Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Too tall for a virago?

• 08-07-2014 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase my first bike and I've had my eye on a Virago 250, I ran the idea passed a buddy of mine at work and he was saying that I'd be way too tall for a bike like that. Just wondering if that'd be right, i'm 6'5'' so jus a tad lanky. As you can probably guess I'm a complete noobie to all this.

Cheers for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

You may or may not be but whatever bike you buy, try and get a feel for it first.
    What if the Virago isn't too low for you but you hate it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm 6,4 myself and I can definitely tell you that you'd look ridiculous on it. Also unless you're very thin you'll be too heavy for it too.

Look at a 600cc+ bike ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

http://cycle-ergo.com/
    This a good website to check how you will look on different bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Pretty sure that most people who are 6'5'' would probably be too heavy for a 250 as well.

What age are you and why the virago 250? What do you plan on using the bike for?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kidcash

I'm 22 so only qualify for an a2 licence. Was thinking the virago mainly because there's one for sale near me at a good price and just based on reviews. Always liked the look of them too. I'd be using it mainly for commuting, only living 10min drive from work. Any suggestions for other bikes that'd be a better fit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kidcash wrote: »
    I'm 22 so only qualify for an a2 licence. Was thinking the virago mainly because there's one for sale near me at a good price and just based on reviews. Always liked the look of them too. I'd be using it mainly for commuting, only living 10min drive from work. Any suggestions for other bikes that'd be a better fit?

Trail type bikes, Yam XT650 Kawasakai Versys Suzuki Gladius or there are the naked like the Kawk Z800e or 650 Bandit or VStrom and a load of BMWs are A2 bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

kidcash wrote: »

The Virago 535 is an A2 bike. I don't think its ideal for commuting but with just a 10m drive (probably 5min ride) I dont think this will matter much.

Something that is always suggested in other threads; you might be better off doing the IBT before buying a bike to see if you like riding and you'll get a better idea of what type of bike you need/ want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I'm 6'1" and had the Virago 125 a few years ago. It was just about fine for me. My knees just peaked over the tank. Any taller though, like yourself, and you're in trouble. I don't think it would be suitable for you, as others have said. Have you sat on one yet?

Haven't actually sat on it no. Got on a 650 bandit today tho and felt a good fit. Getting my IBT started soon so they have a few different ones to learn on, should help a good deal. Thanks for all the advice guys, helped me figure a good few things out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Also 6'4 and tried the virago :D yeah nah..

Finally went down the dual purpose route with a 650gs.

• Advertisement

Went to see the virago today actually.....dont think ill go near one that size again, knees to the handlebars haha.

Advertisement