Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argentina vrs Netherlands, World Cup Semi-Final , 9/7/2014 , 9.00pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Van Gaal bottled it with not playing Krul...clearly his "balls of steel" got rusted in the Amazon rain....deserving result, the Dutch were muck.

Delighted for some of the Argentina players, in fairness who could begrudge Messi a WC Final appearance...tough on the older Dutch lads too, last hurrah but they did have 2010.

Germany red hot favourites now but should be a cracker

Dont think anyone deserved that to be honest, Argentina were as muck as them. Mascherano and Vlaar the complete standouts for both teams, that tells you the type of game it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Genius from Van Gaal getting that squad penalties away from a World Cup final

Seeing as he's not even in the job yet and píssing off fans he will fit in quite well at United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    That doesn't happen anymore.

Also, Germany have won it 3 times already.
    Aware of that.

I meant winning the current trophy for a third time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

A good world cup you would say for the dutch, not much to write home about in the knock out stages but they were a fairly limited team all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Cienciano wrote: »
    3 old men saying how it was better in their day :pac:
    Giles, Dunphy and Brady really need to be replaced, as much as I liked them over the years, they're just 3 grumpy old men that offer no insight to the game

They even managed to mention Billy Bremner!
    Dinosaurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Looper007 wrote: »
    silly talk, old men just a second from saying "back in my day..". To say football has gone backward and their ain't world class players is silly.
    But I think they know it will cause a stir that's why they say it.

No, I think the scary thing is that they actually believe their own shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Tokarev

derm0j073 wrote: »
    Argentina in the final is a right kick in the ballsack for Brazil .

And IF they win it,

It will be like say, A shotgun blast to the head maybe? :D

But Ze German efficiency is bloody good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Germany red hot favourites now but should be a cracker

not exactly - great odds on Germany if you think its a foregone conclusion :

Germany 8/11 Argentina 11/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

So , according to the RTE panel everyone is sh1te .
    Back in their day everyone was Bobby Charlton and George best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Cienciano wrote: »
    3 old men saying how it was better in their day :pac:
    Giles, Dunphy and Brady really need to be replaced, as much as I liked them over the years, they're just 3 grumpy old men that offer no insight to the game

after the two semi's I have to agree, coming from three men who don't watch any football is a little silly from their point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

They have a point about the lack of quality midfielders in certain teams.

Been a great World Cup but there has been no great team/teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

So , according to the RTE panel everyone is sh1te .

If you ignore all the good players.
    The lads have to have Billo there with them. Darragh maloney is too well able to spot holes is most of the lads arguements.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Seeing as he's not even in the job yet and píssing off fans he will fit in quite well at United

in the interest of balance he was also penalties away from losing to costa rica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Must make Bert van Marwijk an uber genius. He got them into extra time in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Germany should really make sh*t of that Argentina team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Another Moyes then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

People wondering why LVG brought on Huntelaar and saying that he did nothing are out of their minds. Van Persie was spent at the end and he was miscontrolling the ball constantly. As soon as Huntelaar came on he made the ball stick and Dutch got much further up the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

shamrock55 wrote: »
    If vg has utd playing that way for the new season they will be doing well to finish 7th

Im guessing United fans will dwell on his history of having top European clubs playing good football for seasons on end, rather than this sample size of one game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Have to look back on Van Gaal's decision to bring on Krul against Cost Rica now.

Cillessen's confidence must have been shot going into that penalty shootout. He would've known that his manager thought he couldn't be trusted for penalties.

Well then what an opportunity for him here to prove his manager wrong, clearly he couldn't though.

Any criticism for Van Gaal shouldn't be for him bringing on Krul in the last game, obviously that was the right call. It's more puzzling why he didn't do the same again here, maybe he thought any element of surprise was gone and it wouldn't be as effective. But clearly Krul is the better option in shoot-outs anyway. He probably thought Huntelaar could help them nick it in ET and RVP was out on his feet anyway, it turned out that Huntelaar did little anyway but easy to say in hindsight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't think the 3 lads are that far wrong in saying there is no great team in this World Cup.

No one has shone except for Germany and we just saw a very low quality semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

adox wrote: »

Nonsense. Robben and sneider are fabulous players and argentina kept them to without a shot.

I'm not a huge fan of his but I think Mascherano has had a very good tournament. Hasn't been many attacking midfielders stood out, and no Ozil certainly hasn't, to nip that one in the bud :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Has it been a great tournament? The group stage was excellent but the knock out rounds, and the 1/4 finals especially, were quite ordinary.

Calling it genius is hyperbole as is calling him a joke for bowing out now.The SF is mad place for extremes!

The Dutch could have won tonight if he tried to play football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Must make Bert van Marwijk an uber genius. He got them into extra time in the final.

4 years is a lot when your best players are the wrong side of 30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Nonsense. Robben and sneider are fabulous players and argentina kept them to without a shot.

Robben is a fabulous player. Sneijder hasn't been one for a good while now.

One reason for this is the lesser teams have played well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,751 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Huntelaar sub didn't work, he had no impact at all and Cillisen was particularly poor at penalties, if the praise for Van Gaal was overwhelming against Costa Rica then perhaps there should be criticism here.

Couldn't agree more. What I don't understand is why van Gaal believed the Huntelaar sub might work? Knowing Cillisen has never ever stopped a penalty? I've never watched a match that was as sure to go to penos as this one before. Surely a realist like him wasn't dreaming of what might be but what would be unlikely?

That said, Germany would be a deserved winner of this world cup. if I were a betting man, I'd put money on Germany - Argentina 3 - 0 :)

He did say certain teams and I think it was more meant performance wise. Although Sneijder has looked a shadow of his former self to be honest. His crossing tonight was absolutely abysmal.

Pro. F wrote: »
    People wondering why LVG brought on Huntelaar and saying that he did nothing are out of their minds. Van Persie was spent at the end and he was miscontrolling the ball constantly. As soon as Huntelaar came on he made the ball stick and Dutch got much further up the pitch.

Agreed

If the truth be told Van Persie should have been off even earlier. He looked knackered

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Eamon topping up his PP account:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Germany should really make sh*t of that Argentina team.

No if's or buts, mark out Messi and with their attacking flair Germany will put this team to the sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Also people (United fans) saying the Dutch squad are weak and that LVG did something amazing are wrong. They've an extremely good pool of players to select from. Semi finals is fine, but not a special tournament run by any stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

One a wide player/forward and the other a number 10, so I have no idea what point you are trying to make in relation to my post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I hope we see another 7 goal rout from the Germans, this Argentine team were every bit as sickening as Spain to watch, nothing but complete and utter negativity and defensive tactics. Colombia would have been more worthy finalists. Messi or not I have no love for the Argentines and hope the Germans repeats Tuesday nights effort.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't think the 3 lads are that far wrong in saying there is no great team in this World Cup.

No one has shone except for Germany and we just saw a very low quality semi final.

They've said that for pretty much every world cup except the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

That was happening when he was fresh as a daisy earlier in the game too. Come to think of it it was happening all game, every game of the tournament. Van Persie was shocking in general play throughout the tournament. Offside constantly, giving it away, needlessly fouling defenders because he couldn't be arsed fighting for the ball. He shouldn't have started any of the knockout games.

So does the winner on sunday get to keep the trophy? Third time winners and all.

The original FIFA World Cup Trophy cannot be won outright anymore, as the new regulations state that it shall remain FIFA's own possession. Instead, the FIFA World Cup winners are awarded a replica which they get to keep as a permanent reminder of their great triumph. These gold-plated replicas are referred to as the FIFA World Cup Winners' Trophies.

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/organisation/marketing/brand/trophy.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Great Apres Match sketch, Trevor Welch was hilarious but the Darragh Maloney sounds a bit too much like their Craig Doyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

No if's or buts, mark out Messi and with their attacking flair Germany will put this team to the sword.

I presume you've the house, car and the kids savings fund on Germany so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Calling it genius is hyperbole as is calling him a joke for bowing out now.The SF is mad place for extremes!

The Dutch could have won tonight if he tried to play football.

Well I dunno if genius is the word but he took on a squad who had a disastrous Euro 2012 with inhouse fighting and pathetic performances, gelled them together and got a near perfect record in qualifying. Then went to a South American World Cup and topped the group of death and led them to a Semi Final where they drew and were eliminated on Pens. All with a quite average squad of players. No mean feat whatsoever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I wouldnt hand ze germs the cup just yet, remember ghana, remember france, they were ****e in those games, and in fairness i wouldnt even count last night because brazil imploaded

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Also people (United fans) saying the Dutch squad are weak and that LVG did something amazing are wrong. They've an extremely good pool of players to select from. Semi finals is fine, but not a special tournament run by any stretch.

I mightnt always agree with what you have to say but its a pity there isnt a lot more people like you on these forums that can actually form an opinion without letting team bias come into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Kind of like when tiger woods got caught riding around and had to quit golf for a while,the game of golf was poorer for his abscense. Similar in football with the decline of the Spanish team, you finally see how poor everybody else is when you go looking for somebody to replace them at the top. That Spanish team was the best in a generation, be a while before we see a team like that again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Netherlands shouldnt have even got out of the group imo. 2 star players and a rake of youngsters and washed up has beens. Fair play Van Gaal, another top quality manager enters the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

It's like being a well organised defence makes you a bad team these days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Hope the Germans hammer this Argentine team for serving up nothing but muck all tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

If Germany don't rip this Argentina team apart in the Final I be shocked. Germany have a Better midfield and they have in the past marked out Messi brilliantly, Defence they are equal and forward line Mueller is far better then what Argentina have.

If Germany don't win the final I be shocked.

I think you might be shocked, I won't.

murpho999 wrote: »

They are dead right,

But this is one hell of a mad, crazy, flipping, Brilliant World Cup.

It ends sunday :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,751 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Raf32 wrote: »
    Netherlands shouldnt have even got out of the group imo

Spot on. They shouldn't have won all 3 matches in their group of death. Somehow I don't think your opinion will be taken seriously on this forum. Don't give up your day job!

Advertisement