Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

poor internet connection Caherciveen, Kerry

Options
  • 08-07-2014 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi,

It seems to have some poor internet performance for the past week or so, in Caherciveen, co. Kerry. Modem in the same place at the door, restarted etc and on wire (not wireless).

Can you please check if there is anything in the area like the efibre upgrade (that should be implementing now by looking at the efibre map) that is impacting the general internet performance and reliability...

Thanks.

Pinging home.eircom.net [86.43.38.8] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=74ms TTL=58
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=1024ms TTL=58
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=123ms TTL=58
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=1462ms TTL=58
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=58
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=1190ms TTL=58
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=58
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=58
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=58

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

andy73 wrote: »
    Hi,

It seems to have some poor internet performance for the past week or so, in Caherciveen, co. Kerry. Modem in the same place at the door, restarted etc and on wire (not wireless).

Can you please check if there is anything in the area like the efibre upgrade (that should be implementing now by looking at the efibre map) that is impacting the general internet performance and reliability...

Thanks.

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi andy73[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]I understand high pings can be frustrating there is no guarantee or standard surrounding this ping results however if the speeds is slower than normal Please send me a PM including your eircom landline number & I'll run tests to see if there is any underlying issues which can be worked on.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]In direct relation to the ping issue - Ping is not really manageable or for a better word "tweakable". The only exceptions on managing ping are local problems like spyware or P2P programs hogging all the bandwidth & local interference between devices.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]
    To eliminate possible interference, try to put your modem/router far from all electrical devices and do not coil up any excess signal or power cables. If possible try our quick broadband check below :[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]The following may be helpful when troubleshooting slow speeds and high ping rates:[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Not all of these steps may be necessary. Test your connection after each step to see if the issue is resolved.[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif]Disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Test the connection speed again.[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif]Connect one computer device to your modem when testing your speed.[/font]
    [*]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Are you connecting wirelessly?[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif]If you are using wireless to connect to the Internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow Ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif]Disable or exit your anti-virus programme or firewall(s) while testing your speed[/font]
    [*]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Are you using streaming, file-sharing or Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software?[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif]These programs download content in the background, even when minimised. Exit the software completely to ensure it does not affect the speed.[/font]
    [*]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Have you scanned your computer for Spyware?[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif]Spyware and viruses can interfere with Internet connection, making it slow and/or unreliable.[/font]
    [*]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]If you still have problems with your connection after performing the above steps you need to contact eircom support department for further assistance.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Are you downloading files while running / testing your Broadband speed? If so, this will dramatically reduce speedtest results.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] · [/font][font=Times New Roman","serif]        In many cases where you experience poor results from a speedtest, this can often be attributed to other activity on your PC or another PC/device in the house. In many of these instances there is peer-to-peer (Torrent, Limewire etc) activity downloading/uploading files to/from your PC. This kind of activity can adversely impact your Broadband speed. If you are running a speedtest please ensure that none of the devices connected to your router are downloading/uploading files[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] ·         Speedtests can be run on the following link: www.eircom.net/speedtest[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] Are there other devices using your modem or working off the WiFi connection while running a speedtest? If so, this can dramatically reduce speedtest results.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]·  [/font][font=Times New Roman","serif]       In many cases, if there are other users browsing, streaming etc from another device on your Broadband connection. This will reduce the results from a Speedtest.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]· [/font][font=Times New Roman","serif]        Your connection should be free of all other users when attempting a speedtest for accurate results.[/font]
    In some cases you may find that changing the interleaving on your broadband connection may help improve your ping times[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]To do this, contact eircom Broadband Support, who may be able to assist you with this.[/font]
    Not all of the above steps may be necessary. Test your connection after each step to see if the issue is resolved.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Al[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭neasyerac

Hi,

It seems to have some poor internet performance for the past week or so, in Carcinogen, co. Kerry. Modem in the same place at the door, restarted etc and on wire (not wireless).

Thanks.

I'm living near milltown, kerry and my speed's have dropped horrendously also andy73. It was kinda reliable before this but now it's just unusable most of the time. Hovering around .60mbs to 1.5mbs at the moment.  No point complaining cause all you will get is ''All eircom broadband packages are provided on the terms of 'up to' the advertised and supplied speeds''. 

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭andy73

Hi Al,

Many thanks for the reply, I'm a Software Engineer and very good with IT in general, I might say, so I have done some investigation before posting this. Is nothing changed on the modem configuration, is away from any electrical interference, nothing on wireless and nearly nothing on the download / upload side in the house. The only thing I did is running now with a filter on (I had none in the previous tests) but it does not seems to make any difference.

It is just sporadically and ping is a good way to see that it is a problem. When I get packets losts etc in my VPN connection to work I can see that ping times to eircom servers (and any other server like google.ie) are going very high...

I will PM you the details you have requested, many thanks for looking into that.

Regards,
    Adrian

Hi Al,

Many thanks for the reply, I'm a Software Engineer and very good with IT in general, I might say, so I have done some investigation before posting this. Is nothing changed on the modem configuration, is away from any electrical interference, nothing on wireless and nearly nothing on the download / upload side in the house. The only thing I did is running now with a filter on (I had none in the previous tests) but it does not seems to make any difference.

It is just sporadically and ping is a good way to see that it is a problem. When I get packets losts etc in my VPN connection to work I can see that ping times to eircom servers (and any other server like google.ie) are going very high...

I will PM you the details you have requested, many thanks for looking into that.

Regards,
    Adrian
    Hi andy73

Thanks, I'll look in to this and check for any issues creating this.

Al

Hi Al,

My current profile is as below and I have raised that though support and it was unstable at first but then it stabilized.

Can you please lower my download speed to the next lower level and I hope this will fix my instability issue. It will be great if you can keep the upload speed the same.

Thanks,
    Adrian

Speed:
    15360 kbps/765 kbps

Line Attenuation(Down/Up):
    20.3 dB/ 10.6 dB

DSL Noise Margin:
    13.3 dB/ 17.8 dB

• Advertisement

Hi Al,

My current profile is as below and I have raised that though support and it was unstable at first but then it stabilized.

Can you please lower my download speed to the next lower level and I hope this will fix my instability issue. It will be great if you can keep the upload speed the same.

Thanks,
    Adrian

Speed:
    15360 kbps/765 kbps

Line Attenuation(Down/Up):
    20.3 dB/ 10.6 dB

DSL Noise Margin:
    13.3 dB/ 17.8 dB

Hi andy73

Just to clarify - you want your speeds decreased? - Is that correct?

Thanks
    Al

Hi Al,

Thanks,Just to clarify - you want your speeds decreased? - Is that correct?

Thanks
    Al

that is correct. Whatever is the next lower profile. 

Hi Al,

Thanks,Just to clarify - you want your speeds decreased? - Is that correct?

Thanks
    Al

that is correct. Whatever is the next lower profile. 
    No worries andy73

I'll update you when it's lowered

Al

Hi Alan,

Any update?

Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

Hi Alan,

Any update?

Many thanks.
    Hi Andy73

Al is on leave until next Tuesday. I am pretty sure Al sent this off to Tech Support requesting the speed adjustment but I cannot follow up with them as I don't have your account details. Please PM me the account no or Phone no and I will check with Tech Support that this adjustment has been done or about to be done. (Apologies as I know you probably already PM'ed these to Al but I can't access his PM's right now.

thanks
    Colm

• Advertisement

Hi Alan,

Any update?

Many thanks.
    Hi Andy73

Al is on leave until next Tuesday. I am pretty sure Al sent this off to Tech Support requesting the speed adjustment but I cannot follow up with them as I don't have your account details. Please PM me the account no or Phone no and I will check with Tech Support that this adjustment has been done or about to be done. (Apologies as I know you probably already PM'ed these to Al but I can't access his PM's right now.

thanks
    Colm
    thanks Colm, PM done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

Hi Alan,

Any update?

Many thanks.
    Hi Andy73

thanks
    Colm
    thanks Colm, PM done.
    Hi Andy, replied to your PM yesterday.

regards
    Colm

Thanks Colm, yes speed is now the way it was before so hope that stability is back. Will let you know if any problem

Thanks Colm, yes speed is now the way it was before so hope that stability is back. Will let you know if any problem

Hi andy73

Apologies for the delays - I'm back today though :)

I did send this off but apologies that it was not followed up on until Colm escalated it. Glad to see things are back to normal.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement