Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Native fish?

Options
  • 08-07-2014 12:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to try something different for my tank...something like Perch or Eels in a coldwater set-up.

Anybody know where i'd get some fish like this?(short of catching them myself!)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It is illegal to be in posession of European eels (Anguilla anguilla), but I'd imagine that even if you were allowed have them, keeping a migratory species of wild fish would be inhumane and not very successful.
    It is also illegal to take live roach from the waters in which they were caught.
    Perch don't seem to take to captivity in a tank terribly well either, from what I've seen.
    Being in possession of any more than 4 coarse fish is also illegal, and those 4 must be under 25cm in length.
    So, if you want to keep things simple, that probably leaves you with stickleback, minnow, stone loach or gudgeon!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Thnks for the info...sticklebacks are actually good fun..we kept them in a tank in school.

The male had a red belly and would go crazy if anybody wearing red came into the room!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

chopper6 wrote: »
    Thnks for the info...sticklebacks are actually good fun..we kept them in a tank in school.

The male had a red belly and would go crazy if anybody wearing red came into the room!

Oh you have brought back memories!

I attempted to keep Perch in my younger years. It didn't end well for either the Sticklebacks in with them or the Perch.

White Cloud Mountain Minnow although not native are great fun to watch if you keep a shoal. The males display to each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Saw a thread on one of the fish forums where someone set up a native salt water tank. It was fantastic to see the variety of fish that he got rock pooling on the west coast.

Advertisement