Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

callans kicks

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The show last night was woeful. Pure amateurish drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

My favourite bit was the Burke's calendar 😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,712 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

You're admitting that Tubridy is a talentless no mark? Kind of contradicting your usual narrative on him there Doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I laughed a few times, the girl playing helen mcentee was great , it ran out of steam after half way

• Advertisement

• I’ve watched it twice now. Not everyone’s taste, but I enjoy Callan’s annual take on the year. (Lucy) living with the Burkes was funny, and for some moments I couldn’t tell the difference between the real Burkes or their comic versions.

He gets Leo’s voice off very well, and Michéal’s accent. Manages to look quite like Mary Lou.

Sometimes I would swear Oliver drew inspiration from all sorts of media, including Boards.

Nothing like a bit of comedy for a bit of light hearted viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Photobox

Watched it yesterday, thought it was quite funny, enjoyed the puppet Ryan Tubridy, the burkes sketches, and the woke tones was funny and spot on. Not a bad hours entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 newbilong

i listen to Callan's Kicks in New Zealand and joined this board just so i can express my enthusiasm for what i think is the best satire in the English-speaking world, despite not understanding half of what is going on in the shows. i've had to enlist a colleague from Cork to translate some of what is being said and who is saying it, and to explain cultural references. And what i'm learning makes me marvel even more at the depth and breadth of the satire.

In particular, i'm in awe at the way Callan uses regional accents and dialects to sketch character and generate humour and satire. not just regional dialects either: i'm in fits of laughter at Biden's clumsy faux-Irishness (which of course is not just about Biden, but about cultural misunderstandings by descendants of Irish), and at the way Callan uses cultural and linguistic errors by Flatley, Varadkar, etc to underscore how unrepresentative of Ireland they are.

This week's segment with the gardai arguing about fences was grand stuff. Callan made clever extended use of a silly, simple pun (fence, offence) and had wild fun with accents and Irishisms. I suspect there's a regional stereotype at play - the not-so-bright rural policeman - but i was fascinated by the use of Irish language in an English-language conversation. It sounds similar to the language change that's happening in New Zealand with the rapid growth of Maori words and phrases in NZ English, so for me there's more to this comedy than poking fun at stereotypes: it's a commentary on language and culture and how those are used in modern Ireland.

Compare Callan's Kicks to the tedious, plodding humour in the BBC's Dead Ringers, for example. Oliver Callan is a treasure and i hope he's appreciated in his home country.

Mosha mosha macushla. Whatever that means.

Advertisement