Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Market stall, health ad safety etc

Options
  • 08-07-2014 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

Just wondering what the legal requirements are for selling home made lamps (electrical, not candles) and also stuff like natural cleaning products are? I'm looking into trying to get a merket stall and there's a lot to figure out!

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Contact the local council who would be supplying your market traders licence and let them know what you are planning on selling and they will advise you on what legal requirements are needed. I would imagine that if you are making natural cleaning products they would need to get some sort of safety approval before you can sell them to make sure they aren't full of weird stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Home made electric lamps? You definitely need to check these out for safety reasons. Here is a bit of info. Its an eu thing so applies to ire as well. https://www.gov.uk/ce-marking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Thanks to both of you.

I a thinking of importing the cleaning products rather than making them but either way I appreciate those tips very much :)

Then I would imagine it will depend on whether they are imported from in the EU or not best to check to be sure don't want to get caught out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

I see the reason behing the rules and regulations but it's off putting if you are only planning to have a low quantity or a variety of things on sale and have to do a lot of research or even courses before you can even think about selling something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Rules and regulations can be a pain in the behind but generally they're there to protect you and your customers. If it was easy everyone would be at it so it's worth the effort to do a bit of research. Most of the information you need can be googled fairly quickly.

On the lights, it may be fine to make them up if the (electric) parts you use have the ce mark on them when you buy them. I see lots of craft lamp around and I doubt they had them individually tested or approved before selling them.

If your buying in the cleaning products then the manufacturer or wholesaler would have all you need at hand there. I would also imagine that what the product is made up from would be important to know when selling on the stall.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Good luck with it.

Its not for everything if it is something like a liquid product or an electrical product that if made poorly can injure people then its definitely needs to be regulated. If you want to sell a few notebooks and some mugs then all you need is the traders license I was approached to do an event coming up in Dublin soon and the team behind it said the license was around €60ish I seem to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

Just another line to check is farmer market org. (google them) they apparently provide advice on selling and if I remember correctly from somewhere they were providing a group insurance solution aswell.
    best of luck anyway

Advertisement