Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argentina vrs Netherlands, World Cup Semi-Final , 9/7/2014 , 9.00pm

• 08-07-2014 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭

Arena Corinthians, São Paulo

Possible Argentina XI

01 Romero
    04 Zabaleta
    23 Basanta
    14 Mascherano
    15 Demichelis
    02 Garay
    08 Perez
    06 Biglia
    09 Higuain
    10 Messi
    20 Aguero

Possible Netherlands XI

01 Cillessen
    15 Kuyt
    05 Blind
    04 Martins
    02 Vlaar
    03 de Vrij
    20 Wijnaldum
    10 Sneijder
    09 van Persie
    11 Robben
    21 Depay

ODDS…

Netherlands to win: 12/5

Argentina to win: 6/4

Draw: 11/5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Di Maria is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Not much to separate both teams so far, think if Messi is in full flight he could make the difference. If Robben Sneijder and RVP click tonight I fancy the dutch, but so far their interplay hasn't been quiet there. Exciting prospect and setup to be one of the games of the tournament.

Edit: Just seen above Di Maria is out, tilt slides slightly in the Dutchies favor for me so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Di Maria is out.

I can't believe how I often I confuse him and Higuain. Fixed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As much as I would love Messi to lift the trophy, I think I have to go for Holland in this one.

If they don't win it, I'll plump for The Netherlands;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Argentina to win with an error from the Dutch goalkeeper.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Argentina 2-1.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

SSN tweeting RVP might be a doubt with a stomach problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Both teams haven't been very impressive, I think Holland have had the tougher run

Argentina have the players to beat Holland, it's just a matter of them showing up and giving a good performance. Holland will sit back and try hit them on the break

Germany should beat both of these anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Really gunning for Argentina here...Di Maria missing is massive but so is Van Persie if that's true.... Reports saying Aguero is fit to play which is big big news, hoping he holds up as a City fan and just for the fact he's had shocking luck with injuries this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Heres to the Dutch and Robben, Messi is carrying Argentina and they do not deserve to get to the final on their lack-lustre performances thus far. Germany V Holland for the final and it will be great to see the South American quietened in their own continent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,751 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

nuxxx wrote: »
    think if Messi is in full flight he could make the difference

It came to nothing but that Messi pass in the QF was probably one of the best I've ever seen. Best player in the world? He probably is. I'm hoping for a Holland win though and a revenge for the final from 40 years ago when Germany beat Holland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

Clearly going to be 8-0. The great one wont want to be upstaged. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The Dutch to lock Messi out of the game and set up an all European final.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

As much as I've enjoyed watching Holland and Germany take lumps out of each other in the past , I'd like Argentina to win because I reckon it'll make a better final . Hopefully more of a WC '86 than a '90 game though . The less said about '90 the better .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I'm hoping dutch negativity gets the chop tonight with n early argentina goal. Its about the only hope we have of not seeing 9 orange shirts behind the ball at every opportunity.

Come on the Argentina

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Argentina need Higuain to keep up the form from the last game and improve on it to have a chance imo. The Dutch have looked a much more complete team for me and it seems more likely that LVG will find the right combination for Robben and his side-kicks to do damage then that Sabella will do enough with Messi and his.

I got Netherlands to qualify at 2.25 which I'm very happy with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

derm0j073 wrote: »
    As much as I've enjoyed watching Holland and Germany take lumps out of each other in the past , I'd like Argentina to win because I reckon it'll make a better final . Hopefully more of a WC '86 than a '90 game though . The less said about '90 the better .

1990 was terrible but I'll never forgive the Dutch for ruining the 2010 final by deliberately setting out to destroy it as a game by kicking lumps out of the Spanish. For that reason alone I want to see Holland lose tonight although I must admit to also foaming at the mouth of a potential Brazil vs Argentina 3rd place play off if Holland do beat Argentina tonight.

If Argentina end up in a 3rd place play off vs a Brazil team with no Neymar and no Thiago Silva and who have just been trounced 7-1 then they'll be thinking they have an opportunity to create history here and go out and absolutely humiliate their biggest rivals in on their home soil.

If the 3rd place play off is Brazil Vs Argentina it's could go down as one of the most exciting play offs in WC history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I'd like Holland to win, for no other reason than to see Brazil v Argentina in the 3rd/ place play off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Slattsy wrote: »
    I'd like Holland to win, for no other reason than to see Brazil v Argentina in the 3rd/ place play off :D

Germany v Netherlands is a massive rivalry too.

Must be tough for Brazil looking on tonight....Argentina win, and they have a shot at glory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭TheNumpty

My heart wants Argentina to win but i think the better final will be Germany v Holland. There's far more of a rivalry between the 2 European teams not only in football terms but historically too.

• Advertisement

I think Holland have had the tougher run

tumblr_m2s0wjgXqk1rna58d.gif

Really? :confused:

I don't know how that's a confusing statement

The best team Argentina played were Belgium and they were poor in every game but managed to be a little less poor than the opposition.

Holland have had the tougher run IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I can see Argentina looking like they're in control for large parts of the game with the Dutch sitting back and absorbing pressure before punishing them on the counter at some point and then holding on to a slim lead. I don't foresee any major fireworks or a particularly good game. This from someone who has supported the Dutch any time Ireland haven't been at the World Cup (most of the World Cups in my life).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Hope Argentina win otherwise the final is going to be a shocking game

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I don't know how that's a confusing statement

The best team Argentina played were Belgium and they were poor in every game but managed to be a little less poor than the opposition.

Holland have had the tougher run IMO

Totally agree holland have had it tougher I didn't think they would even make it out of their group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Muahahaha wrote: »

If Argentina end up in a 3rd place play off vs a Brazil team with no Neymar and no Thiago Silva and who have just been trounced 7-1 then they'll be thinking they have an opportunity to create history here and go out and absolutely humiliate their biggest rivals in on their home soil.

If the 3rd place play off is Brazil Vs Argentina it's could go down as one of the most exciting play offs in WC history.

Thiago Silva will be back for the 3rd place game - 1 game suspension served. Brazil won't be as leaky with him there.

Totally agree holland have had it tougher I didn't think they would even make it out of their group.

I said it before the World Cup that quarters would be a great achievement for this holland squad, they aren't a vintage Holland team at all, losing Strootman was a big blow and I think Holland would have played better football with him in the team but Van Gaal is doing whatever it takes to win now

The players are doing their jobs and Van Gaal has got it spot on in every game so far, I think Messi should be the difference tonight though unless Van Gaal and the lads have a blinder

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Iang87 wrote: »
    I'm hoping dutch negativity gets the chop tonight with n early argentina goal. Its about the only hope we have of not seeing 9 orange shirts behind the ball at every opportunity.

Come on the Argentina

Too right. Such negative play. Only 12 goals in fairness!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Stupid I know but I can't get a 3-2 scoreline out of my head all week ,
    but I don't have a clue to which team ,
    so did both at 33/1 and 35/1

A fool and his money etc etc etc...

• Advertisement

The Dutch may be a bit negative at times, Mexico first half springs to mind, but not Chelsea like negative

They were top scorers until the German rout yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If it's a Holland Germany final it has the hallmarks of an ill tempered affair with it being decided by an Arjen Robben dive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Any news on RVP yet?

I'm hoping for an Arg win. Genuinely want to see Messi lift the trophy.

Also hoping that Agueros tournament starts proper tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hopefully Sabella can use his managerial skills to get a performance from his Argentinian journeymen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If it's a Holland Germany final it has the hallmarks of an ill tempered affair with it being decided by an Arjen Robben dive

A friend just had a small wager on Robben getting booked for diving 9/1 ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I think Netherlands will win this one; Van Gaal has it sussed imo.

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »
    I think Netherlands will win this one; Van Gaal has it sussed imo.

It's one thing to suss and another to stop Messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Have a sizeable bet on Germany since before the tournament started and have Argentina in the sweepstakes at work so an Argentina win here would be absolutely perfect for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Messi is two wins away from being crowned the greatest of all time and he only just turned 27.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Messi is two wins away from being crowned the greatest of all time and he only just turned 27.

He'll never be as successful as Kevin Kilbane.

eagle eye wrote: »

Is Messi not the greatest player ever whether he wins a world cup or not?

• Advertisement

RVP two games away from being the undisputed greatest striker of the last 4 years..and he might not even play today

RVP two games away from being the undisputed greatest striker of the last 4 years..and he might not even play today

Undisputed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'm torn on this one.

looking at it from the German angle, as I see it, Argentina would be the easier opponent.
    Against the Dutch things could get tough, they are the better team than Argentina. Maybe or maybe not better than Germany but better than Argentina anyway.
    They did to Spain exactly what Germany did to Brazil last night, lets not forget that.

But of course getting the Dutch would be just epic.

Regardless of what I wish for Germany I'd say the Dutch should have this one unless Messi goes crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

C'mon Netherlandssssssshhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Does RVP start?

#NED XI v #ARG: Cillessen; Kuijt, De Vrij, Vlaar, Martins Indi, Blind; De Jong, Sneijder, Wijnaldum; Robben, van Persie.

532 with Kuyt playing RB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Argentina: Romero; Zabaleta, Demichelis, Garay, Rojo; Enzo Perez, Biglia, Mascherano; Lavezzi, Messi, Higuain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

De Jong back in is great news for the Dutch. Argentina probably should win but Netherlands have been set up better throughout this tournament. Still think Messi will be the difference but I'd expect Germany to beat either of these teams in the final.

Also van Persie has been shattered since the group stages and his performances have been poor since as a result. Can't see him lasting 90 minutes here.

Is it blue/white and orange kits or will one team have to go with the dark kit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Think Robben will give the full backs a tough time tonight. None of them have looked good this tournament, even Zabaleta. Argentinia overall haven't been fluid at all. It says a lot when the commentators noted the first half against Belgium was their best half performance wise and it was effective while being not great.

Fancy the Dutch to out-tactic them. That might not be a word.

• Advertisement
Advertisement