Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Saving account

Options
  • 08-07-2014 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am looking to open a savings account for my goddaughter so that I can lodge money on her birthday, christmas etc and then give it to her when she is 18. So far, I have only found bank accounts which require the parents to physically open the account. (It's suppose to be a gift so i dont want to make the parents work for it)

Is anyone aware of an account which allows the godparent to jointly open the account with the child? If not, has anyone been in a similar situation and what have you done?

Alternative ideas are v welcome!!

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

It's all covered by Moey Laundering Legislation.

Unless you can prove that you are related to the child, you wil have a tough job.

Open an account in your own name.
    When the time comes, hand over the proceeds.
    You control the gift and in the unlikely event of a family estrangement, it will not fall into someone else's hands or control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Frances01

Thank you Billgirlylegs.

I think that I will end up going down that route.
    Asking the parents to go into the bank just takes the goodness out of the gift.

Thanks again!

Advertisement