Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All five Garth Brooks concerts cancelled !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I'm guessing this has been mentioned on boards before 16:53.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Shame, a lot of genuine fans left disappointed.

No-one comes out of this looking good, and that includes the artist himself, shows you how much 'he loves his Irish fans' that he's prepared to let 240,000 of them down for the 3 shows that got the OK.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Shame, a lot of genuine fans left disappointed.

No-one comes out of this looking good, and that includes the artist himself, shows you how much 'he loves his Irish fans' that he's prepared to let 240,000 of them down for the 3 shows that got the OK.

Apparently, Ireland didnt 'show him enough love'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I'm guessing this has been mentioned on boards before 16:53.

Sorry ! I thought if it was going to be mentioned on "Boards" then the "MUSIC" forum would be the place to do it. Had a quick look here before posting the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

" Aiken Promotions have exhausted all avenues regarding the staging of this event.”

Yeah... apart from getting your licenses in sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Harold Weiss

Absolutely devastated, shocked and saddened by this tragedy. My heart is with the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

An absolute clusterf*ck of a situation. No word from the GAA yet is there?

Ireland being pulled slowly but surely into the 21st century

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

The ticket were sold subject to license. Cancelling the other 3 dates when a license was received for those date is surely breech of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Cancelling the other 3 dates when a license was received for those date is surely breech of contract.

There was not much choice when Brooks gave the "five or none" ultimatum.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,314 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Utterly overwhelmed with indifference...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭furiousox

Look on the bright side Garth Brooks fans.
    Pink Floyd have a new album out in October!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭mattser

Well played residents, well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭furiousox

100% of the blame lies with the GAA and the promoter.

CPL 593H

An absolute clusterf*ck of a situation. No word from the GAA yet is there?

Ireland being pulled slowly but surely into the 21st century

Really?

More of storm in a teacup.

Nobody died.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

The ticket were sold subject to license. Cancelling the other 3 dates when a license was received for those date is surely breech of contract.
    This is what I cannot understand. How does a long running professional company such as Aiken leave a loophole in their contract that would allow Gareth brooks cancel in the event that not all licenses were granted? This was an unprecedented request in the context of the use of Croke Park, how did they not write this in, particularly when the original agreement was for two concerts not five?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 thedeer

My tuppence worth......

1. It's a bit worrying that approximately 10% of the entire population of Ireland bought tickets for this.
    2. God must exist.
    3. God must not exist because 'heaps' of people were praying (many of them in 'LOURDES') that this event would go ahead.
    4. I would (respectfully) suggest that the five gigs are amalgamated into one giant gig and held (in a field) as part of the ploughing championships in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,019 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I had no interest in these concerts at all but I feel sorry for the hotels, chippers, shops and other businesses and their staff in the area who missed out on a 50 million euro windfall when times are hard. The country needs events like this and contrary to what other posters think the blame lies not only with the promoter and the GAA but also with the resident committees some members of which do not even live anywhere the area.

Next time perhaps the organisers would arrange things properly before making the whole country look backward.

This is not good for the country and shows us in a bad light.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Surely letting 240,000 people come to concerts and spending 3/5 of the money the 5/5 would have, would have been a better idea.

Brooks comes out of this looking like a spolit brat for me. There was originally only 1 concert afaik, that went to 2, then 3, then 5. It wasn't as if 5 were released at the start, so he should pucker up and stage the 3, shows a lack of care for his fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Personally delighted on 2 fronts;

I'm heading to Dublin that weekend from London so I wont have to deal with the headache of travelling to and from Dublin Airport during a big Croker gig

I was planning on going to Thurles that weekend for the hurling quarter finals, these will be moved to croker now i would imagine so no travelling to and from Thurles :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

All Aiken's fault. He screwed up. You don't sell tickets for five concerts before you even got permission for one. Rookie promoter mistake.
    He only put in for permission for the initial three a couple of weeks back and for the following two last week. Very badly organised.
    Brooks has his jockeys in a bunch, so much for his fans.
    The three were the planned ones, the other two were extras added due to demand so he could have easily gone ahead with the three.
    Blaming the council or any locals is a smoke screen.
    The press this has gotten is the real embarrassment for the country.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Personally delighted on 2 fronts;

I'm heading to Dublin that weekend from London so I wont have to deal with the headache of travelling to and from Dublin Airport during a big Croker gig

I was planning on going to Thurles that weekend for the hurling quarter finals, these will be moved to croker now i would imagine so no travelling to and from Thurles :)

Make sure that you use the proper toilets and don't give the residents any more ammunition

Rigsby wrote: »
    There was not much choice when Brooks gave the "five or none" ultimatum.

Issue is with Garth on this one, but Aiken are the point of contact with the customer. No interest in going myself. Hopefully his bullheaded attitude will lose him some fans. I actually don't think he is a bad singer either even if I don't follow his genre. His attitude stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

how Garth Brooks sold out 5 dates at Croke Park in the first place is beyond me...

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pcbscott

For Reals wrote: »
    All Aiken's fault. He screwed up. You don't sell tickets for five concerts before you even got permission for one. Rookie promoter mistake.
    He only put in for permission for the initial three a couple of weeks back and for the following two last week. Very badly organised.
    Brooks has his jockeys in a bunch, so much for his fans.
    The three were the planned ones, the other two were extras added due to demand so he could have easily gone ahead with the three.
    Blaming the council or any locals is a smoke screen.
    The press this has gotten is the real embarrassment for the country.

In fairness to Aiken : Promotors are never granted the license to run an event which involves the public until the hours before the event. The license is subject to getting sign off from a H&S viewpoint once all the elements required for the event are in place.

This is why all events / festivals are sold subject to license. The residents issue is no doubt another part of the licence, but even if that had not been an issue there would have been no license granted untill the day of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Skybox

how Garth Brooks sold out 5 dates at Croke Park in the first place is beyond me...

Garth Brooks is actually the best selling artist of all time. I reckon he'd have sold out a couple more concerts tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Make sure that you use the proper toilets and don't give the residents any more ammunition

Yeah coz it's such an unreasonable request to ask someone not to piss on your doorstep. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

Garth brooked no quarter

• Registered Users Posts: 23,559 ✭✭✭✭ted1

furiousox wrote: »
    100% of the blame lies with the GAA and the promoter.
    No it's all one directions fault. They were the ones who took the there concert dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

pcbscott wrote: »
    In fairness to Aiken : Promotors are never granted the license to run an event which involves the public until the hours before the event. The license is subject to getting sign off from a H&S viewpoint once all the elements required for the event are in place.

This is why all events / festivals are sold subject to license. The residents issue is no doubt another part of the licence, but even if that had not been an issue there would have been no license granted untill the day of the event.

Two separate issues. H&S can walk in anywhere any time and close it. This was permission off the council to hold the event that wasn't sought. That and insurance being in place go hand in hand. If no permission is given, H&S has nothing to look over. Also as regards Brooks, the fourth and fifth gigs we're add-ons so the five or nothing was an ego tantrum. Really sad to see our government even commenting on a cancelled few gigs. That's what makes us a joke.

• Advertisement

For Reals wrote: »
    Two separate issues. H&S can walk in anywhere any time and close it. This was permission off the council to hold the event that wasn't sought. That and insurance being in place go hand in hand. If no permission is given, H&S has nothing to look over. Also as regards Brooks, the fourth and fifth gigs we're add-ons so the five or nothing was an ego tantrum. Really sad to see our government even commenting on a cancelled few gigs. That's what makes us a joke.

I guess the other 4 millions of us were supposed to bow to power of Garth.

Advertisement