Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fortnite

Options

Comments

Got the young lad the battle pass. He has his heart set on getting the Dark Voyager which is tier 70. He hasn't a hope, even with me helping him the grind is unreal - and that is with a 60%-80% boost that comes with the pass. I can see this game becoming an issue. He'll want a battle pass for next season. Not sure how much money I should let him pump into this. People keep saying isn't it great that it's free, it's absolutely nothing without the battle pass and there's a definite pay to get to the end aspect to it. Although it's all only cosmetics but the game is all about the cred that comes with the cosmetics. Very clever I have to admit, avoid the controversy by making purchases cosmetic only but then make the game all about the cosmetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 declank90

Yep I'm being cheap and grinding v-bucks from Save The World for the battle pass. I prefer STW though over BR.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TheBoyFromAus

Fair play to the devs, they know how to claw back their money from a free game. Personally, i wont be arsed spending money on cosmetic items.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭klose

Downloaded it last week after hearing a few friends mention it and often seeing videos on Facebook related to it and I must say it's the most fun I've had playing online in years, good old simple fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I bought the Battle Pass for the Season 2 and you were able to earn more than 1,000 vbucks in rewards as you level up. The price for Season 3 Battle Pass is still 950 vbucks so if you earned the 1,000 vbucks from season 2 rewards, then you don't have to pay a single cent for the Season 3 one. Epic has also stated that future Battle Passes will also still be 950 vbucks, so really you only have to pay real money for the battle pass once. You just need to play enough to earn at least 950 vbucks to buy the next one.

The daily challenges in season 2 were very easy to do. Most days I would get them done in under 20 minutes. I got to Tier 70 with like 15 days to spare. This season, by Tier 59 you will have earned 1,000 vbucks. And only 2 weeks in, I'm already at Tier 42. So only 17 more Tiers until I have earned enough vbucks to pay for the next one. The Battle Pass is very good value imo, you only have to pay €9.99 once and for future battle passes you just use the vbucks rewards you earn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Havnt paid a cent for the game yet and was thinking of getting the battle pass. Above post made my mind up, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

First solo win last night :)

I really need to start building more, I got down to the last 7 and I had the high ground. Was very close to dying from someone with an ar in the distance so I threw up a quick base and thats what helped me win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Bought the new battle pass when it first came out. It's probably one of the only games I play so it's the least I could have done.

If anyone is playing on PS4 add me on Dyl_Redmondo.

jamescd wrote: »
    I bought the Battle Pass for the Season 2 and you were able to earn more than 1,000 vbucks in rewards as you level up. The price for Season 3 Battle Pass is still 950 vbucks so if you earned the 1,000 vbucks from season 2 rewards, then you don't have to pay a single cent for the Season 3 one. Epic has also stated that future Battle Passes will also still be 950 vbucks, so really you only have to pay real money for the battle pass once. You just need to play enough to earn at least 950 vbucks to buy the next one.

The daily challenges in season 2 were very easy to do. Most days I would get them done in under 20 minutes. I got to Tier 70 with like 15 days to spare. This season, by Tier 59 you will have earned 1,000 vbucks. And only 2 weeks in, I'm already at Tier 42. So only 17 more Tiers until I have earned enough vbucks to pay for the next one. The Battle Pass is very good value imo, you only have to pay €9.99 once and for future battle passes you just use the vbucks rewards you earn.
    Some people are very good at the game and progression favours the more skilled. I'd come myself an average player and I find the grind weighted too heavily against the player and more in favour of inticing money out of you. Nobody can deny them the right to make a profit on the game but I do feel a little more weighted towards your average Joe and they could have a real winner here.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

I am 100% addicted to this now. Can't wait to get home from work every evening to play it.
    Still haven't won a game but have finished 2nd a few times in squad and duo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

If anyone is on xbox im Blanchy090

Wouldn't mind playing some squads :)

What's everyone's stats like?
    Iv got:
    2 solo
    1 duo
    20 squad

2 Solo 3 Squad I think. Always have difficulty at the end when building comes into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

What's everyone's stats like?
    Iv got:
    2 solo
    1 duo
    20 squad

Solo: 65 Wins
    Duo: 57 Wins
    Squads: 3 Wins

I only play Squads for the challenges, such as "Outlive 150 opponents in Squad Mode" or "Place Top 6 in Squads" since I don't have a squad to play with. I always No Fill i.e. play solo, because I just find it easier to do challenges that way. And I somehow ended up winning 3 times by myself when all I wanted to do was finish the squad challenges as I said lol.

The best one had to be when I wiped an entire 4 man squad by myself for the win. They all had scars and 2 of them had RPG's. Probably the most satisfying win of them all, solos and duos wins included. I was literally screaming like a little girl after I won lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah I'd say myself I'm pretty skilled at killing and surviving in general , its the building that screws me over in solo , have no problem in squads when one of the other lads he's a master builder hides my weakness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Downloaded this last week. I'm pretty sh1t so i play squad games so the other teammates can carry me and it gives me time to practice and get better. Squad play is either great fun or extremely annoying depending on the team of randomers you get. If you end up with a good team and you last a long time and get down to the last handful of teams its good fun. If you end up with a sh1t team, you quickly find yourself on your own running up against squads of 4 and you are basically fcuked, you can't even get a kill because their teammates will just revive them after they kill you.

Funnily enough I won on my third time playing squad play in the most ridiculous way as i didn't have a clue how to play (i've never played first person shooters before not to mention battle royale-type games). Basically i landed with a very good team and the first time i died in this game, i thought it was over, i didn't even know teammates could revive me lol, they end up reviving me 2 more times. At one stage in the game, i was trapped on the bottom floor of a fort my guys had built and i didn't know how to get out. I was trapped for at least a few minutes while my teammates were in what appeared to be multiple battles. Eventually as the storm came, i figured out that i could use my pickaxe to smash through the walls.

Anyway the team survives to fight the only other team left despite carrying this idiot who has 0 kills, died 3 times and was trapped inside his own fort for a couple of minutes. All 3 teammates got out and charged at the opposition team (i follow a few seconds later as i had trouble jumping over a fence). Two teammates die but not after taking out all but one surviving enemy. So that leaves me and one teammate against one enemy. The teammate and enemy go at it, trading shots and i while standing still, miss every shot as the enemy guys jumps around. The enemy eventually kills my teammate and starts unloading on me, i get one fluky shot to land and i win! (i had only 10% energy left) My first ever kill and it won the squad match!

Hazys wrote: »
    Downloaded this last week. I'm pretty sh1t so i play squad games so the other teammates can carry me and it gives me time to practice and get better. Squad play is either great fun or extremely annoying depending on the team of randomers you get. If you end up with a good team and you last a long time and get down to the last handful of teams its good fun. If you end up with a sh1t team, you quickly find yourself on your own running up against squads of 4 and you are basically fcuked, you can't even get a kill because their teammates will just revive them after they kill you.

Funnily enough I won on my third time playing squad play in the most ridiculous way as i didn't have a clue how to play (i've never played first person shooters before not to mention battle royale-type games). Basically i landed with a very good team and the first time i died in this game, i thought it was over, i didn't even know teammates could revive me lol, they end up reviving me 2 more times. At one stage in the game, i was trapped on the bottom floor of a fort my guys had built and i didn't know how to get out. I was trapped for at least a few minutes while my teammates were in what appeared to be multiple battles. Eventually as the storm came, i figured out that i could use my pickaxe to smash through the walls.

Anyway the team survives to fight the only other team left despite carrying this idiot who has 0 kills, died 3 times and was trapped inside his own fort for a couple of minutes. All 3 teammates got out and charged at the opposition team (i follow a few seconds later as i had trouble jumping over a fence). Two teammates die but not after taking out all but one surviving enemy. So that leaves me and one teammate against one enemy. The teammate and enemy go at it, trading shots and i while standing still, miss every shot as the enemy guys jumps around. The enemy eventually kills my teammate and starts unloading on me, i get one fluky shot to land and i win! (i had only 10% energy left) My first ever kill and it won the squad match!

That's hilarious, did you record it by any chance?

jamescd wrote: »
    Solo: 65 Wins
    Duo: 57 Wins
    Squads: 3 Wins

I only play Squads for the challenges, such as "Outlive 150 opponents in Squad Mode" or "Place Top 6 in Squads" since I don't have a squad to play with. I always No Fill i.e. play solo, because I just find it easier to do challenges that way. And I somehow ended up winning 3 times by myself when all I wanted to do was finish the squad challenges as I said lol.

The best one had to be when I wiped an entire 4 man squad by myself for the win. They all had scars and 2 of them had RPG's. Probably the most satisfying win of them all, solos and duos wins included. I was literally screaming like a little girl after I won lol.

Some going, you play on PC

Some going, you play on PC

Thanks. I do indeed. I have a PS4 too, but haven't started playing Fortnite on it yet. Mostly because the left thumb stick on my Scuf controller is broken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

That's hilarious, did you record it by any chance?

No unfortunately not. At the time, it was only my third time playing so I thought winning would be a common occurrence...i haven't won since :o

Came 2nd and 3rd a bunch of times in squad games but the second win has eluded me.

Although I've got a lot better, i still have monumental F'ups. Last night for example (only 3 teams left); there is my team of 3 of us in a fort and a team of 2 that has just charged our fort and the 3rd team that is far away and out of the action.

The 2 enemies are charging us and trying to shoot down our fort. They blow a hole in the wall. My two teammates charge out, one gets killed instantly and the other teammate kills one of the other enemies and runs out after the other enemy. I start to revive my fallen teammate. As i'm reviving my teammate the other teammate is killed by the enemy. I'm hearing the footsteps of the enemy and it must have been 9.9 on the revive clock and i start to move early to get out my gun! Fcuk! I messed up the revive and i start again. I get to 3 seconds and the enemy comes around the corner so i pull my gun out and stop the revive. I hit the enemy a couple of times but he's got a shot gun. I'm dead and my team's dead. I damaged the enemy enough that the storm has just arrived and he's dead within seconds. The third team wins without having to lift a finger!

Two major f'ups! I stopped the revive probably 0.1 seconds too early, if i was able to revive the teammate we would have probably killed the enemy easily. The second f'up was not running out with the first teammate to kill the last enemy 2 v 1 and then just come back to revive the fallen teammate.

Still learning. This game is so much fun sometimes and other times its sends me into complete panic mode when you randomly get attacked or when it gets down to the last few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I've 18 solo wins. I've never played a squad or duo match. I've been playinng fps for 12+ years and I had a serious counter strike source addiction when I was a kid so my aim is pretty good but I'm not so fast with the building yet. Haven't played in a week or so must get back into it. It hasn't really hooked me like other shooter games have though.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

MadYaker wrote: »
    I've 18 solo wins. I've never played a squad or duo match. I've been playinng fps for 12+ years and I had a serious counter strike source addiction when I was a kid so my aim is pretty good but I'm not so fast with the building yet. Haven't played in a week or so must get back into it. It hasn't really hooked like other shooter games have though.

Just back into gaming after many many years away. Prob close to 10. Never got into fps was always sports games or RPGs. I absolutely suck at fortnite but like the game. Think I'm at huge disadvantage from a) being so long away from consoles and b) not having played many shooters before. Have managed a few seconds mainly from playing stealthily. I'm a rivals dream for heads up. Can't shoot can't build :-)
    Hey if anyone fancies carrying me on ps4 version my gamertag is celticbhoy27 (same as here). Could do with some pointers in duos or squads

I'm on PC. I cant play shooters with a controller I literally couldn't hit a billboard from 10 metres using those sticks.

DTFm2iwVQAAI4dv.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Totally forgot to check if there was a Fortnite thread. I play regularly on PS4 with a friend. Usually as a duo but would be great to play as a squad.

PSN ID: TheFaceman101

Hazys wrote: »

My favourite part of all this is you missing a fight after having an intense battle with a fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Used to be big into online gaming a couple of years back but found myself drifting away from it over the last number of years. Both myself a Playstation 4 two years ago, advice from a friend, and really had just been using it for Netflix after work.

When Fortnite started to be spread over social media I heard it was free. Then was in touch with some of my friends I used to play with and 4 of us downloaded the game and fell back into the occasional game. Now I was never a brilliant gamer but normally could have held my own, when I started off however I was awful. Couldn't hold my own at all.

With work can be hard to find time and for the first 2/3 weeks of casually playing every now and then I had failed to win any games. Came in top 3 a number of times but no good.

Closest we had come in that period was when I played squad with one of my friends. The two others in our team dropped to separate locations and got eliminated very early, so we thought we had no chance. Somehow found ourselves scraping any encounter we bumped into. We were running to stay out of the storm late in the game when we saw people building in front of us, I was sniping while my friend ran in shooting, and by God we won the encounter outnumbered 3 to 2.
    Had a quick glance at the remaining players as the storm was closing in at this point, only 1 other person was left. Save to say we both couldn't believe our luck, we were looting the recently conquered team and laughing at the thought of this one person left hiding. We got sloppy. Up in the mountain beside us someone must have been watching our previous battle my friend was taken down with one shot. We we're stuck out in the open. He pipped me with a shot while I built around myself, I needed to bandage up. I could hear him building down to us closing in on the kill. I hadn't time to heal, got him with a shot before being blown apart. We were devastated.

During the snowstorms it was great. Played a lot with my friends. We've improved too. Not brilliant like some people here but got 3 wins last week which I was happy with. To be fair it's not even about the winning now for me. It's just great to be back playing and having fun with my friends who I used to play with. Especially now since I've moved abroad and don't see them in person as much.

May be a free game, but it's lit up the gaming flame in me again and helped me keep in touch with friends so it is definitely down as one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I think I've about 14 solo wins out of 190 matches and that's it. I've only played duos 3 times and a couple of dozen in squads but we've never quite made it there.

I need to start building more, but at the same time I get great satisfaction out of going full-on stealth and not giving my position away. That doesn't mean I spend all my time camping, I do like going into scraps, I just like the more stealthy strategic element of things.

I'd love if they introduced a game mode without the resource gathering and building, it think it would be interesting to see how things develop with that. That would likely mean that some parts of the map will be off limits, but if they could work around that it would make for a very different game.

• Advertisement

Nailz wrote: »
    I think I've about 14 solo wins out of 190 matches and that's it. I've only played duos 3 times and a couple of dozen in squads but we've never quite made it there.

I need to start building more, but at the same time I get great satisfaction out of going full-on stealth and not giving my position away. That doesn't mean I spend all my time camping, I do like going into scraps, I just like the more stealthy strategic element of things.

I'd love if they introduced a game mode without the resource gathering and building, it think it would be interesting to see how things develop with that. That would likely mean that some parts of the map will be off limits, but if they could work around that it would make for a very different game.

That mode would create a lot more unknowns for players on the battleground.

Advertisement