Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

current account balance updates irregularly

Options
  • 08-07-2014 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

sometimes I use my debit card in a shop(physical and web) and the online 365 page shows the deduction immediately, other times its 3-4 days later. its unreliable and Im being hit with surcharges when I go below 0 by a couple of euros. this seems unfair, its not my problem the system updates inconsistently.

EG: yesterday I used some coins and my card to pay for groceries in tesco, I used the card to pay circa 2euro(cant recall exact amount), my balance now shows -2.48. before I went to tesco it was +9euro, I still have cash and would have used it instead of my card if I had known I was already near 0, this card shouldnt allow transactions if my balance is empty,
     if it does allow them but then punishes me with a fine then something is seriously wrong with this 'service'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi kumate_champ07

Thank you for your post today.

We're sorry to hear you are having difficulties with reading the balance on your bank account.

Just to mention, when you are using your Visa Debit Card, the transaction should always be seen coming from your account straight away. Once it's fully processed by the retailer, a narrative will update on the transaction from 'Debit Card' to the retailer/business name for you. This usually takes 3-5 working days. 

To best help with your query, we would ask you to contact Bank of Ireland 365 and allow a colleague to have a look at the account for you. Our contact numbers are 0818 365 365 / 00353 140 44000 and are available Monday-Friday 8am-12 midnight, Saturday,Sunday & Bank Holidays 9am-6pm.

As a Visa Debit Card can overdraw an account, we would certainly recommend the above, a colleague will go through this in detail on the phone with you.

Thanks
    Alison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Hi kumate_champ07

Thank you for your post today.

We're sorry to hear you are having difficulties with reading the balance on your bank account.

Just to mention, when you are using your Visa Debit Card, the transaction should always be seen coming from your account straight away. Once it's fully processed by the retailer, a narrative will update on the transaction from 'Debit Card' to the retailer/business name for you. This usually takes 3-5 working days. 

To best help with your query, we would ask you to contact Bank of Ireland 365 and allow a colleague to have a look at the account for you. Our contact numbers are 0818 365 365 / 00353 140 44000 and are available Monday-Friday 8am-12 midnight, Saturday,Sunday & Bank Holidays 9am-6pm.

As a Visa Debit Card can overdraw an account, we would certainly recommend the above, a colleague will go through this in detail on the phone with you.

Thanks
    Alison
    I presumed I could get help here rather than call a number I was already aware of

I made an order with Farnell a few weeks ago , it was a 24hr delivery but the money was deducted 5 days later in 3 parts, I was charged multiple 10euro overlimit fees. 

this week I have used my card in the usual places and banking365 seems to have updated immediately with the correct balance. it seems BOI likes to have an all elctronic system that is 'rigged' to screw the customer, there is no excuse except greed, I see profits this year are huge.  I really hope banks wont always have it this easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi kumate_champ07, 

Thanks for your post. 

We would advise contacting the company who can advise why your transaction was processed in three parts. We would have no control over the amount of time a retailer takes to process a transaction. Bank of Ireland 365 Online will update with transactions when they have been fully processed. 

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Why do transactions appear and then disappear from an account only to reappear another time a day or so later. It can happen quote regularly, especially over the bank holiday weekends, I spend 20e in tescos it appears on my account straight away, then by Tuesday there was no sign of it, but on weds it was back in.

I myself keep track of why I spend in my head but some may just solely use 365 to keep track and I can see why this can be frustrating. Even if 365 could have a pending transaction section available like aib it would prove to be invaluable.

The above does not just happen to my account, friends and Family have stated the same.

Sirsok wrote: »
    Why do transactions appear and then disappear from an account only to reappear another time a day or so later. It can happen quote regularly, especially over the bank holiday weekends, I spend 20e in tescos it appears on my account straight away, then by Tuesday there was no sign of it, but on weds it was back in.

I myself keep track of why I spend in my head but some may just solely use 365 to keep track and I can see why this can be frustrating. Even if 365 could have a pending transaction section available like aib it would prove to be invaluable.

The above does not just happen to my account, friends and Family have stated the same.
    Ive noticed that too, also sometimes ATM withdrawals dont show up online, even ATM's@BOI branches!

they phased out ATM cards and now customers have 'debit cards', I dont think Im being cynical by thinking they have no problem leaving things as they are since it means more profits for them, even if the cost of fines cant be justified by the actual cost of the procedures involved with debit cards/electronic banking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Sirsok wrote: »

Hi Sirsok, 

Many thanks for your post.

If you would like to call Bank of Ireland 365 on 0818 365 365 / + 353 1 4044000, a representative will be happy to take a look at your account and offer assistance with any questions you have on your transaction history. Representative assisted hours are 8am - 12midnight Mon - Fri and 9am - 6pm Sat. Sun and Bank/Public Holidays. 

Thanks

Billy

Hi kumate_champ07, 

Thanks for your post. 

We would advise contacting the company who can advise why your transaction was processed in three parts. We would have no control over the amount of time a retailer takes to process a transaction. Bank of Ireland 365 Online will update with transactions when they have been fully processed. 

Thanks

Billy
    but you do have control of when you can update my account balance, why is there such a long delay?

I used my card last on friday 8th in lidl, I spent 3euro and my 365 balance said I had 3.30, now my balance says -1.70, so am I to be charged another 10euro fine?

can this be dealt without without giving me a phone number to call and have to start all over again?

Hi Sirsok, 

Many thanks for your post.

If you would like to call Bank of Ireland 365 on 0818 365 365 / + 353 1 4044000, a representative will be happy to take a look at your account and offer assistance with any questions you have on your transaction history. Representative assisted hours are 8am - 12midnight Mon - Fri and 9am - 6pm Sat. Sun and Bank/Public Holidays. 

Thanks

Billy

I have rang 365, they could not really elaborate further, I was told it depends on when the merchant processes the payment, but I asked why it originally showed (indicating the terminal sent a request to debit account, even though it has not been confirmed) and then disappeared only to reappear, may I ask what info you thought they could have provided me with?

Sorry if it seems like I'm being problematic but I genuinely would live a answer to this. Considering people taking the phone calls must get hundreds of different type of calls a day varying in their nature I may have caught the agent somewhat off guard, so could you please respond with a reason why this happens instead of providing me with some mandatory scripting and fobbing me off to another department. It is not an account specific question, just a general query,

I understand if it is something you do not know the answer to but please tell me to rather then telling me to contact another department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Paula C

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Hi,[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Thanks for contacting us again.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Once a transaction has been processed by the retailer your balance will reflect this. [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]With regards to transactions disappearing from your account, this is down to how the transaction is processed by the retailer. With some transactions the retailer can process the payment immediately to ensure there are sufficient funds in the account and then complete the processing of all their payments in larger batches some time later. [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]This can result in transactions disappearing and then reappearing a couple of days later. Regrettably this is outside of our control and is down to how a retailer processes transactions.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Should you wish to query any specific transactions on your account we would urge you to contact our BOI365 Team on above number or alternatively please submit this request via the Online Service Desk which is available to our BOI365 Online customers. Again a representative through either of these channels will be more than happy to query this for you.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]I hope this clarifies this for you, if we can offer any further assistance please let us know.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Paula C[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Hi,[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Thanks for contacting us again.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Once a transaction has been processed by the retailer your balance will reflect this. [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]With regards to transactions disappearing from your account, this is down to how the transaction is processed by the retailer. With some transactions the retailer can process the payment immediately to ensure there are sufficient funds in the account and then complete the processing of all their payments in larger batches some time later. [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]This can result in transactions disappearing and then reappearing a couple of days later. Regrettably this is outside of our control and is down to how a retailer processes transactions.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Should you wish to query any specific transactions on your account we would urge you to contact our BOI365 Team on above number or alternatively please submit this request via the Online Service Desk which is available to our BOI365 Online customers. Again a representative through either of these channels will be more than happy to query this for you.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]I hope this clarifies this for you, if we can offer any further assistance please let us know.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Paula C[/font]

Thank you very much Paula , I appreciate that response, very well thought out! Thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement