Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fortnite

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Andrew76 wrote: »
    So you don't have to start from the beginning? My eldest two play it on Xbox so will be interesting to see what they make of it on the Switch.

All platforms are cross play. You can play with same account and progress on any device, but not ps4, if you on ps4, you can play on any device, but not on ps4. Basically sony being dicks.

Still no sign of it in store. :(

All platforms are cross play. You can play with same account and progress on any device, but not ps4, if you on ps4, you can play on any device, but not on ps4. Basically sony being dicks.

Still no sign of it in store. :(

I wouldn't put the blame solely on Sony. Having worked in Terms of Service for one of the big publishers, I know that Sony takes online protection very seriously, far more so than others. They investigate any accusations or complaints made and are far more proactive in protecting their customers than most. They actually investigate any claim made unlike say Xbox who if they receive a number of reports about a user will give that user an automated ban, even if the accusations were lies.

With crossplay such as this, a number of questions need to be looked at and until Sony and Xbox allow each other access to their programs for tracking complaints and sanctioning accounts we may not see any major steps on cross-platforming across all platforms. The questions that come up are who is responsible to police it, what if an Xbox user uses cross play chat to solicit sex from a minor. Is it Sony, Microsofts or both job to look into it and who can place a restriction on the user. Should the Xbox user have been playing with a PS user considering that they may not have had to accept the Sony ToS before joining a game?

It brings up all kinds of interesting questions and I'm curious to see what it takes for Sony to allow it occur.

I wouldn't put the blame solely on Sony. Having worked in Terms of Service for one of the big publishers, I know that Sony takes online protection very seriously, far more so than others. They investigate any accusations or complaints made and are far more proactive in protecting their customers than most. They actually investigate any claim made unlike say Xbox who if they receive a number of reports about a user will give that user an automated ban, even if the accusations were lies.

With crossplay such as this, a number of questions need to be looked at and until Sony and Xbox allow each other access to their programs for tracking complaints and sanctioning accounts we may not see any major steps on cross-platforming across all platforms. The questions that come up are who is responsible to police it, what if an Xbox user uses cross play chat to solicit sex from a minor. Is it Sony, Microsofts or both job to look into it and who can place a restriction on the user. Should the Xbox user have been playing with a PS user considering that they may not have had to accept the Sony ToS before joining a game?

It brings up all kinds of interesting questions and I'm curious to see what it takes for Sony to allow it occur.

A bit bull**** argument when Sony lets you play with mobile and pc. Or those two are less toxic?
    Not even intrested in cross play vs other platforms, more interested to be able to use same account for all platforms. Just keeping my progress etc.
    To make matters worse, if you played even one game on ps4 and linked your epic account, then you are fecked. You cant unlink it or do anything. Sony just puts their claws in it. It happened to me. Stupidly wanted to see how Fortnite looked on console and played 3 matches on ps4, then bought xbo xone x with ps4 chilling in the cupboard. Now I made an email just for new epic account, so I can play a damn thing.
    With switch fortnite launch it became even bigger **** storm and reddit blown, because all those people cant play on switch with their actual accounts.

A bit bull**** argument when Sony lets you play with mobile and pc. Or those two are less toxic?
    Not even intrested in cross play vs other platforms, more interested to be able to use same account for all platforms. Just keeping my progress etc.
    To make matters worse, if you played even one game on ps4 and linked your epic account, then you are fecked. You cant unlink it or do anything. Sony just puts their claws in it. It happened to me. Stupidly wanted to see how Fortnite looked on console and played 3 matches on ps4, then bought xbo xone x with ps4 chilling in the cupboard. Now I made an email just for new epic account, so I can play a damn thing.
    With switch fortnite launch it became even bigger **** storm and reddit blown, because all those people cant play on switch with their actual accounts.

Have you worked in Terms of service for a company who operated otherwise?

I'm only offering my own experience from working in ToS for one of the worlds biggest companies and showing why there is most likely far more to this than mean old Sony not wanting gamers to have fun.

There are very few crossplay titles on PS4, off the top of my head I think maybe some of the free to play titles. The difference between crossplay on PC/mobile and console is that generally the developer/publisher of the games on PC and mobile control their own product, they do not hand it over to a third party. With chat in-game on the Xbox, this is controlled by MS and not the developer. Let's take CoD as an example, if you are playing on a PC and someone starts bullying you then you report this directly to Activision who can investigate and look into it for you. If you are on Xbox and report it to Activision they will tell you that you need to speak with MS as they have no way to block or investigate anyone on Xbox unless MS gives them access to their systems which is not going to happen, even less likely to happen if Activision were in direct competition with MS and releasing consoles.

How do you know that the issue with accounts is because of Sony? When I played on Xbox originally I had to unlink my Xbox account from Epic before it would let me link my PC or PS4 account. You are making assumptions based on an obvious dislike of PS and that's fine but you are basing it on no factual evidence. Until Epic and Sony come out and say this is being caused by Sony you have no basis to attack them and not attack Epic for creating this mess.

Edited to add, it is not about toxicity but rather that when you sign up to a Sony account you agree to follow the rules and if you do not then you get banned. They have a duty of care to their users and if crossplay is to happen then Sony have to ensure that they can enforce sanctions on anyone who breaks their ToS aswell as ensuring that their users are not exposed to inappropriate content. If that content is coming from an Xbox user in a crossplay game then Sony can't do a whole lot and there has been some interesting questions asked in regards the possibility of a class action law suit were for example an Xbox user to use cross play to solicit minors on the different platfrom. Before you get offended, it's a hypothetical and something that ToS departments discuss on a regul basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Yeah, we're in the same boat here, my son started playing Fortnite on PS4 because that's what most of his friends were playing on but after a few days we realised he could play on PC and still play with them. He prefers gaming on the PC so he hasn't played on the PS4 in weeks but now, because of playing it for less than a week on the PS4, he can't use his account on the Switch. It's very anti consumer from Sony. We're going on holidays soon and he was hoping to play Fortnite on the Switch occasionally. He'd get over not being able to play with friends on the Switch, being able to continue progressing with his existing account would do him. Sure, he could create a new account for the Switch but as he said himself, "he'd have noob skin!"

• Advertisement

Have you worked in Terms of service for a company who operated otherwise?

I'm only offering my own experience from working in ToS for one of the worlds biggest companies and showing why there is most likely far more to this than mean old Sony not wanting gamers to have fun.

There are very few crossplay titles on PS4, off the top of my head I think maybe some of the free to play titles. The difference between crossplay on PC/mobile and console is that generally the developer/publisher of the games on PC and mobile control their own product, they do not hand it over to a third party. With chat in-game on the Xbox, this is controlled by MS and not the developer. Let's take CoD as an example, if you are playing on a PC and someone starts bullying you then you report this directly to Activision who can investigate and look into it for you. If you are on Xbox and report it to Activision they will tell you that you need to speak with MS as they have no way to block or investigate anyone on Xbox unless MS gives them access to their systems which is not going to happen, even less likely to happen if Activision were in direct competition with MS and releasing consoles.

How do you know that the issue with accounts is because of Sony? When I played on Xbox originally I had to unlink my Xbox account from Epic before it would let me link my PC or PS4 account. You are making assumptions based on an obvious dislike of PS and that's fine but you are basing it on no factual evidence. Until Epic and Sony come out and say this is being caused by Sony you have no basis to attack them and not attack Epic for creating this mess.

I get what you are saying and I see the logic in it but why don't they allow people to unlink their accounts from PS4 permanently and move them to the Switch, if that's what people want? If you go to your Epic games account and try to unlink from PS4, the disclaimer that pops up tells you that this will still not allow you to "unlock restricted platforms". I think the Epic's wording of the situation puts the blame on Sony. They obviously can't come out and blatantly say it's Sony's fault but they are certainly alluding to it.

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I get what you are saying and I see the logic in it but why don't they allow people to unlink their accounts from PS4 permanently and move them to the Switch, if that's what people want? If you go to your Epic games account and try to unlink from PS4, the disclaimer that pops up tells you that this will still not allow you to "unlock restricted platforms". I think the Epic's wording of the situation puts the blame on Sony. They obviously can't come out and blatantly say it's Sony's fault but they are certainly alluding to it.

Just looking at my account and realised that I made a mistake above, when I started Fortnite it was on Xbox but when my brother asked me to play on PS4 I had to create a new account as I was unable to move my account or link my PS4 account to the one which had my Xbox. As such I wouldn't be so fast to point the finger at Sony as this could just as easily be a screw up by Epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Sony and Epic appear to be blaming each other. It's all over reddit.

Epic control the central account. Cross play complaints can be taken just as seriously with a little cooperation. That's the key point, cooperation. Which it is fairly obvious seeing as everyone else can get along that it is sony lacking in that department.

Epic control the central account. Cross play complaints can be taken just as seriously with a little cooperation. That's the key point, cooperation. Which it is fairly obvious seeing as everyone else can get along that it is sony lacking in that department.

Epic do control the main account but there is much more to it than simply saying we need this account sanctioned. For example, Epic would have no records of text or voice chat which occurs during a game on a console. In fact if someone is making threats in say an Epic game on console then it is up to the console publisher to look into the accusation and pass sanctions, it's why you see so much crap in games like CoD on console. Saying that all it takes is cooperation isn't enough, it takes a whole lot more than that. It takes each company giving the other access to their programs so as to be able to look into and sanction an account quicker. The Switch now has voice chat, I've not played it yet but if someone on Xbox starts shouting racist abuse at a Switch player who do you report it to? Does the Switch owner report it to MS, Nintendo or Epic? Can Nintendo enforce a sanction on the account of an Xbox user?

There is a lot more to it than simply saying cooperation.

• Advertisement

Epic do control the main account but there is much more to it than simply saying we need this account sanctioned. For example, Epic would have no records of text or voice chat which occurs during a game on a console. In fact if someone is making threats in say an Epic game on console then it is up to the console publisher to look into the accusation and pass sanctions, it's why you see so much crap in games like CoD on console. Saying that all it takes is cooperation isn't enough, it takes a whole lot more than that. It takes each company giving the other access to their programs so as to be able to look into and sanction an account quicker. The Switch now has voice chat, I've not played it yet but if someone on Xbox starts shouting racist abuse at a Switch player who do you report it to? Does the Switch owner report it to MS, Nintendo or Epic? Can Nintendo enforce a sanction on the account of an Xbox user?

Whether they go through Epic or direct to Microsoft it doesn't matter.
    Sony wrote:
    We have had a complaint of racism from one of your players, please provide logs.
    Xbox wrote:
    No problem my gaming compadre, we are one happy gaming community, here are the logs. Let us know your conclusion, we take racism seriously too!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I generally agree Darko, and if cross-play is out, it's out. However, the main issue a lot of people are complaining about is not being able to unlink their Epic account from the PS4 and use that Epic account on another platform, therefore losing all their skins etc. Even if you played on PC for months, then switched your account to PS4, all your skins and progress get locked to your PSN account and can't be unlinked from it.

This does tend to happen in other games, for example I don't think you can move your Overwatch progress/skins from one platform to another. The reason the focus is on Sony for this now is because they're the only platform who is not allowing it for this game (well, whether it's Sony or Epic) and the game gained most of its popularity on PS4, so a lot of people who have their skins and progress on PS4 would now have to set up a new Epic account for all other platforms.

I would theorise that the way the linking of PSN and Epic accounts for Fortnite on PS4 was setup in the beginning didn't allow for unlinking, as cross-play and moving your Epic account between other platforms likely wasn't on the cards at that point, the mechanism for allowing it simply may not have been factored into it. After all, Sony's PSN infrastructure tends to operate in different ways to XBL (eg. the complications with allowing users to change their PSN IDs).

Either way, if it is just down to Sony's decision, it's a fair enough business decision (why enable people to take their progress and play the game on another platform, thereby leaving your platform), but a poor PR decision.

Whether they go through Epic or direct to Microsoft it doesn't matter.

Do you really think that it is as simple as that? If it was my job when I worked in ToS would have been a thousand times easier.

Having worked in ToS trying to get information from another company about a transgression which occurred is a lot more difficult than just asking.

Also, the question hasn't been answered, if someone on Xbox insults a PSN user then whose responsibility is it to sanction them?

Cross play is a legal minefield, I was discussing it with a legal rep for one of the major publishers awhile back and he said that great as it is for gamers it is the worst thing to happen to them in a decade. He also feels that Nintendo's policy of forcing you to use a third party app is a deliberate attempt by them to try and not deal with harassment as they have in the past.
    Penn wrote: »
    I generally agree Darko, and if cross-play is out, it's out. However, the main issue a lot of people are complaining about is not being able to unlink their Epic account from the PS4 and use that Epic account on another platform, therefore losing all their skins etc. Even if you played on PC for months, then switched your account to PS4, all your skins and progress get locked to your PSN account and can't be unlinked from it.

This does tend to happen in other games, for example I don't think you can move your Overwatch progress/skins from one platform to another. The reason the focus is on Sony for this now is because they're the only platform who is not allowing it for this game (well, whether it's Sony or Epic) and the game gained most of its popularity on PS4, so a lot of people who have their skins and progress on PS4 would now have to set up a new Epic account for all other platforms.

I would theorise that the way the linking of PSN and Epic accounts for Fortnite on PS4 was setup in the beginning didn't allow for unlinking, as cross-play and moving your Epic account between other platforms likely wasn't on the cards at that point, the mechanism for allowing it simply may not have been factored into it. After all, Sony's PSN infrastructure tends to operate in different ways to XBL (eg. the complications with allowing users to change their PSN IDs).

Either way, if it is just down to Sony's decision, it's a fair enough business decision (why enable people to take their progress and play the game on another platform, thereby leaving your platform), but a poor PR decision.

My point is that if you first played on Xbox then you were unable to link to a PSN account, I had to make a second account on Epic for the game when I started playing the odd game with my brother.

I think that this may be an issue with how Epic set accounts up rather than something Sony did and until I hear something more concrete I'm not going attacking Sony and calling them out.

Dude, they should allow cross play same as everyone else. Any argument you come up with is completely without basis. If they said it's difficult but bear with us we are working hard to resolve the issues then fair enough. It is obvious this is a business decision to protect their dominance, as if anyone is going to buy an xbox over a ps4 because they can cross play with their buddies :confused:

Likewise allowing people to unlink their accounts.

My point is that if you first played on Xbox then you were unable to link to a PSN account, I had to make a second account on Epic for the game when I started playing the odd game with my brother.

That may have used to have been the way, but there is a mechanism now in place for moving your stuff from one platform to another through your Epic account. Just not with PSN.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2018/06/12/how-to-link-your-nintendo-switch-fortnite-account-to-xbox-one-pc-or-mobile-not-ps4/#1df1e28f6cb5

But once you've linked your account at any stage to PSN, you're stuck there.

I don't deny the issue may be on Epic's end, or simply the existing Sony PSN infrastructure which is restricting it rather than it being a decision on Sony's part, but you can move your stuff/progress between the other platforms now. Just not on PS4.

Penn wrote: »
    That may have used to have been the way, but there is a mechanism now in place for moving your stuff from one platform to another through your Epic account. Just not with PSN.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2018/06/12/how-to-link-your-nintendo-switch-fortnite-account-to-xbox-one-pc-or-mobile-not-ps4/#1df1e28f6cb5

But once you've linked your account at any stage to PSN, you're stuck there.

I don't deny the issue may be on Epic's end, or simply the existing Sony PSN infrastructure which is restricting it rather than it being a decision on Sony's part, but you can move your stuff/progress between the other platforms now. Just not on PS4.

I only tried to move my account to PS4 three weeks back. Before then I played it on Xbox and had to start a new account on PSN after trying to unlink my Xbox account and then link my PSN one. I'm not saying that Sony are not to blame but this could just as easily be an Epic screwup as them.
    Dude, they should allow cross play same as everyone else. Any argument you come up with is completely without basis. If they said it's difficult but bear with us we are working hard to resolve the issues then fair enough. It is obvious this is a business decision to protect their dominance, as if anyone is going to buy an xbox over a ps4 because they can cross play with their buddies :confused:

Likewise allowing people to unlink their accounts.

It's not as simple as saying let's just let it happen. Cross-platform is a legal minefield and there are some very real risks to it from a ToS view point. For Epic it may be as simple as flicking a switch but for Sony there are implications that you'd never think of.

How do you know Sony are at fault for issues with the accounts linking?

453287.jpg

(Cross post from humour thread, but you guys seem like you need some cheering up. :D )

• ^ :D

• I've read further into this. It really is pathetic from Sony what they have done here.

An no, it's nothing got to do with Epic Games

I've read further into this. It really is pathetic from Sony what they have done here.

An no, it's nothing got to do with Epic Games

I've seen nothing but speculation that this is to do with Sony and it .at well be but Epic saying there is nothing we can do is utter bs.

Playing devil's advocate here but if your items are stored sever side by Epic as others do then transferring an account to another platform should be easily achievable by Epic.

Take FIFA or CoD for example, all ingame unlocks, levelling and content is not stored by Sony or MS but by EA and Activision. Epic saying that there is nothing they can do feels like them not being that bothered by it and just not caring enough to move content. If they are so taken aback by all this and want to get gamers into the game with their stuff then why are they not offering to transfer levels and unlocks to newly created accounts on the Switch?

Epic are having their cake and eating it, they are trying to look like victims and at the same time doing absolutely nothing to help customers going so far as to say "sucks be nothing we can do".

Now this example involves content on the same platform but recently a friend of mine had serious issues with his Xbox account and FIFA, he was unable to access his ultimate team or play a game and he had a pretty great team. He went through loads of troubleshooting with the support, both Xbox and EA but neither could get it working and in the end EA moved all his content, unlocks, items and coins to a new account he created. If Epic really cared about ensuring that their players got to play with their PS4 content on Switch then they could add the content to a new account. Instead they are just doing nothing.

• Advertisement

I've seen nothing but speculation that this is to do with Sony and it .at well be but Epic saying there is nothing we can do is utter bs.

Playing devil's advocate here but if your items are stored sever side by Epic as others do then transferring an account to another platform should be easily achievable by Epic.

Take FIFA or CoD for example, all ingame unlocks, levelling and content is not stored by Sony or MS but by EA and Activision. Epic saying that there is nothing they can do feels like them not being that bothered by it and just not caring enough to move content. If they are so taken aback by all this and want to get gamers into the game with their stuff then why are they not offering to transfer levels and unlocks to newly created accounts on the Switch?

Epic are having their cake and eating it, they are trying to look like victims and at the same time doing absolutely nothing to help customers going so far as to say "sucks be nothing we can do".

Now this example involves content on the same platform but recently a friend of mine had serious issues with his Xbox account and FIFA, he was unable to access his ultimate team or play a game and he had a pretty great team. He went through loads of troubleshooting with the support, both Xbox and EA but neither could get it working and in the end EA moved all his content, unlocks, items and coins to a new account he created. If Epic really cared about ensuring that their players got to play with their PS4 content on Switch then they could add the content to a new account. Instead they are just doing nothing.

With all your talk of working for gaming publishers and chatting to legal execs, did it not occur to you that Sony possibly (probably) made Epic sign something to say that the accounts would have to be locked in this way and that's why Epic's hands are currently tied? Why else would there be complete silence from them on this issue? Microsoft PR are having a field day with this and every tweet that Sony have put out in the last 24 hours have been hit with dozens of replies about Fortnite but Sony are saying nothing. If it weren't Sony's doing, they would have been on social media all day telling people to talk to Epic.

Are you really suggesting that people should go to the trouble of creating a new account and then wait for Epic to migrate all content from their old accounts to these new ones, just to get around Sony's BS? Do you have any idea of the cost or hours this would take? Why should we have to do this?

As plenty of others have said but you don't seem to register, forget about cross play for now. The fact that anyone who ever played Fortnite on a PS4, whether it be 500 hours or 30 seconds, cannot move that account to the Switch or to any platform that Sony deem to be unacceptable, is a disgrace given that there was no prior warning when accounts were being linked first day.

• I've seen nothing but speculation that this is to do with Sony and it .at well be but Epic saying there is nothing we can do is utter bs.

If you move any account to a PS4 if it wasn't created on a PS4 then it won't work. Same if you try and use it in a Switch or an Xbox.

This has only been driven by Sony, and it's not the first time they have prevented cross platform play.

You are letting Sony bias get in the way of the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Murseyless

I'm actually a little taken aback at the bias you are holding for Sony here. I think everyone with half a brain agrees that this is Sony's issues on the backend pure and simple.

Sony deserve the ridicule they're recieving at the moment, their whole position on cross play is draconian.

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    With all your talk of working for gaming publishers and chatting to legal execs, did it not occur to you that Sony possibly (probably) made Epic sign something to say that the accounts would have to be locked in this way and that's why Epic's hands are currently tied? Why else would there be complete silence from them on this issue? Microsoft PR are having a field day with this and every tweet that Sony have put out in the last 24 hours have been hit with dozens of replies about Fortnite but Sony are saying nothing. If it weren't Sony's doing, they would have been on social media all day telling people to talk to Epic.

Are you really suggesting that people should go to the trouble of creating a new account and then wait for Epic to migrate all content from their old accounts to these new ones, just to get around Sony's BS? Do you have any idea of the cost or hours this would take? Why should we have to do this?

