Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Showing common sense?

You can't just make the law up as you go along though. No country, other than extremely corrupt ones, do that!

The regulations are there for a good reason - to balance the stadium's needs with the needs of the residents.

Building a huge stadium in a ridiculous location was a decision made for 'cultural reasons'.

This is the major problem in Ireland - we always have this notion that you can have things every way.

You can't have a major stadium in the middle of a city centre without expecting planning restrictions and usage restrictions and everyone seemed to think it was a totally sensible idea to upgrade Croke Park to the level of an enormous stadium without any considerations of how they'd get people in/out of there.

The reality is that we've a huge stadium in the wrong place that can only be occasionally used to full capacity.

I think they should have made Croke Park an iconic GAA HQ and maybe training centre.

Then built a new major stadium out along the N7 somewhere. It'd have had access to major motorway, the M50 to Dublin Airport... big population centres in Dublin, Cork, Limerick etc fed to it by motorway.

It'd also have the option of having a major rail link into it using a spur off the Cork line.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    That's exactly my point in fact. It's all about Brooks's ego and the hype. He's not being treated like a king, so like a rather typical music diva, he's throwing his toys out of the pram, and to hell with the fans who want to see him.

His fans wouldn't be let down in the slightest by a scaled-down gig. It's music. It would be described as "low-key", "intimate" and "unique", and the fans who attend will forever wax lyrical about the unique Brooks gig that they went to which wasn't a big flash stage affair, but a purely musical affair, a performance from the heart.

Brooks wants his big and flashy and if he can't have it, then no-one can.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Can I just point out that I'm not a Garth Brooks fan (not saying I don't like him, I'm honestly a bit ignorant of him and have probably heard his songs, but I don't listen to him at all and wouldn't be able to point out a song of his even if it's a song I know). I had no tickets for this show and most of my friends didn't either.

I'm not asking for a change because I specifically want Garth Brooks to play these gigs. I'm asking for a change because I don't want to live in a country in which the capital city isn't able to stage big international events like this because of a bunch of laws which make it difficult to do so, I want to live in a country in which we do everything we can to attract such events and all the tourism and banter which comes with them. Obviously not everyone has to agree with me, I'm merely setting out my own stance on all this. It's not about Brooks himself, it's about the principle that in the capital city of a modern country which claims to be an innovative, happening place, it shouldn't be in any way surprising or difficult when that capital city regularly plays host to large events. Events in Ireland are massively popular as I've mentioned before, and if the only reason we're not internationally renowned as an entertainment centre is because of too many regulations getting in the way, then in my view those regulations should go. It's the same reason I object to curfews in places like Grafton St and Temple Bar even though I only rarely get the chance to take part in such late-night events. It's about the principle that a capital city shouldn't have laws designed to enforce a psuedo-rural existence.

If others would rather live in a capital city in which events like these are the rare exception than the regular norm then that's absolutely fair enough. I'm merely outlining my own preference here.

I agree with licensing regulation for pubs and clubs. It's far too regulated. And we need to get cafe bars in as well.

But to be fair we allow people to sell tickets to events that they haven't received permission to run. That's what caused this. And that's pretty relaxed as regulations go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Grayson wrote: »
    I agree with licensing regulation for pubs and clubs. It's far too regulated. And we need to get cafe bars in as well.

But to be fair we allow people to sell tickets to events that they haven't received permission to run. That's what caused this. And that's pretty relaxed as regulations go.

I don't think 'we allow'. It's more a question of : nothing has gone horribly wrong so far, so they continue to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

SpaceTime wrote: »
    We have stadia in stupid places is the main reason for that! Almost every other city I can think of has major out-of-town event centres that can host these kinds of gigs without any major disruption to the city centre or to busy traffic routes.

The reason Croke Park appears as a 3 sided stadium is purely to do with the fact that the GAA insisted on rebuilding a huge stadium in a heavily residential area, they were not permitted to build a proper tier on the hill 16 end and also had restrictive conditions attached to the planning permission. They were at the time asked to reconsider the plans and were asked to consider a green field site away from residential areas, but in their wisdom the dug their heels in and got a 3 sided stadium with restrictive planning permission. Fast forward........... Garthgate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

iguana wrote: »
    A major purpose of a democracy is to ensure that the rights of a minority are not over-ridden by the wants of a majority.
    Its also odd that many people presume only the local residents would be concerned about this. As though nobody has empathy and that nobody else would have an interest in how this panned out.

I am sure many people around the country who have gigs like this in their vicinity were watching this with bated breath, to see if some precedent comes out of it. It could effect house prices in an area if suddenly any number of gigs could be announced and be approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

So is this whole Brooks fiasco over yet? Dear Jesus please let the refunds start soon so we can just put it behind us. I'm sick to death of hearing about this twat. I can't stand him and it's just ridiculous now. Fans coming on this defending the guy are nuts. He had a chance to perform and he didn't. Doesn't give a rats ass about his fans, take the hint and move on.

Refunds processing start on Tuesday next, TM had extra staff in yesterday and today to prepare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

what happened here was a few nimbys were able to stop a large amount of people
    Like Aer Lingus cabin crew ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Building a huge stadium in a ridiculous location was a decision made for 'cultural reasons'.

You could trace this disaster back to that decision very easily. If the GAA had been sensible they'd have built on a green field site a stadium fit for purpose in every respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

I'm starting to see the residents point off view...
    My friend lives beside quite a large school, and twice a day basically for 8 months off the year he has to deal with cars blocking his road blocking his drive etc etc, and this school is in a large housing estate, so most residents nearby suffer the same fate day in day out.......
    I can only imagine how the residents near Croke Park will feel for 5 days! Eh no I can't actually, bless them:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Finally caught up with this thread after much trying.

I have to say I've not seen this level of butthurt since they woke up the gimp in Pulp Fiction.

"Oh Garth, please come over, our butts hurt so bad without you, please, please, PLEASE"

Anyway, now that everyone up to and including Mr Enda 'charisma vacuum' Kenny stepped into a planning matter can he kindly tell those bucko's in Sligo and Mayo to go and shïte if they think we're all willing to pay more for lecky because they don't want to ruin their view with a couple of cables. Cable's, I might add, used to power their demi-gods stage performance. Well that's if he get up off his hoop and do the shows he said he would do originally.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Sam Kade wrote: »
    So arse biscuits doesn't like Garth brooks songs, who cares?

You cared enough to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Happyman42 wrote: »
    You could trace this disaster back to that decision very easily. If the GAA had been sensible they'd have built on a green field site a stadium fit for purpose in every respect.

Then major events could be held, 5 consecutive concerts with no problems, good transport links to the whole country so people could come and go easily, and everybody would be a happy man ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

We need a more relaxed attitude in this country to pretty much everything.

A relaxed attitude didn't work out for us too well during the Celtic Tiger years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I've lost interest in this following Garth's refusal of a compromise last night.

I assume there have been no developments today?

GB came across as an awful douche in the press conference yesterday. And expecially afterwards, declining the matinee option even though he didn't rule it out in the press conference and was all, "I'll do everything in my power except cancel."

Thanks but no thanks Garth. Been fun while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

secman wrote: »
    The best way forward, Every venue in the country to be assessed and allocated a maximum amount of events per annum... Don't use them.....lose them in that year. Venue owners, promoters, artists Councils can never fck up............happy days
    no, they must be able to use them when they see fit, infact they must be able to use the venues to the full potential

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Aiken is either dim, economical with the truth, arrogant or a combination of all 3 when he said he did not forsee any problem with 5 on top of the guaranteed 3 ( i say guaranteed , once all criteria are met,.. safety etc)

Ditto to Croke Park on that front too.

Anyone else note that in one of Garth's press releases that he stated that he learnt the concerts were cancelled after Aiken said Garth had said no. It sounds like that Aiken hadn't Brooks' ear as he claimed in the early days of this.

People wondering why the GAA rebuilt Croke Park and didn't move to a greenfield site was because of a number of reasons; the mess up no real sign of the National Stadium/Bertie Bowl, tradition and they were lead to believe that they would be granted a train station under the Davin Stand to reduce traffic which was later refused due to H&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Every venue in the country to be assessed and allocated a maximum amount of events per annum... Don't use them.....lose them in that year.
    The recent proposal had more complex plans. Something like 9 concerts over the next 3 years with no more than 4 or 5 in one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Piliger wrote: »
    I agree 1000%. Brooks has behaved with integrity and class all through this whole fiasco. The legislation that allows a few dozen sour fascist cranks to control what other people do is a complete disgrace and reverts our country back to the pigs in the parlour image in the eyes of the rest of the world.

They knew they were living beside a big stadium and should be told to suck it up.
    LOL, i actually thought you were being sarcastic when you said Brooks behaved with integrity and class. One thing he has proved is that he has zero class, and he's a businessman first, artist second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

What actually happened is..... Croke park used up their guaranteed 3 gigs.......knew then they were on thin ice.........allowed Aiken to sell 5 more gigs, which under the planning permission granted were always at risk once the permit was applied for, DCC got the permit application on 17th April or thereabouts....... under law had to wait the full 10 weeks and give their decision, and in fairness they were allowing a further 3 gigs.

Aiken is either dim, economical with the truth, arrogant or a combination of all 3 when he said he did not forsee any problem with 5 on top of the guaranteed 3 ( i say guaranteed , once all criteria are met,.. safety etc)
    not at all, if he forsaw a problem he wouldn't have applied for the licences, he didn't forsee a problem and applied

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

You are right there. Elvis is number 1 - it's a myth already discussed a few pages back. Or Michael Jackson if you want US artists only.

They are both dead and still outselling him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

not at all, if he forsaw a problem he wouldn't have applied for the licences, he didn't forsee a problem and applied

If he foresaw a problem possibly he wouldn't have sold the tickets before applying for the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Massive security risk? :D:D:D

Having 160000 people within a radius of a few kilometers in claustrophobic confines = recipe for disaster.

Again, all of the above isn't and can never be the concern of our legislature.

If he didn't forsee a problem with 5 nights, I suggest he is unfit to run gigs.
    I could have told you that and these boards where discussing it from the get go. See the threads on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Majority of that tripe a cut and paste from yesteday..

Don't even know how to cut and paste on the device I'm using, so eh.. jog on.
    Why is it farcical to think that Brooks, Aiken, CP are lying?
    I said why in the post. Maybe you know.. read it.
    seamus wrote: »
    Brooks is the one who said 400,000 need to get fcuked.

No, that is your interpretation of his stance on the issue, don't make it so.

He wants to play all the concerts which he has sold tickets for. That is not telling anyone to "get fcuked". It's not his fault that the country the concerts are sold in, has a fcuking joke of a council who sat around for three months with their thumb up their arse.
    ...... under law had to wait the full 10 weeks and give their decision..

Hogwash of the highest order!

The deadline for submitting applications is ten weeks. If the DCC had to wait ten weeks "by law" before they could make their decision, then that would mean concerts, which only had their licence applications submitted just before the deadline, would at the very quickest only have have it granted..... THE DAY OF THE CONCERT!!

Any more nuggets of wisdom for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Piliger wrote: »
    I agree 1000%. Brooks has behaved with integrity and class all through this whole fiasco.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭derokid

Ah end of the road my old adversary - we meet again!!!

As I said to you way way back... these gigs would not go ahead Maybe you will believe me now.

Did you know that Croke Park were even offered to have rejections removed and allow all 5 nights go ahead in return for a Moratorium of no event next year...

But their reply was... NO... due to commitments already in the pipeline... Let me assure you that the licence for those gigs will be in on time...!!!

Greed by my neighbour Crok Park Ltd is the reason why 400,000 people aren't getting to see Garthy Brook$...

Ah well you fought well my friend... But it is now time for you to surrender the battle as I think that even if he goes ahead with 3 days and the matinee's... even for him and the the war is over!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement