Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Colleges?

• 08-07-2014 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi just in regards to when I get my leaving cert results, if I get the course I wanted in Galway and not Cork where I preferred, can I complete a year in Galway and then transfer to UCC?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It depends on a lot of factors. It depends on whether the two courses are essentially the same. It depends on whether there is room in the other course. It depends on whether you are making the grade in your current course, otherwise you would be looking to be accepted into the other college on lower points and everyone would be chancing their arm if that was the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Normally, if you wish to transfer, one of the basic requirements is that you must have obtained the points for the course you are applying to transfer into in the first place; otherwise, as RBT pointed out, everyone would be using certain courses as a backdoor.

I'm not sure if all colleges are as rigorous in applying that rule though (the universities stick to it pretty strictly in my experience, certainly); and you *might* have a very slim chance of making a case for yourself if you could show that your first year results were very good, and perhaps that there were other personal circumstances involved which would make Cork more suitable; a nod from Galway re: support for your transfer application would also help.

But any such cases would be very much the exception tbh.

If, on the other hand, you had the points for Cork anyway but had simply changed your mind after the Change of Mind closed as to which college you preferred, at least one major stumbling block would be out of your way, and we're down to comparability of courses / first year modules, etc. ... the points RBT mentioned in fact. Far from automatic, but still a far better chance.

Advertisement