RDR2 followed by 2 ads next to it.

Finally, a bug bear of mine is getting fixed.
    With today’s update, we’re bringing you more ways to keep My Games & Apps organized! Users will now find:
    • Content grouping for easier navigation and access to your games and apps
    • Streamlined settings inside the app to simplify how you interact with your Collection
    • Labels for trials and demos

I've avoided Demos for the longest time because it cluttered my collection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

CatInABox wrote: »
    Finally, a bug bear of mine is getting fixed.

I've avoided Demos for the longest time because it cluttered my collection

I have tons of test games in my collection, I just remove them from the list.

I have tons of test games in my collection, I just remove them from the list.

As do I, but it's a faff that could be streamlined. Now, it'll be easier.

Some changes to My Games and Apps in this update, they've moved queue, all owned games, game pass and games with gold to a new Full Library section and updates into a manage section.

I'm not in the preview program and just got the new dash. Oh my how bad is this, it's like a really bad modded skin. Is there any way to bring back the previous dash? Is this going to be the dash for the series x?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm not in the preview program and just got the new dash. Oh my how bad is this, it's like a really bad modded skin. Is there any way to bring back the previous dash? Is this going to be the dash for the series x?

It's not too bad just tried it just now. Couple of days use and it will be normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I am loving it. Its much faster then the older UI and once you know where things are it is great.

Advertisement