Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argentina vrs Netherlands, World Cup Semi-Final , 9/7/2014 , 9.00pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The Huntelaar sub didn't work, he had no impact at all and Cillisen was particularly poor at penalties, if the praise for Van Gaal was overwhelming against Costa Rica then perhaps there should be criticism here.

I also will say that the negative football like we saw tonight played its part in Van Gaals time at Barcelona ending. He's a talented tactician and a great character but that lack of dogmatic attachment to total football is what separates him from Cruyff or Guardiola.

Messi has a date with destiny on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

Argentina in the final is a right kick in the ballsack for Brazil .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

You don't let someone like Vlaar take your first f*cking penalty. His miss took a tonne of pressure off Messi.

Seemed a strange decision alright. Even give your first one to Kuyt who hardly ever misses a pen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Paully D wrote: »
    Cillessen was hopeless for the shootout, absolutely hopeless.

Bit harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

You don't let someone like Vlaar take your first f*cking penalty. His miss took a tonne of pressure off Messi.

Agree. Feared the worst when I saw him taking the first. Better to get early ones in and release a bit of pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Victory for football, Sabella rallies his journeymen and he delivers a giant slaying performance against Man United Holland Van Gaal.

Dutch peaked first game

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

worst game of tourney, hope the gerries win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Who is the other keeper that dunphy is on about?

I presume he's on about Caballero who is gone to City but not in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Elegant Elliot Offen

GЯEAT SUCCESS !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

worst game of tourney, hope the gerries win

worst game was Nigeria and Iran..how can anyone forget that one :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

nullzero wrote: »
    Another cricket score for Germany on Sunday is a possibility.

Unlikely. Arg are a million miles better defensively and more organised than that sham Brazil team last night. Expect a close affair I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Have to look back on Van Gaal's decision to bring on Krul against Cost Rica now.

Cillessen's confidence must have been shot going into that penalty shootout. He would've known that his manager thought he couldn't be trusted for penalties.

Or he's just shìt at penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Delighted the Dutch lose that shoot out after the shyte from their keeper. Mind games my arse!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Normally keepers are in a no pressure situation in a penalty shoot out as no one will really criticise them for not saving.

However, LVG's decision with Krul immediately put Cilleson under pressure as he had to prove himself in a penalty shoot out which is not the normal situation and a pressure he could have done without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

daithijjj wrote: »
    Vlaar taking the first spot kick for the Netherlands is as bizarre a decision as i have seen from a manager tbh.

I imagine Vlaar volunteered to take one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Why not just start with Krul? Cillessen is not exactly top drawer and Krul is no mug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

If Germany don't rip this Argentina team apart in the Final I be shocked. Germany have a Better midfield and they have in the past marked out Messi brilliantly, Defence they are equal and forward line Mueller is far better then what Argentina have.

If Germany don't win the final I be shocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

First ever scoreless semi final

Germany had already used up the semi-final allocation yesterday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

shrewdness wrote: »
    You can see why Van Gaal brought on Krul the last day, if was on there and dived the same way as Cillessen did he could have saved two of them. Bit strange starting with Vlaar as their first penalty taker when his was so poor, and Argentina starting with Messi meant the Netherlands were behind from the start.

Ah well, well done to Argentina, WC 2014 runners up. Hard to see them troubling Germany too much on what we've seen.

Vlaar was really good tonight (the penalty aside). I'm not suggesting he should have taken a penalty, but he played well imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Dunphy has upgraded mascherano from a donkey, to a workhorse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Ah bull**** Dunphy, there were some excellent players on the pitch. I bet he ends this little rant by licking the arse off Brady and Giles and talking about what great players they were back in the day with Nobby Styles and Bobby Moore.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Elegant Elliot Offen

aaaah the comedown.

I think I came.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

I'm by no means sad to see the Dutch out but people here talking about negative football from them yet I saw nothing different from Argentina ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Liam O wrote: »

Awh absolutely. But if Van Gaal was praised for taking him off the last day then he must be criticized for leaving him on today, especially after the previous vote of no confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

The right result, the dutch were trying to kick and bore their way through yet another game, and only started to actually play when Argentina were clearly dead on their feet. A warrior like display from the Argentinians to endure when they were absolutely exhausted.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Dunphy has upgraded mascherano from a donkey, to a workhorse

He's been incredible for them.

He's also the real captain of that team

Jesus Christ, can Giles and Dunphy do a post match analysis without mentioning Bobby fúcking Charlton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Degag wrote: »

I'm sure he did but the Dutch have two brilliant penalty takers in Kuyt and Huntelaar. Hard to figure why he was ahead of both of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

aaaah the comedown.

I think I came.

Well now....that's nice.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Liam O wrote: »

Hadn't saved one in the last 16 according to stevens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Tokarev

Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side

Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side

Bye bye Netherland bye bye.

Viva la Argentina.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Dutch will be disappointed but should look back on the tournament with pride. Topped the group of death and only penalties away from a final, with an inferior squad to the other semi finalists. One of the teams of the tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Looks like it'll be 0 world wars and 4 world cups.

Argentina offered little tonight and/or Netherlands neutralised them very well. Think this Dutch squad reached their level tbh but Argentina are no great shakes either. 2 or 3-0 Germany.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Degag wrote: »

You dont put Vlaar first even if he did. You have to put your best takers first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

So does the winner on sunday get to keep the trophy? Third time winners and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Cienciano wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, can Giles and Dunphy do a post match analysis without mentioning Bobby fúcking Charlton

They need to go back to smoking a pipe during the game and eating a kidney pie at half time, Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

So , according to the RTE panel everyone is sh1te .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Van Gaal bottled it with not playing Krul...clearly his "balls of steel" got rusted in the Amazon rain....deserving result, the Dutch were muck.

Delighted for some of the Argentina players, in fairness who could begrudge Messi a WC Final appearance...tough on the older Dutch lads too, last hurrah but they did have 2010.

Germany red hot favourites now but should be a cracker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

If vg has utd playing that way for the new season they will be doing well to finish 7th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Yes!! Van Gaal me hole.

Yes!! Van Gaal me hole.

Is that slang for something? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Awh absolutely. But if Van Gaal was praised for taking him off the last day then he must be criticized for leaving him on today, especially after the previous vote of no confidence.

agree there was some nonsense written about him after the last game the same way there will be some nonsense written tonight. It was an innovative idea but the key was the standard of penalties taken by the dutch.

3 old men saying how it was better in their day :pac:
    Giles, Dunphy and Brady really need to be replaced, as much as I liked them over the years, they're just 3 grumpy old men that offer no insight to the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Van Gaal bottled it with not playing Krul...clearly his "balls of steel" got rusted in the Amazon rain

Brilliant.
    I lolled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Vlaar was really good tonight (the penalty aside). I'm not suggesting he should have taken a penalty, but he played well imo.

I don't mean he was poor, I mean his penalty was. If someone like Robben for example stepped up to get them off the mark you'd be more confident, like Messi did for Argentina. Once Messi scored all the momentum and confidence was with Argentina and it was always going to be hard to peg them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Rte are awful. Every night these three are on its just whinging about the decline of football, even though the players are way better these days and the groups are more even and exciting.

Zero analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

derm0j073 wrote: »
    So , according to the RTE panel everyone is sh1te .

silly talk, old men just a second from saying "back in my day..". To say football has gone backward and their ain't world class players is silly.
    But I think they know it will cause a stir that's why they say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

So does the winner on sunday get to keep the trophy? Third time winners and all.

That doesn't happen anymore.

Also, Germany have won it 3 times already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Why do Giles and Dunphy even watch football, they clearly think it;s all ****e, no great team **** off Eamo you twat, Muller, Lahm, Schweinstagger, Khedira, Hummels, Kroos, Neur, Schuler, yeah that's not a great team ****ing twat. Last night as well Wales won't produce another top player, yeah because Garth Bale is ordinary is he.

• Advertisement
Advertisement