Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All five Garth Brooks concerts cancelled !!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

I’m Astounded this campaign spearheaded by a CASTLEKNOCK resident and a small number of Croke Park ‘residents’ can result in all 5 Garth Brooks concerts being cancelled. Seriously a Castleknock resident, Castleknock is about 9 kms away from Croke Park!! Has this individual no local vendettas to contend with. The Garth Brooks concerts would have not only benefited the Croke Park area greatly, but the country as a whole. I hope they are happy with their selfish achievement, because 400.000 people certainly aren’t. They and Dublin City Council should hang their heads in shame. Roughly 300 people or so who complained inconvenienced for a couple of hours on 5 days versus 400,000 people enjoying a concert they looked forward to and spent their hard earned money on. Surely the donation of €500,000 for the local community would be reason enough to let these events go ahead. What happened to community spirit, surely a couple of hours inconvenience is worth a €500,000 investment into your local area. Maybe the problem is the donation was going to the local area not Castleknock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭Guffy

Ticketmaster will be refunding their handling charges too right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

I’m Astounded this campaign spearheaded by a CASTLEKNOCK resident and a small number of Croke Park ‘residents’ can result in all 5 Garth Brooks concerts being cancelled. Seriously a Castleknock resident, Castleknock is about 9 kms away from Croke Park!! Has this individual no local vendettas to contend with. The Garth Brooks concerts would have not only benefited the Croke Park area greatly, but the country as a whole. I hope they are happy with their selfish achievement, because 400.000 people certainly aren’t. They and Dublin City Council should hang their heads in shame. Roughly 300 people or so who complained inconvenienced for a couple of hours on 5 days versus 400,000 people enjoying a concert they looked forward to and spent their hard earned money on. Surely the donation of €500,000 for the local community would be reason enough to let these events go ahead. What happened to community spirit, surely a couple of hours inconvenience is worth a €500,000 investment into your local area. Maybe the problem is the donation was going to the local area not Castleknock.

You've either not been following the news, reading this thread or both.
    What happened was;

A few months back Aitken promotions sold tickets for three nights, which sold out. Then they sold tickets for an extra two nights due to popular demand.

About two weeks ago Aitken promotions applied for permission off the council for three nights. They got permission, even though there was a complaint in the works of the courts.
    Then last week, Aitken promotions applied for permission for the fourth and fifth nights, extra nights.
    The council said no, you can't do five nights in a row. It's a policy already in place.
    So without the residents or anyone from Castleknock getting involved, the three were approved but not the forth and fifth.
    This pissed off Garth who pulled out of the whole deal.
    The End.

So it was the promoters fault for not having his ducks in a row and Garth for having a hissy fit and refusing to do the three original nights which were free to go ahead. Garth Brooks cancelled three gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

Garth is a pseud - in my 30 years in the music biz I've rarely heard of such histrionic wussjackery. Aiken is respected for a reason, and a much better promoter than those other guys (the ones we're not supposed to mention on Boards or so I am told). But Aiken did proceed under the assumption that he/they were going to be allowed to exceed the quota. The GAA should have said 'No way, Jose' from the get go - but they clearly saw the dollar and tried to chance it. I'm glad the courts supported the 3-concert limit, as noise nuisance is a big problem in Dublin, and the legislation was never properly upgraded to deal with this environmental problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭mattser

For Reals wrote: »
    You've either not been following the news, reading this thread or both.
    What happened was;

A few months back Aitken promotions sold tickets for three nights, which sold out. Then they sold tickets for an extra two nights due to popular demand.

About two weeks ago Aitken promotions applied for permission off the council for three nights. They got permission, even though there was a complaint in the works of the courts.
    Then last week, Aitken promotions applied for permission for the fourth and fifth nights, extra nights.
    The council said no, you can't do five nights in a row. It's a policy already in place.
    So without the residents or anyone from Castleknock getting involved, the three were approved but not the forth and fifth.
    This pissed off Garth who pulled out of the whole deal.
    The End.

So it was the promoters fault for not having his ducks in a row and Garth for having a hissy fit and refusing to do the three original nights which were free to go ahead. Garth Brooks cancelled three gigs.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Skybox wrote: »
    Garth Brooks is actually the best selling artist of all time. I reckon he'd have sold out a couple more concerts tbh!

No, he's actually not...

• Registered Users Posts: 72,747 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Has nobody thought of poor Nathan Carter and Shane Filan?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,559 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The tickets were sold as being subject to licence. For people that bought tickets the to the original concerts the licence was granted. I wonder know is there a possibility if claiming compensation for hotel rooms etc

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

agreement for 3/4 gigs a year and there has already been 3
    the country is going to miss out on over 100 million euro
    after all there protesting will the residents sit outside the dail when we are all taxed for there actions in the next budget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Why couldn't they have relocated the concerts to Marley park or somewhere else even slane..
    Alot of money lost

Really tickets should only go on sale when its definitely going ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Lirange

Garth Brooks...Axl Rose... great pair of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Why don't the government just offer the residents a holiday in a mobile home for the weekend and supply them coke and hookers,and let them get at it.

Win Win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Why don't the government just offer the residents a holiday in a mobile home for the weekend and supply them coke and hookers,and let them get at it.

Win Win.

Or things could just be organised according to the law. This farce requires zero government intervention!
    My sarcasm detector may be off!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Why don't the government just offer the residents a holiday in a mobile home for the weekend

It would be better for all concerned if they offered better planning laws. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

Rigsby wrote: »

Great point Rigsby, the framework is the problem and G-gate has shown up the deficiencies. A good example is the noise nuisance laws, they were tabled to be reviewed and then the recession struck. As these laws were never upgraded, we still have flaky and antediluvian legislation in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

TroutMask wrote: »
    Garth is a pseud - in my 30 years in the music biz I've rarely heard of such histrionic wussjackery. Aiken is respected for a reason, and a much better promoter than those other guys (the ones we're not supposed to mention on Boards or so I am told). But Aiken did proceed under the assumption that he/they were going to be allowed to exceed the quota. The GAA should have said 'No way, Jose' from the get go - but they clearly saw the dollar and tried to chance it. I'm glad the courts supported the 3-concert limit, as noise nuisance is a big problem in Dublin, and the legislation was never properly upgraded to deal with this environmental problem.
    irish love garth because he has a song that he says "kiss my assss" and all the drunk people at weddings think it's hilarious

Rigsby wrote: »

Or if existing laws were adhered to.

Ipso wrote: »
    Or if existing laws were adhered to.
    the law is 3 gigs per year and all others subject to license isn't it?

the law is 3 gigs per year and all others subject to license isn't it?

From what i understand, yes. Maybe 5 comes before 3 in promoter world. And then Garth expresses loyalty to fans his five or none policy.

Ipso wrote: »
    From what i understand, yes. Maybe 5 comes before 3 in promoter world. And then Garth expresses loyalty to fans his five or none policy.
    Most gigs over 5000k attendance are also subject to license...and due to time,costs and ridiculous planning laws they have to sell the tickets in advance of the license.

• Advertisement
Advertisement