As plenty of others have said but you don't seem to register, forget about cross play for now. The fact that anyone who ever played Fortnite on a PS4, whether it be 500 hours or 30 seconds, cannot move that account to the Switch or to any platform that Sony deem to be unacceptable, is a disgrace given that there was no prior warning when accounts were being linked first day.

If Epic signed something meaning that accounts could not be moved then that it on them and it is their job to fix it for anyone who wants their content on another platfrom. If Epic made an anti-user decision such as the one you theorise then it is up to them to find a solution and not Sony.

I'm not saying that this isn't Sony's mess but at the same time even if it is that does not let Epic off the hook. Game levels, unlocks, cosmetic items, weapons and so on are unlikely to be stored by Sony, it's Epic who controls that data and if they care as much about the player base as some think then they'd be migrating this content to new account users have made on the Switch or other. Instead, they've pretty much said, "not our problem, nothing we can do". I wonder if EA would get such support if Battlefield was cross platform and they weren't being proactive in getting a fix?

Are you suggesting that because it may take some time to move content from one account to another that it lets Epic's complete lack of any movement on this acceptable? They store all the game data so there is no reason that affected customers can't contact Epic and have content moved. I'm sure a company making $200 million a month can find ways to move it. It's not ideal but it's at least a start which is certainly more helpful than tweeting bad things at Sony.
    If you move any account to a PS4 if it wasn't created on a PS4 then it won't work. Same if you try and use it in a Switch or an Xbox.

This has only been driven by Sony, and it's not the first time they have prevented cross platform play.

You are letting Sony bias get in the way of the truth.

Why is it whenever someone doesn't jump to conclusions or follow the twitter toxicity trend they are accused of being biased. I have no loyalty to any publisher, dev or billion dollar company. All I care about is playing the best possible games and as such when something like this occurs I actually want to know the facts before jumping to conclusions. Sony may 100% be responsible for this but till we know this for sure then it's a too soon to blame them. Their silecnce may seem like it's saying a lot but Epic's silence also says much.
    Murseyless wrote: »
    I'm actually a little taken aback at the bias you are holding for Sony here. I think everyone with half a brain agrees that this is Sony's issues on the backend pure and simple.

Sony deserve the ridicule they're recieving at the moment, their whole position on cross play is draconian.

No bias whatsoever, merely pointing out that it may not be as simple as flicking a switch. This could just as easily be an issue on Epic's end than Sony's. It's very easy to jump to conclusions but till we know more I'll be holding off on making rash judgements.

Sony's position on cross-play may appear draconian but from a ToS and business perspective, there are a number of issues in relation to cross-play that would need to be looked at. It really is not as simple as flicking a switch, it takes a lot of work and legally it's a possible minefield.

Does anyone really believe that X-box would be so behind cross-play if the One hadn't been the colossal failure it is? Funny now to see all the gamers championing MS as a shining example of what gaming should be when a few years ago their draconian actions toward game sharing and always online was what killed the one.

This entire discussion is what makes discussion around gaming so pointless, if you don't toe the line and off a different perspective you are accused of being biased or out right attacked. Epic are getting off without so much as a negative comment over all this but the fact remains that if Epic did make a cotnract with Sony which caused this issue then it is as much Epic's fault then Sony's. You can't sign something that restricts user accoutns being moved and then when the users realise just say "nothing we can do".

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Murseyless

Darko, this is an interesting discussion and I can apologise for coming across as heavy handed but you are clearly biased. This isn't even a discussion about Xbox, it's about epic games, Sony and Nintendo and yet you still find the time to drag Xbox into it?

The bottom line is no other platform is having the same "issue" as Sony. This ""issue" fits in line with their previous shenanigans at cross play and their silence on the matter is deafening.

Saw what you will about their ToS, but if that's to blame then they are not consumer friendly and therefore it's still Sonys fault.

You have nothing to gain from defending them so I have to ask, why?

Murseyless wrote: »
    Darko, this is an interesting discussion and I can apologise for coming across as heavy handed but you are clearly biased. This isn't even a discussion about Xbox, it's about epic games, Sony and Nintendo and yet you still find the time to drag Xbox into it?

The bottom line is no other platform is having the same "issue" as Sony. This ""issue" fits in line with their previous shenanigans at cross play and their silence on the matter is deafening.

Saw what you will about their ToS, but if that's to blame then they are not consumer friendly and therefore it's still Sonys fault.

You have nothing to gain from defending them so I have to ask, why?

I am not biased in the least, unlike you and others I just prefer to have all the facts before I damn someone. Sony may very well be 100% at fault for this debacle but till there is concrete evidence it's not even a he said, she said argument as neither has said much. Not jumping to conclusions does not make you biased.

Just to add once have I defended Sony, I've merely pointed out that there are a number of complicated reasons for why cross-play is not as simple as flicking a switch as many seem to think. If this was about Nintendo or MS being in a similar position as Sony are now then I would make the same argument for them, I didn't realise that by not jumping on the bandwagon I was biased or defensive. I have worked for a number of the big publishers and spent time working in the ToS department of one of the largest companies in the world and am only offering a little insight. I've first-hand experience of the legal hurdles that need to be overcome in situations such as this and I saw first hand how a legal department put a stop to one of the bigger titles of the past decade not having any crossplay because of reasons that no one would ever have thought were an issue.

I used Xbox simply because they are using this to appear like some friend to the players and people are lapping it up and forgetting the past. Gamers have short memories and I was merely pointing that out. No publisher or developer is a friend to gamers, their number one interest is shareholders and it's worth remembering.

What you and others seem to be ignoring is that even if Sony made Epic sign something tieing accounts to the PS4 then this was Epic's doing and they are responsible unless Sony sent around some thugs to force them to sign the contract against their will.

If Epic made a decision that results in their customers being at a disadvantage then it is them who needs to find a solution and no one else. All account info and in-game content is stored by Epic and no one else. Instead of shrugging their shoulders and saying there is nothing they can do they should be looking to offer users a transfer of their content rather than just doing nothing.

In fairness, I would note that Sony haven't been completely silent on the matter. I saw this on BBC News this morning

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44477524
    Sony has yet to confirm it is responsible for the constraint, but it issued the following statement to the BBC.

"We're always open to hearing what the PlayStation community is interested in to enhance their gaming experience," it said.

"With... more than 80 million monthly active users on PlayStation Network, we've built a huge community of gamers who can play together on Fortnite and all online titles.

"We also offer Fortnite cross-play support with PC, Mac, iOS, and Android devices, expanding the opportunity for Fortnite fans on PS4 to play with even more gamers on other platforms."

"We have nothing further to add beyond this at this point," a spokeswoman added.

Ultimately, while I don't disagree that Sony should help facilitate unlocking your items across different platforms (linked through your Epic account) if it is possible, it's likely that before the game was released, things were set up in such a way to not allow it, because nobody knew it was something that was going to happen. Likewise, I think that the onus for providing a warning that linking your Epic account to your PSN account locks your items to your PSN account would be on Epic, as it's a warning that would happen within the game during that process.

I'm not absolving Sony of responsibility in all this. I think they should do whatever they can to facilitate sharing your account to different platforms, and if they can't for a specific reason they need to come out and say so to put the issue to bed. Even if they're not allowing cross-play, they should work with Epic to allow people to use their items on different platforms through the same Epic account. Either way, they need to communicate better on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The community won't like that response to the BBC. It was a further "F" U comment.

This is an incredibly embarrassing situation for Playstation given Nintendo are all good with cross platform.

After that E3 you'd think they'd be trying to win some goodwill with the community.

It will be a massive win for the community if Playstation opens up to full cross platform support.

It's sad to see such anti gamer BS by a platform like Playstation. They need to read their own slogan "4 the players"

I am proud of the Playstation playerbase that are taking a stance against this. It feels like Playstation has exhausted its goodwill and gamers are starting to see through the BS.

In other news: finally did week 7 challenges and got my Blockbuster skin! Risky Reels can feck off!!! What a nightmare of a challenge on first day!

Skins is pretty tight, but the highlight is the backpack, it has cape!!!

Level 62 and tier 82. At least I will have full Carbide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

In other news: finally did week 7 challenges and got my Blockbuster skin! Risky Reels can feck off!!! What a nightmare of a challenge on first day!

Skins is pretty tight, but the highlight is the backpack, it has cape!!!

Level 62 and tier 82. At least I will have full Carbide.

You didn't hang about! :)
    I can't wait to get home from work and update for week 7. What is the Risky challenge, kills or chests?

Advertisement