Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Holiday rental

Options
  • 08-07-2014 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some advice on house renting in the New York area or suburbs.

My family are planning a family getaway for my fathers 60th next year (May), we are hoping to all meet in New York for a couple of weeks and rent a large house that will sleep circa 12 people.

I'm finding it hard to get good results so I'm wondering if anyone has been through a similar scenario and can point me in the right direction.

Cheers,
    Skeg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

In New York State (particularly upstate) there are a lot of houses/cabins that sleep that many people that can be rented.

In New York City, one of the most densely populated, highest occupancy rates city, highest price per square food...an apartment that sleeps 12 would be almost impossible for 99% to afford, far less to have free for vacation rental. (a 2 bedroom apartment on Manhattan averages out around $3-4000/month) For 12 people, you're looking at a 4 or 5 bedroom apartment which are few and far between in most cities in the US (as there are certain laws about how many people per square foot/bathroom/living space)

I think the best thing you could do is get a collection of 3 or 4 apartments in the same neighborhood so you'd at least be close.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

In New York State (particularly upstate) there are a lot of houses/cabins that sleep that many people that can be rented.

In New York City, one of the most densely populated, highest occupancy rates city, highest price per square food...an apartment that sleeps 12 would be almost impossible for 99% to afford, far less to have free for vacation rental. (a 2 bedroom apartment on Manhattan averages out around $3-4000/month) For 12 people, you're looking at a 4 or 5 bedroom apartment which are few and far between in most cities in the US (as there are certain laws about how many people per square foot/bathroom/living space)

I think the best thing you could do is get a collection of 3 or 4 apartments in the same neighborhood so you'd at least be close.

Thanks for the reply, I understand my chances are slim and most accommodation available will cost a bomb but I need to keep digging, I have plenty of time :)

Do you have any preferred websites you personally use?? Links??

Unfortunately not with NY..but when I got a similar sized property in Barcelona...it cost around 600 Euro a night for 12 people (to put it in perspective of costs

Homeaway.com is not bad - I had a quick look and they have places in Queens that could fit - it isn't manhattan but is pretty close

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

What iusedtoknow said is all true - there is practically zero inventory here that will fit your needs. The sites that have the most inventory for short term rentals in nyc are airbnb, craigslist and homeaway. A quick search of airbnb came up with the listing below. It's in a decent part of Brooklyn, about 20 mins from the city by train. It looks like a nice place but you're paying over $1,000 a night. For less money you could find two beautiful apartments close to each other in Manhattan (e.g. Soho, West Village) which would sleep 6 person each.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1056256?checkin=08%2F16%2F2014&checkout=08%2F23%2F2014&guests=12&s=Sc9_

EDIT: I also found this one, an entire townhouse in a nice part of the West Village which would probably work well for you if you can get it. $1,300 a night. It's probably a bit early to book any accomodation for next May though as most people aren't willing to commit that far in advance.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/273190?checkin=10%2F11%2F2014&checkout=10%2F25%2F2014&guests=6&s=adXY

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

Thanks guys, this is a starting point. Now all I need to do is get cheaper prices....$1,300 a night is way too expensive, I'm not sh1ting money :pac:

• Advertisement

skeg16 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, this is a starting point. Now all I need to do is get cheaper prices....$1,300 a night is way too expensive, I'm not sh1ting money :pac:

surely you wouldn't be paying the whole thing yourself though

that works out at just over 100 a person which for NY is a bargain...

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

VRBO is a great website (vacation rental by owner)

Just for kicks I plugged in Westport CT-its about an hour from Grand Central, but theres plenty to do out there too

http://www.vrbo.com/507749

Brooklyn

http://www.vrbo.com/506394

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Have you tried Radio City Apartments? They sleep up to 5 in each, might be a compromise for you. Great location.

Advertisement