Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner off-road trails in Dublin

• 08-07-2014 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭

So I want to start building my skill level up for off-road and mountain biking. My goal is I want to do some enduro once my skill and fitness is good enough.

Where's the best spot to practice off-road/XC/hill biking etc? I don't really fancy going to somewhere like Ticknock or Wicklow until I'm atleast accomplished on my new bike.

I've heard Pheonix Park and Howth have some decent small trails, but I'm at a loss to where these actually are, where they start etc. Can't find anything online regarding trail layouts etc.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Phoenix Park - around the magazine fort, khyber pass, along the wall beside the hospital to the main road. Loads of trails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

There's nothing official in the Phoenix Park, but traveling anti-clockwise, after Garda HQ, you can follow the path alongside the wall. There are also a few trails around the Magazine Fort, and in through the trees in a few other spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

The beginner and small loop in Ballinastoe aren't that difficult.

Really though if you can get out with some other (more experienced) people, it will bring you on leaps and bounds.

Most of the clubs run beginner spins - try and get on one of them. Unfortunately its the wrong time of the year though :/ they're usually at the start/end of the year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Only problem with Ballinstoe is it's very far from me (city centre). I just want somewhere where I can practice every other evening.

Is there anything in St. Annes park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I know there's the BMX track in St Anne's Park. I wouldn't fancy that myself, but there's plenty of unofficial offroading in St Anne's park you could try out maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

There are no official/sanctioned trails in any of the parks or Howth Summit...You'll find a few joggers paths around the Phoenix park though nothing remotely challenging.. St. Anne's would not be recommended as it's always busy with dog walkers etc, and there isn't much there that would not take more than 10mins to pedal around..

Although If you go to Howth for example the cliff walk is fun, but maybe not if you are a bit wobbly on the bike, due to the steep drop...

Ticknock should take you no more than an hour or so to get to and is the best place to learn..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

.ak wrote: »
    Only problem with Ballinstoe is it's very far from me (city centre). I just want somewhere where I can practice every other evening.

Is there anything in St. Annes park?

There is, a bit more challenging then Phoenix Park if you do the drop offs, but best to have a look out person for those. It is quiet if you go early on, cross course is around 2km. There's a route around Tymon Park too, but it's more suited to cyclocross, ie. mainly grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Richie from Giant bikes Dublin has been running beginner sessions during the last 3 months.

Might be an idea

https://www.facebook.com/littlegiantsdublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Richie from Giant bikes Dublin has been running beginner sessions during the last 3 months.

Might be an idea

https://www.facebook.com/littlegiantsdublin

"Little Giants" is for kids not adults..

Check out MAD: http://madmtb.com/v2_0/?page_id=24

And EPIC MTB: http://epicmtb.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭columbus_66

The best time to go to any parks in Dublin is off peak hours or when it's raining. You can have the whole park to yourself when it's raining! Off Peak hours could be 9am or 8pm depending on light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

The trails in Ballinastoe would be suitable for any level. I brought my brother-in-law there a few weeks ago. He'd never been mountain biking in his life, and we did the full loop at a handy pace. Really is the best place to learn in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

This is prob a stupid question but is there maps of the actual trails on strava or anything. Getting to the start of a trail is one thing, but following the trail could be a whole other disaster altogether :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

If you are prepared to walk a few steps you can almost do a full lap of Howth off road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Raam wrote: »
    If you are prepared to walk a few steps you can almost do a full lap of Howth off road.

Hold on. By a few, you actually mean at least 100 including going down onto the beach!

Advertisement