Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth brooks concert called off!! - MOD WARNING POST 17

Options
  • 08-07-2014 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I feel for the people that have tickets for the now called off concerts, now people must understand where the blame lies for this cock up.. The blame lands only on the promoter,, he new the law would only allow 3 gigs as the law has been that way for years, he sold tickets knowing the licence would not be granted but he pushed ahead hoping to bully his way onto getting the rest.. Brooks is childish for not playing the three in my opinion..but tut tut peter you messed up and unless ya can talk gareth around while your in the us it wil cost ya and rightly too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

jdh1 wrote: »
    I feel for the people that have tickets for the now called off concerts, now people must understand where the blame lies for this cock up.. The blame lands only on the promoter,, he new the law would only allow 3 gigs as the law has been that way for years, he sold tickets knowing the licence would not be granted but he pushed ahead hoping to bully his way onto getting the rest.. Brooks is childish for not playing the three in my opinion..but tut tut peter you messed up and unless ya can talk gareth around while your in the us it wil cost ya and rightly too

I do not agree with any of the above. What is at fault is the process. An event as big as this should have final approval at least three months in advance. I think Garth has it exactly right. At this stage, for lots of reasons, it is either all or nothing. Whoever though they would get away with a part approval just doesn't understand anything about events as large as this.

Adding an appeal process as proposed in the dail today will only give us worse clifhangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mrjoshua

mbur wrote: »
    I do not agree with any of the above. What is at fault is the process. An event as big as this should have final approval at least three months in advance. I think Garth has it exactly right. At this stage, for lots of reasons, it is either all or nothing. Whoever though they would get away with a part approval just doesn't understand anything about events as large as this.

Adding an appeal process as proposed in the dail today will only give us worse clifhangers.

Thats not even a valid reply. The promoter took the proverbial and got caught. He should and will get sued to the hilt i should imagine and rightly so. Their greed has cost Ireland alot of money. Ruined peoples plans and cost them no doubt. And one other thing. Would you like that next to you every night for 5 days..errrr. no

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

What happens to the interest earned on the payments for tickets? Especially that paid for the "extra 2 days".

nick 56 wrote: »
    What happens to the interest earned on the payments for tickets? Especially that paid for the "extra 2 days".

They will need that to pay the many judgements against them lol

mrjoshua wrote: »
    Thats not even a valid reply. The promoter took the proverbial and got caught. He should and will get sued to the hilt i should imagine and rightly so. Their greed has cost Ireland alot of money. Ruined peoples plans and cost them no doubt. And one other thing. Would you like that next to you every night for 5 days..errrr. no

You won't get very far scapegoating Peter Aitken. Far more productive to examine and revise the process that has lead to this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 jdh1

the process is faulty ill agree wit ya there, wat in getting at is everyone that has anything to do with events at the park no there is a legal document stating only three events can take place there,, so wat was the promoter doing selling tickets for five when he new the rules it was the same rules as the one direction concert and any other that take place there.. The promoter was chancing his arm hoping to over power Dublin council when it didn't go his way but shot for him and well done to the council why should an English promoter get his way over the rest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Aitken were just greedy.....and it came back to bite them....on a grand scale.

Karma's a bitch.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Aitken were just greedy.....and it came back to bite them....on a grand scale.

Karma's a bitch.

good old karma i love karma haha

You won't get very far scapegoating Peter Aitken. Far more productive to examine and revise the process that has lead to this situation.

And you wont defending him.

the process so far is peter started wit the aloud three gigs he then got greedy and tried for two more hoping he would get away wit it and he didn't so nice try better look next time

• Advertisement

jdh1 wrote: »
    the process so far is peter started wit the aloud three gigs he then got greedy and tried for two more hoping he would get away wit it and he didn't so nice try better look next time

Spot on. He got caught and the other fool has spat out his dummy.

Maybe Chris Gaines will do the 3 licenced but abandoned dates?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Paddy Constable

Hey hey ...hold on now

"GARETH Brooks ?

"Peter AITKEN"

These guy's names have been plastered over the papers for the last few months and at least if your going to start a thread about a guy spell his name right !

It's GARTH Brooks

It's Peter AIKEN

OK ...got that ?

Pity about the concerts but..........

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Throughout this whole fallout, people seem to forgotten he originally sold out the three legitimate dates, which if you would believe, was all that was ever planned.

I fail to see why these cannot go ahead as planned...

Initially it was only the 2 additional dates, that caused the problem.

http://www.u.tv/Entertainment/Garth-Brooks-adds-fourth-Dublin-gig/7d2b013b-e67d-4c6a-85a3-16e46e1db85f

The whole thing is a sham for the country, but at least this whole '5 or none' business makes all involved seem petty and childish, not just the objectors/country!

The poor Irish mammies I say :pac:

(and all the good causes that used tickets to fundraise :()

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Paddy Constable

Rips wrote: »
    Throughout this whole fallout, people seem to forgotten he originally sold out the three legitimate dates, which if you would believe, was all that was ever planned.

I fail to see why these cannot go ahead as planned...

Initially it was only the 2 additional dates, that caused the problem.

The whole thing is a sham for the country, but at least this whole '5 or none' business makes all involved seem petty and childish, not just the objectors/country!

The poor Irish mammies I say :pac:

(and all the good causes that used tickets to fundraise :()

I think what Mr Brooks was saying is that he was contracted to do FIVE concerts in Croke Park and would have proceeded on that basis.

God love him but he would have expected the promoter and the Stadium Authorities to ensure that the necessary licenses were provided well in advance of the concert dates.

Then he learns that one unelected tin pot in City Hall decides that three concerts is the max a couple of weeks before the gigs and no appeal or revision is possible...is probably a bit fed up with the gombeen clowns he has been dealing with in Ireland and says OK lads if you want to act like that ...no giggs...nada ...50 million revenue down the tubes.

Mr. Brooks is a bit miffed decides to play a bit of hardball

Well done everybody !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

MOD

Guys, I have no issue with you discussing the concerts, but keep it civil, alright? Other threads about this have gone very off-topic, I don't want this one going the same way

mrjoshua wrote: »
    And you wont defending him.
    I didn't think I was.. My main point:
    Far more productive to examine and revise the process that has lead to this situation.
    and the solution I offer is this:
    An event as big as this should have final approval at least three months in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Would brooks be even fit enough to do 5 concerts 5 nights in a row? The man would have been panned out after 2 he is clearly bloated and his singing voice isn't what it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

MOD

There's been posts deleted and I'm after giving out cards. I'm going to ask ye again to remain civil about this, and no personal attacks on Brooks, Aiken, DCC or any other parties. Any more posts breaching the charter or the two mod warnings in this thread, I'm going to give out red cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JB101

For Sale a load of garth tickets (I hope the moderator doesn't ban me for offering tickets at a good price !)

Some suggested uses are as follows :

Would make handy table mats or can be folded over for pickin bits of chicken out of your teeth

Great for papering over the holes in the floor of your 1982 Fiesta or even for filling the big gap that has developed where the door meets the body of the car and the wind is howlin in when your doing 50 on the Athlone bypass

Also great to hold onto them when you're telling the grandchildren in 2057 about the crowd of gobs***es that were running the show in 2014 and how they couldn't organise a p*** up in a brewery.

Burn for about 10 minutes so handy as firelighters, especially if the turf is a bit damp.

If you're from certain counties (Limerick, Waterford and Offaly spring to mind) you could use them to make a papier mache replica of the Liam Mc Carthy Cup and pretend ye won an All Ireland

Ive been told that some of the residents around Croke Park would like to get their hands on them to use as wallpaper in their "cosy cottages"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

relevant

gujXLum.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I wish a final decision was made now either way so Garthgate can be over

Yeah. Sick off it. Most people are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Passed in through Ballybough today and thought of the Garth Brooks concerts. The place is so rundown. Apart from Croke Park there is zilch to attract anyone to the area. Can't help but believe that the objections were a class divisive issue with a minority of the people in purchased houses objecting and the people in the City Council schemes in favour. Much exaggerated nonsense about the effects that the crowds would have had on the area. Pathetic gutless leadership from City Hall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Seems to pulling off any number of concerts he wants across the water. At this rate he does not need to come to Europe

http://bringmethenews.com/2014/10/03/after-quick-sellouts-garth-brooks-adds-minneapolis-shows-total-now-10/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Maybe he can make up for lost time here too and double the concerts the next time he comes around.

800,000 tickets sold and 10 nights in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

knew it was a bad idea to come back into this thread :(:( that just breaks my heart. lucky them :cool:

hoping that some how he's in Washington D.C next summer, if so i am sooo there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Fiskar wrote: »
    Seems to pulling off any number of concerts he wants across the water. At this rate he does not need to come to Europe

http://bringmethenews.com/2014/10/03/after-quick-sellouts-garth-brooks-adds-minneapolis-shows-total-now-10/

Imagine that, 10 nights in a dedicated concert arena specifically built in a dedicated "Entertainment District" designed to deal with that amount of people passing through it every night. Who'd have thought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

garth coming back to ireland in 2015? pleas say it is so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Sunbabe

He's not coming back. The rumours came from this
    http://m.billboard.com/entry/view/id/102928

Third last paragraph and it says "sources says Europe and Australia next summer". Nothing official.

The Star gathered that he will play in Ireland and next July. How, I don't know.

Aiken and Garth Brooks PR has came out with it today that there are no concerts for Ireland next year as he has other dates in America.

But they'll say that anyway until they're ready to announce it officially. Wishful thinking but probably after the album goes on sale on November 11.

I reckon if we don't hear anything before Christmas, that's it, no concerts for 2015. I'm giving up then.

Advertisement