Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activating Visa in Canada

Options
  • 08-07-2014 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

I just have a very quick question if anybody can help me out.

I have a job at home that I'll be leaving next June, but my POE expires next March. It's my plan to travel to Toronto in March (just before the POE expires) and activate my visa and return to Ireland a few days later until I can move over permanently in June.

Does anybody know if it matters if I activate it in Toronto, ON in March even if I want to go to a different state (Vancouver, BC) to live in June? (I'm planning on activating it in Toronto because flights there are a little cheaper, but maybe I'll go to Vancouver either, not fully decided yet)

It could have an obvious answer, I'm just wondering as regards social security numbers in different states, but perhaps it doesn't matter where you activate it, the visa enables you to live and work anywhere in Canada for the duration, right?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

ravingitup wrote: »
    I just have a very quick question if anybody can help me out.

I have a job at home that I'll be leaving next June, but my POE expires next March. It's my plan to travel to Toronto in March (just before the POE expires) and activate my visa and return to Ireland a few days later until I can move over permanently in June.

Does anybody know if it matters if I activate it in Toronto, ON in March even if I want to go to a different state (Vancouver, BC) to live in June? (I'm planning on activating it in Toronto because flights there are a little cheaper, but maybe I'll go to Vancouver either, not fully decided yet)

It could have an obvious answer, I'm just wondering as regards social security numbers in different states, but perhaps it doesn't matter where you activate it, the visa enables you to live and work anywhere in Canada for the duration, right?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Wont make a difference were just apply for a sin number when ya go after ya fisnish up work not on the trip to activate it

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ravingitup

Wont make a difference were just apply for a sin number when ya go after ya fisnish up work not on the trip to activate it

Thanks, pal. So I'll just activate the visa at the airport on the trip to activate it but I won't apply for a SIN number until I move over permanently?

Thanks, pal. So I'll just activate the visa at the airport on the trip to activate it but I won't apply for a SIN number until I move over permanently?

Yeah pretty much

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Just be aware that your travel insurance which you will need to get before you go over (when you activate it) might become void if you travel home for more than 14 days / nights. Not sure many policies allow you to go home for that long but check it out. But if not that voids your travel insurance which in turn voids your visa i think? Unless you get a new policy maybe?

MarkJD wrote: »
    Just be aware that your travel insurance which you will need to get before you go over (when you activate it) might become void if you travel home for more than 14 days / nights. Not sure many policies allow you to go home for that long but check it out. But if not that voids your travel insurance which in turn voids your visa i think? Unless you get a new policy maybe?

Oh. I hope this isn't correct? I understand that travel insurance policies may expire after a certain date, but surely it wouldn't void your visa?

Can anybody clarify the situation here? If you come to Canada with valid travel insurance to activate a visa, leave, and then come back later in the year - surely, you'd just have to get new travel insurance and it wouldn't invalidate your visa?

I'd appreciate any thoughts anybody has on this point. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Oh. I hope this isn't correct? I understand that travel insurance policies may expire after a certain date, but surely it wouldn't void your visa?

Can anybody clarify the situation here? If you come to Canada with valid travel insurance to activate a visa, leave, and then come back later in the year - surely, you'd just have to get new travel insurance and it wouldn't invalidate your visa?

I'd appreciate any thoughts anybody has on this point. Thanks.
    Yeah you be fine go over with 2 years insurance Theres a 14 day cooling off period . So once your insurance is valid then there's no issue activate the visa come home cancel the insurance . Then when ya do go just take out insurance again as ya said should be no issues

Yeah you be fine go over with 2 years insurance Theres a 14 day cooling off period . So once your insurance is valid then there's no issue activate the visa come home cancel the insurance . Then when ya do go just take out insurance again as ya said should be no issues

Once again, goingitalone to the rescue. Thanks a million, pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Thats good to know. SOrry for the wrong info i was under the impression if you voided your insurance it might void the visa. Best of luck :)

Advertisement