Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

His 5 or none demand.
    Nobody is giving him that, so effectively by not eating grass and playing he is telling 400,000 people to.....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hyperbole, c'mon Permabear you know better than to make ridiculous posts like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Like Aer Lingus cabin crew ......

who have nothing to do with this thread, grow up

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

derokid wrote: »
    Ah end of the road my old adversary - we meet again!!!

As I said to you way way back... these gigs would not go ahead Maybe you will believe me now.

Did you know that Croke Park were even offered to have rejections removed and allow all 5 nights go ahead in return for a Moratorium of no event next year...

But their reply was... NO... due to commitments already in the pipeline... Let me assure you that the licence for those gigs will be in on time...!!!

Greed by my neighbour Crok Park Ltd is the reason why 400,000 people aren't getting to see Garthy Brook$...

Ah well you fought well my friend... But it is now time for you to surrender the battle as I think that even if he goes ahead with 3 days and the matinee's... even for him and the the war is over!!!
    only you are suggesting its a battle. there was no greed on the GAA or promotors side, just the nimbys using THE CONCERTS TO CAUSE TROUBLE BECAUSE OF their issues with the GAA

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,184 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Ah the poor soul, let us all bow to the Brooks method and ego

Yes, he is doing that alright and the mugs still flock to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Just listening to John Delaney (FAI President) on the radio saying the doors in the Aviva are open for the concerts. I'm sure the residents in Ballsbridge and surrounding area would love that!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭derokid

only you are suggesting its a battle. there was no greed on the GAA or promotors side, just the nimbys using THE CONCERTS TO CAUSE TROUBLE BECAUSE OF their issues with the GAA

First of all EOTR... it's Croke Park/GAA seperate entity from GAA itself!

If there was no greed why use up their 3 gigs and then come out with 2 more, then another, then another and sure throw another one in there as well...

and all of this with no licence and breaking agreements with local residents...

As for Aiken... they've been in it long enough to know how the system works!!!

Anyway all gone and I'm looking forward to a quiet weekend at the end of July!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Spot on. People just seem to want to see him as greedy and uncaring without there anything to back it up. He says the atmosphere of the concerts he performed here was the greatest he ever experienced, and people suggest he's making that up. He picks Dublin out of all the places in the world for these shows and this is said to be because he had no choice, as he isn't popular anywhere else in the world and the reason he just wants to play five concerts, is so he can cash in. You wouldn't mind if any of this stuff could be backed up, but it can't, as it's a million miles away from the reality of the situation. The guy is filthy rich ffs and all evidence makes it clear that how he says he feels about Ireland, is 100% genuine.

Whether country music is your bag or not, or you find it cringe-worthy, or you think Brooks is the biggest douche on the planet, I just don't know how anyone could question his sincerity when he says he wants to do the best thing for the Irish fans. Here's a few clips from the Croke Park show back in the 90s and I think it's clear that the concert that he was having a blast and so have no idea where it comes from that he isn't legit when he says what he does about that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

That sounds laudable, but its going to result in many many more of his fans being out of pocket for transport and hotels etc.

Maybe he could have offered a full refund for any fans who didn't want to go to the lite show or even offered a partial refund to each of them, but calling off the whole thing for all 400,000 seems like an extreme reaction to the problem of some of them not getting the full Garth treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Any truth in people marching to the GPO for the concert to go ahead, few people on social network have been saying there is one :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

Christy whatshisface lord mayor guy on the news yet again. really milking this for all its worth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

An aside. Good country music is fúcking great, bad country music (Garth Brooks is in this category) is dross and yes, cringeworthy. If he was good, he wouldn't have the amount of fans he has. I realise I sound like a music snob now, but TBH I don't really care.

It's irrelevant though to the fact that he's an egotistical baby.

Ah, the ol' meatheaded 'begrudgery' conclusion. Up there with vein-popping "Your jus jellus, OMG, lulz!" proclamations. Classic.

Ah, and venting at the civil servants of this country. It's a great skill that you manage to shoehorn your tedious preoccupations into every single thread you comment within. Well done, sir, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

So what about his 50,000,000 other fans around the world? Are they not going to get the "full Garth"? I mean, if he will cancel all 5 Irish shows so he doesn't have to give a sub standard show during the two matinees, and if the atmosphere is always that extra special in Ireland, then it follows that concerts in places like Sheffield, Boise or Dortmund must be lacking that atmosphere and must be a bit crap by comparison.

But he's still going to play, knowing his droids aren't getting the full Garth/Dublin experience. I don't know how his artistic integrity can live with him.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Don't even know how to cut and paste on the device I'm using, so eh.. jog on.

I said why in the post. Maybe you know.. read it.

I love the way you selectively pick which parts of my post to quote. You conveniently chose to ignore the question about Aiken's integrity when he said Brooks said he wanted to do the afternoon shows. So who's lying? The honourable Peter Aiken or Saint Garth?

As for the rest of your tripe, if you want to keep coming on here and embarrassing yourself with ridiculous statements, plough on..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

seamus wrote: »
    Hyperbole, c'mon Permabear you know better than to make ridiculous posts like that.

Is it not also hyperbolic to say that he told 400,000 people to 'get fcuked'?!

He was never gonna do 2 shows on any single day.. he said so himself even before DCC agreed to the insane proposal.

Whatever about the commercial impact it had for him, expecting anyone to do two grandstand stadium gigs 5-6 hours apart is just totally unrealistic. You'd have lads backstage working at least 24-48 hours straight. And when things like production quality and safety are of paramount importance? lol

I don't like the man or his music, but it's laughable when others who also don't; feel qualified to dictate the manner and conditions in which he performs for those who have actually paid money to see him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Any truth in people marching to the GPO for the concert to go ahead, few people on social network have been saying there is one :eek:

It was announced on the tv3 news there anyway. They said residents and fans that want the concerts to go ahead

[QUOTE=Wishiwasa Littlebitaller;91234405

The deadline for submitting applications is ten weeks. If the DCC had to wait ten weeks "by law" before they could make their decision, then that would mean concerts, which only had their licence applications submitted just before the deadline, would at the very quickest only have have it granted..... THE DAY OF THE CONCERT!!
    [/QUOTE]

That's the risk (probably an unnecessary risk in most cases) a promoter would take by waiting for 10 weeks before the concert to submit his/her application.

The sensible alternative would be to submit it well before the concert date to ensure messes like this wouldn't happen. If not possible, make sure you have all your ducks in a row and get all interested stakeholders on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,184 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No the fact he refused to play 3 shows means many tens of thousands of his fans will lose money - he does not care about them

Tarzana wrote: »
    An aside. Good country music is fúcking great

I agree!

Is it not also hyperbolic to say that he told 400,000 people to 'get fcuked'?!

Er, that's what he was saying. That his post (seamus's post) was *clearly* hyperbolic so obviously he wouldn't be providing a link and that it was ridiculous to ask for one.

I've no problem with him calling his own shots. What I have a problem with is him trying to call our shots.

No matter how rich, successful, generous, etc. that a person is, they do not have the right to pressure a country into changing its laws to feed his ego.

I agree!

Much love to the Dollys and Emmylous and Johnnys and Krises and Grams of this world. :)

I've no problem with him calling his own shots. What I have a problem with is him trying to call our shots.

The brass tacks of the matter. Spot on.

How do you know what his financial situation is?

I like many many others could see and hear his ego in operation yesterday. If he wanted so badly to play for all of his fans he would not, repeat, not have issued ultimatums to another country and its law makers. That is the actions of an over inflated ego. Instead he wopuld first have flown here and gotten involved in what he himself said was 'begging'. He chose to make a tit of himself doing it in front of media cameras.
    He sunk his ship doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

He was never gonna do 2 shows on any single day.. he said so himself even before DCC agreed to the insane proposal.

Whatever about the commercial impact it had for him, expecting anyone to do two grandstand stadium gigs 5-6 hours apart is just totally unrealistic. You'd have lads backstage working at least 24-48 hours straight. And when things like production quality and safety are of paramount importance? lol

But he mentioned matinees first, then Aiken put the proposal to DCC.

Whatever about lighting etc, and Garth being able to cope, I don't get the argument about backstage crew, vendors etc. Festivals seem to manage it pretty well, Pyramid stage at Glastonbury usually starts around noon and goes on throughout the afternoon and evening, without major breaks. Yes, acts will have their own instrument techs and sound and lighting 'directors', but the rig monkeys will be the same for all the acts. With the matinee idea, there would have been a break of a few hours, plenty of time for shift changes. How long is Garth's set usually? 2 hours? Springsteen has done 4, so surely his crew manage to keep the production levels up for the same length of time, without a break in between. And please, don't anyone tell me that Brooooooooooce doesn't do a top class show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

That's the risk (probably an unnecessary risk in most cases) a promoter would take by waiting for 10 weeks before the concert to submit his/her application.

Wooooossssssssh!!

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »
    But he mentioned matinees first, then Aiken put the proposal to DCC.

Whatever about lighting etc, and Garth being able to cope, I don't get the argument about backstage crew, vendors etc. Festivals seem to manage it pretty well, Pyramid stage at Glastonbury usually starts around noon and goes on throughout the afternoon and evening, without major breaks. Yes, acts will have their own instrument techs and sound and lighting 'directors', but the rig monkeys will be the same for all the acts. With the matinee idea, there would have been a break of a few hours, plenty of time for shift changes. How long is Garth's set usually? 2 hours? Springsteen has done 4, so surely his crew manage to keep the production levels up for the same length of time, without a break in between. And please, don't anyone tell me that Brooooooooooce doesn't do a top class show.

We managed to get over a million people from all over the country, into and out of the Phoenix Park in less technological 1979* ffs. Properly planned it is not that big an ask.

*****e gig though :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement